Using CHDK on ubuntu 14.04 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Using CHDK on ubuntu 14.04

• 8 Replies
Using CHDK on ubuntu 14.04
« on: 25 / March / 2015, 14:12:55 »
Advertisements
Hi,
I am new to the world of CHDK.
I want to install CHDK on Canon PowerShot ELPH130IS.
I have downloaded the CHDK file and also tried loading CHDK firmware manually which worked fine for me.
Now I wish to install it using UBUNTU 14.04.
My requirements are, from ubuntu, the CHDK should be directly loaded into the camera and the script should run automatically without any human intervention.
OR we should be able to control the CHDK on camera through Linux Ubuntu Terminal Commands.

Is there any method for this?

Thanks a lot.

Offline zeno

Re: Using CHDK on ubuntu 14.04
« Reply #1 on: 25 / March / 2015, 15:51:03 »
You should be able to install CHDK using my STICK app. It runs under various flavours of Linux (Ubuntu Mint 17 is the last version I've tried).
See http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html

Don't forget to read the "Note for Linux Users" on the STICK web page - you need to use sudo to give STICK permission (or use the stickx.sh command)
« Last Edit: 25 / March / 2015, 15:52:51 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 25 / March / 2015, 22:51:08 »
My requirements are, from ubuntu, the CHDK should be directly loaded into the camera and the script should run automatically without any human intervention.
OR we should be able to control the CHDK on camera through Linux Ubuntu Terminal Commands.
Are you trying to install CHDK on the SD card, or control the camera? These are two different things.

If you want to install on the SD card, then STICK should work. On the other hand, if you have already set up the card, you just need to copy the files.

If you want to install directly to the camera, without removing the SD card or any human intervention, this cannot be done using currently available tools. If CHDK is already installed, you can update the files using the CHDK PTP extension.

If you want to control the camera, that can also be done using the CHDK PTP extension.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 27 / March / 2015, 05:23:35 »
Hi,

The CHDK will be loaded on the SD card. I wish to start the camera through terminal commands , the camera should boot up into CHDK and run the script that has been loaded into the SD card.

I am going to port ubuntu OS on a FPGA board and control the camera through it. Currently I am trying the same through Ubuntu installed on my laptop.

Is the above mentioned possible? About the CHDK?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 27 / March / 2015, 17:05:17 »
The CHDK will be loaded on the SD card. I wish to start the camera through terminal commands , the camera should boot up into CHDK and run the script that has been loaded into the SD card.
You cannot power on the camera over USB, when the camera is off, it cannot receive USB commands.

I few cameras including the  Powershot N, N Facebook edition and some other very old cameras will power on when power is applied to the USB connector. To use this to trigger power on from another device would require software control of the USB ports +5V line. This is not a standard feature, but should be possible with some DIY hardware.

For other cameras, you would need to do something with the physical power button. A common approach is to physically hold down the power button, and then use an externally controlled power supply to power on the camera. Most (if not all) cameras will run normally while the power button is held down. Too power off, you should shut down from script and then turn off the external power.

You can configure a CHDK script to auto run at boot in the script menu. If you have USB connection, you can also run scripts from the host using the CHDK PTP extension: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension

« Reply #5 on: 29 / March / 2015, 04:39:54 »
Hi,

Can you please give the exact steps of using CHDKPTP?
Is there any specific CHDK for this or I can use the stable version that I have currently loaded into the SD card?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 29 / March / 2015, 14:22:40 »
Can you please give the exact steps of using CHDKPTP?
That depends what you want to do.
Is there any specific CHDK for this or I can use the stable version that I have currently loaded into the SD card?
The current stable CHDK 1.3 should work fine.

You can find more information about chdkptp at https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki

Since you are using ubuntu, you should pay attention to the udev issues discussed in "Interactions with default software" near the end of https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/Install

« Reply #7 on: 30 / March / 2015, 07:57:15 »
Hi,

I have installed CHDK on my canon powershot elph130is manually.
Now if I want to boot into CHDK I have to manually do the steps.
Is there a way that when the camera starts, it should boot into CHDK mode and can be controlled by computer via usb cable , preferably on Linux-Ubuntu .
Also how to use the CHDKPTP software? when I connected the camera to chdkptp client and clicked on connect, it is saying "Operation not permitted"

Thanks a lot for your quick replies..I am trying my level best to understand the operation  :) 

« Reply #8 on: 30 / March / 2015, 09:50:36 »
Is there a way that when the camera starts, it should boot into CHDK mode and can be controlled by computer via usb cable , preferably on Linux-Ubuntu .
The entire CHDK booting process and methods to configure CHDK are described here :  Prepare_your_SD_card

The easiest was to do what you want is to simply use : STICK

But that has already been pointed out to you in zeno's earlier post.

Also how to use the CHDKPTP software?
I believe reyalp answered that question in his previous post here.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16