Intervalometer when motion detected...where to begin? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Intervalometer when motion detected...where to begin?

• 3 Replies
Intervalometer when motion detected...where to begin?
« on: 04 / April / 2015, 14:21:27 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone!

I built a table for my son to build Legos on (trains, buildings, city, all that stuff), and I want to set up a camera that takes pictures of it as he's working. He's not up there daily, so it seems like a waste to set up an intervalometer that takes pictures every day. I'd rather have something that takes photos at an interval only if there's motion. That means I need something that can just sit there and run forever (I'm hoping for months or years), waiting for motion. Is that possible? I have the AC power kit and a UPS, so I have the ability to give it constant power.

I have an A3100 that I'd like to use for this. CHDK is already loaded and configured to boot. Now I need some advice on what script/scripts to use.

There's no shortage of intervalometer or motion detection scripts, but nothing I've seen does everything I need (or I'm just missing something).

So I guess I'm asking this: What combination of intervalometer and motion detection scripts would work best for this? If I need both, I guess I need a motion detector script to kick off an intervalometer script, but maybe there's a motion detection script that will work for this?

Thanks!

Re: Intervalometer when motion detected...where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: 04 / April / 2015, 14:29:08 »
Well,  you could take a look at this :  ultraMD.lua from a posting here - something I put together in response to this thread :  Motion detection for focal animal research - scripts and camera suggestions?

The original poster is having a little trouble getting the script running the way he wants but I'm suspecting this is a PEBKAC issue rather than any defect with the script.   But I could be wrong - we continue to exchange postings in the thread.

Documentation for the script this is based on is here : Ultimate_Intervalometer  I probably need to do a version for the new script at some point.
« Last Edit: 04 / April / 2015, 14:31:29 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 04 / April / 2015, 14:41:32 »
Oh that sounds awesome. I'd spent the most time looking at Ultimate Intervalometer, but without motion I went in search of something else. I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: 04 / April / 2015, 14:46:34 »
Oh that sounds awesome. I'd spent the most time looking at Ultimate Intervalometer, but without motion I went in search of something else. I'll give that a whirl.
Let me know how it goes?  Kestrel1978 is struggling a bit but once I get a little more feedback I'll link the new script & its write-up to the Ultimate intervalometer page.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16