SX520HS Porting thread. - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SX520HS Porting thread.

• 209 Replies
Re: SX520HS Porting thread.
« Reply #20 on: 04 / May / 2016, 12:54:01 »
Advertisements

Unfortunately you can not change the firmware version, you'll have to be patient.

Ok then! Then I'll wait for another 6 months or so :P . Anyway thanks for all your help and I hope someone (maybe even you xD) will find a way to port the sx 520 HS 100b!

Isn't it posibble to make the original 100c firmware bootable so you can update your camera? Or something like that. What would happen if I would put the 100c chdk firmware on my camera. Does it brick or something like that? And what's the difference between firmwares?
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2016, 09:06:15 by wobelaar »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 05 / May / 2016, 13:07:14 »
Isn't it posibble to make the original 100c firmware bootable so you can update your camera? Or something like that. What would happen if I would put the 100c chdk firmware on my camera. Does it brick or something like that? And what's the difference between firmwares?
It would probably just crash, but it definitely won't work. CHDK depends on knowing the exact addresses of various things in the firmware. If the Canon firmware addresses are different between firmware versions, then a new CHDK build is required. In some cases the there are no changes in the addresses, allowing the same build to run on both firmware versions, but I believe this is not true in this case.

The specific changes between Canon firmware version are not known to us unless someone spends a bunch of time reverse engineering, but in general they seem to be very minor and only affect a small amount of the Canon code. There is usually no obvious difference visible to users. If there is a really major bug in the Canon firmware, Canon will usually issue an update.

Making a new a build for a different firmware version isn't a huge amount of work, so someone may be able to come up with something for you to test fairly soon.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #22 on: 05 / May / 2016, 14:31:15 »
Thanks for the huge answer! Appreciate it!

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #23 on: 07 / May / 2016, 10:01:32 »
Test build for sx520hs 100b.
This is a 'blind port' (meaning it's untested, done without access to the camera), based on the existing sx530 port.
Feedback is absolutely required, it will not become officially available otherwise.

edit:
100b test build removed
« Last Edit: 08 / May / 2016, 15:14:18 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #24 on: 07 / May / 2016, 10:25:52 »
Test build for sx520hs 100b.
This is a 'blind port' (meaning it's untested, done without access to the camera), based on the existing sx530 port.
Feedback is absolutely required, it will not become officially available otherwise.

Is there a change my camera crashes and will be useless when I try to install CHDK? Or is it like what I read somewhere that when I pull out my SD card and restart my camera it will all be fixed?

If there is no danger of bricking my camera I will try it as soon as possible (probably in a few hours).

Also which one of the bootable options should I choose? Firmware update or boot from SD card?
« Last Edit: 07 / May / 2016, 10:44:31 by wobelaar »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #25 on: 07 / May / 2016, 10:43:31 »
Is there a change my camera crashes and will be useless when I try to install CHDK? Or is it like what I read somewhere that when I pull out my SD card and restart my camera it will all be fixed?

If there is no danger of bricking my camera I will try it as soon as possible (probably in a few hours).
Well.
CHDK itself loads and runs from the SD card. It does not touch the camera's firmware.
I tried to be careful while making the port, it is based on another port which seems to work.

However, CHDK is a hack. There are a few reported cases when some kind of camera damage occurred while CHDK was in use. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Camera_failures_suspected_to_be_caused_by_CHDK

It's your decision.

« Reply #26 on: 07 / May / 2016, 10:47:23 »
But do YOU think it will damage my camera or is it like 1 in 10000 chance that it will hppen?
Which boot method should I use I'm altered to try and use CHDK...
« Last Edit: 07 / May / 2016, 10:49:08 by wobelaar »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #27 on: 07 / May / 2016, 11:02:40 »
But do YOU think it will damage my camera or is it like 1 in 10000 chance that it will hppen?
I don't think it will. But it doesn't matter what I think. If you're not comfortable using a hack, then don't use it.
Which boot method should I use I'm altered to try and use CHDK...
If you're not using a Mac, just extract the zip file's content to the SD/SDHC (not SDXC) card root directory, lock the card, put it in camera, start it in playback mode, locate "Firm. update" in the Canon menu, execute it. When CHDK has started, enter the CHDK menu (short press on PLAY then MENU), go 'Miscellaneous stuff' -> 'SD Card' then click SET on 'Make card bootable'.

edit:
If you do the above procedure, CHDK will start automatically next time.
« Last Edit: 07 / May / 2016, 11:06:01 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #28 on: 07 / May / 2016, 11:09:28 »
Well you thinking it won't hurt my camera makes me feel a bit more comfortable. So I Will try it soon! Tell me what you want to know about how the build works on my camera and I will tell you!

Edit:
Thanks for the explenaition

« Reply #29 on: 07 / May / 2016, 12:10:19 »
One question: What is de 'ALT' button for this camera?
Also if the card is locked how can I take pictures?