Save to PC instead of SD card - page 5 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Save to PC instead of SD card

• 78 Replies

Offline nafraf

Re: Save to PC instead of SD card
« Reply #40 on: 17 / March / 2015, 21:07:05 »
Advertisements
Line 56 is incrementing by 16 with every shot.
OK, PARAM_FILE_COUNTER seems to be fine.

Does ubtest.bas fail if you use trunk version from autobuild?

Out of curiosity, are you trying to build a book scanner? have you seen spreads?

Offline DaveX

« Reply #41 on: 17 / March / 2015, 21:47:05 »
I'm not trying to use this as a book scanner.  I take a lot of pictures for my business and having the cameras tethered to the PC makes it fast and easy.  I'll try ubtest.bas with the trunk version tomorrow AM and report back.

Offline DaveX

« Reply #42 on: 18 / March / 2015, 12:04:06 »
I just ran the test several times with the trunk build g9-100g-1.3.0-4043-full.  It appears to get the same error.  Plus, the test stops and the camera powers down after the third test shot is taken.  Log file attached.

I ran the test again with the last build you did for me, 4081, and it completed the tests successfully.  It had the error, but the tests ran all the way through and the camera was on when it completed.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #43 on: 18 / March / 2015, 17:24:41 »
I ran the test again with the last build you did for me, 4081, and it completed the tests successfully.  It had the error, but the tests ran all the way through and the camera was on when it completed.
Please check how many shots the camera actually shoots during the test.

Plus, the test stops and the camera powers down after the third test shot is taken.  Log file attached.
That means the camera crashed. If you can get a romlog, that might be helpful. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline DaveX

« Reply #44 on: 19 / March / 2015, 12:41:14 »
I loaded g9-100g-1.3.0-4075-full and ran the test.  It appeared to take three successful shots and crashed on the fourth sometime after the shutter release.  I saved the file, but I can't find it.  Where does it get stored?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #45 on: 19 / March / 2015, 13:51:03 »
I saved the file, but I can't find it.
The file is named romlog.log, it's in the card root.

Offline DaveX

« Reply #46 on: 19 / March / 2015, 14:06:21 »
I see it now that it's plugged into the PC, but it didn't show up when I was looking for it through CHDK PTP.  It is attached.

I'm having a problem with the camera running the latest build that supports JPG Remote Shoot.  The live display stops updating and I can't take a picture.  The Statistics box is showing that data is still being sent, but nothing else seems to work.  If I switch to Play and back to Rec it starts working again for a while.

I found that the 1.3 build does the same thing, you can shoot a couple of pictures, but after a while it will stop doing anything until it is switched to Play then back to Rec.

I thought this may be due to the fact that both cameras are going into a USB hub through a fairly long cable to the PC.  Without the hub the camera won't register with the PC, too long a cable I presume.  I ran a standard 6 foot cable to the 1.4 build camera and it still stops responding.  I'm not sure how to determine if it's a firmware issue or a CHDK PTP issue.

Also, is there somewhere to look up what cameras do support JPG Remote Shoot?  I could use a wider angle lens and am considering an SX500IS.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #47 on: 19 / March / 2015, 16:34:45 »
Also, is there somewhere to look up what cameras do support JPG Remote Shoot?  I could use a wider angle lens and am considering an SX500IS.
FWT column in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CameraFeatureTable

Also http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/User:Nafraf/RemoteShootIssues for some cameras which have the feature but are known to have problems.

edit:
I'm having a problem with the camera running the latest build that supports JPG Remote Shoot.  The live display stops updating and I can't take a picture.  The Statistics box is showing that data is still being sent, but nothing else seems to work.  If I switch to Play and back to Rec it starts working again for a while.
Is the camera going into power saving mode, with the physical display turning off? If so, try setting "Disable LCD off" to "always" in the CHDK settings menu.

If that isn't it, does the problem happen in the shooting process, or when the camera is idle?
« Last Edit: 19 / March / 2015, 16:40:04 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline DaveX

« Reply #48 on: 19 / March / 2015, 16:39:23 »
Perfect, thanks.

Offline DaveX

« Reply #49 on: 20 / March / 2015, 09:26:55 »
I was thinking about the ubtest results and it seemed odd that the stable build would have the failure that was showing up on every build I tried.  So I decided to check every build I had with both cameras, taking notes, to see what might be going on.  In my setup both cameras are running off the same power supply.  I've not had any issues with both being on at the same time, but tried it with one on and both on.  I have a nice table that shows which firmware version and the results with one camera on and both on.  If I had any doubts I was going to switch to battery power and repeat.  As it happens, there is no need for the table.

All tests passed with all firmware versions.  No failures.  That is until I switched back to 100g-1.3.0-4075.  Sometimes it would pass, sometimes it would crash, sometimes there would be the exposure count failure.  At first it seemed that when you started in play mode it would crash, then the first time after that starting in record mode it would have the failure, then it would pass.  However, I could not get the camera to crash when starting in play mode with any reliability.

So then I tried 100g-1.3.0-4043.  First test crashed the camera, second test had one failure, third test passed.

I've run the test several times on the other G9 with 100h-1.3.0-4075 and haven't had any failures or issues.  I'm wondering if it could be this particular camera with the 100g firmware in it.  I'm tempted to update the firmware on the g version to the h version but don't want to take a chance bricking the camera if it does have a problem.

I still have the issue where after a shot or two with CHDK PTP the live view stops updating and you need to go to play and back to record to get the camera paying attention again.  If you don't take any shots after putting the camera into record mode the live window keeps updating but the camera will not respond to commands after a while.  You have to go into play mode and back to get it to work again.  This happens with both trunks.  1.3.0 using local cmd = ("shoot -dl -rm") or "shoot" to take the shot and 1.4.0 using the JPG Remote Shoot function to take the shot.