SX160 / SX170 lens correction profile? - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

SX160 / SX170 lens correction profile?

• 9 Replies

Offline TMHKR

• Canon PowerShot SX170 IS (1.01a firmware)
SX160 / SX170 lens correction profile?
« on: 04 / April / 2015, 19:26:50 »
Advertisements
Did anyone came up with a lens correction profile for SX160 or SX170 yet? It doesn't have to be exactly for those models, it can be any other model with focal range of 5.0 - 80.0 mm.

The only two profiles I managed to find are SX150 (5.0 - 60.0 mm) and SX230 (5.0 - 70.0 mm). If no one makes a 5.0 - 80.0 mm profile anytime soon, should I use the profile which is closest to my camera (that would be the 5.0 - 70.0 mm profile)? Or the 5.0 - 60.0 mm would be better? Before, I tweaked the lens correction manually in Camera Raw, but of course it would be more convenient to use a profile.

Thanks.

Edit - I can't use the Adobe Lens Profile Creator, because I don't have the means to print that big checkerboard pattern required for profiling.
« Last Edit: 04 / April / 2015, 20:07:31 by TMHKR »

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
Re: SX160 / SX170 lens correction profile?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / January / 2016, 14:35:41 »
I too have a Canon PowerShot SX160 IS and I looked everywhere for a lens profile for this cam but didn't find it anywhere and as you pointed, I too wasn't able to use Adobe's Lens Profile Creator.

Hopefully someone would create a lens profile.

For now, I've completely given up shooting RAW, as the images are just too distorted and no matter how much I try, I'm not satisfied with my corrections of distortions.
We really do need a lens profile!
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,
so the name ShahJahan in its literal sense means King of the World.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 12 / January / 2016, 15:51:43 »
FWIW, using raw therapee I get fairly decent results on sx160 using the distortion correction slider in the transform tab, and the chromatic aberration sliders in the raw tab. I keep a few different saved settings at different focal lengths and start from the closest one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #3 on: 13 / January / 2016, 04:44:41 »
FWIW, using raw therapee I get fairly decent results on sx160 using the distortion correction slider in the transform tab, and the chromatic aberration sliders in the raw tab. I keep a few different saved settings at different focal lengths and start from the closest one.
Thanks, I never heard of RawTherapee. Does it offer something more than PhotoShop's RAW Filter?! And does it make the changes automatically by analyzing the pics?! When I use PS's RAW filter and move sliders, I still feel that it has some distortions when compare it to the JPGs of the same image. Maybe I'm just paranoid or lack skill?!

I can do very complicated tasks, but can't seem to fix geometric and chromatic aberrations! If it does it automatically, then excellent! Sliders make me shiver when it comes to fixing aberrations!

Now downloading!

Thanks again for your help!
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 13 / January / 2016, 15:48:44 »
Does it offer something more than PhotoShop's RAW Filter?!
I don't know, never used PhotoShop for raw.
And does it make the changes automatically by analyzing the pics?!
It has an auto option for chromatic aberration, but not distortion. In my experience, you can better results doing the chromatic aberration adjustment manually. Also, in the version of raw therepee I've been using (4.2.44) there are actually two chromatic aberration sliders, one in in the RAW tab, and one in the transform tab. These have different effects, I use the raw one first and only touch the other if that isn't enough.
When I use PS's RAW filter and move sliders, I still feel that it has some distortions when compare it to the JPGs of the same image. Maybe I'm just paranoid or lack skill?!
I wouldn't expect to exactly match the jpeg. AFAIK the raw therapee adjustment is just a basic pincushion / barrel adjustment (see https://photographylife.com/what-is-distortion) while the real lens probably has other issues.

You could take a picture of a grid at various focal lengths to get an idea of how close it is. I'm not very picky so I haven't bothered yet.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #5 on: 15 / January / 2016, 05:20:11 »
I don't know, never used PhotoShop for raw.

I tried it and I liked PS CC 2015's RAW better, but that may be because I'm used to it?!

It has an auto option for chromatic aberration, but not distortion. In my experience, you can better results doing the chromatic aberration adjustment manually. Also, in the version of raw therepee I've been using (4.2.44) there are actually two chromatic aberration sliders, one in in the RAW tab, and one in the transform tab. These have different effects, I use the raw one first and only touch the other if that isn't enough.

Chromatic aberrations were never much of a problem to me, the geometric ones make me mad!

I wouldn't expect to exactly match the jpeg. AFAIK the raw therapee adjustment is just a basic pincushion / barrel adjustment (see https://photographylife.com/what-is-distortion) while the real lens probably has other issues.

You could take a picture of a grid at various focal lengths to get an idea of how close it is. I'm not very picky so I haven't bothered yet.

Yeah, the real lens issues might be it. But whenever I feel I've completely done with the geometric distortions and then compare (I shoot RAW + JPG) it with JPG I find the distortions to be horrid! This was the reason I completely forego RAW. Maybe when I'd get me a DSLR, then with the lens profiles available on net, I'd be happy with RAW. For now, I'm sticking with JPGs, unwillingly!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 15 / January / 2016, 16:36:00 »
I tried it and I liked PS CC 2015's RAW better, but that may be because I'm used to it?!
Just to be clear, I'm wasn't saying you should use RT, just posting what works for me. I use RT because it was the first program I found a that gave me reasonable results with CHDK DNG files, and I've been too lazy to spend time developing a workflow in others.

« Reply #7 on: 19 / January / 2016, 03:25:00 »
Where did you locate the SX230 profile?

Offline TMHKR

• Canon PowerShot SX170 IS (1.01a firmware)
« Reply #8 on: 20 / January / 2016, 09:20:16 »
Where did you locate the SX230 profile?

Here you go, I've attached the profile. Place the file to this folder:

C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles

It will be visible in Camera Raw as CPSSX230HS.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #9 on: 23 / January / 2016, 11:01:15 »
Just to be clear, I'm wasn't saying you should use RT, just posting what works for me. I use RT because it was the first program I found a that gave me reasonable results with CHDK DNG files, and I've been too lazy to spend time developing a workflow in others.
It is very feature rich indeed, but since I am used to using PhotoShop, I'm sticking with it. But it is a good piece of software.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but when comparing shots, I still feel I did a bad job of correcting the geometric distortions.

Is there a software, where I can choose RAW and JPG and it will align the RAW image to the JPG and correct all the geometric aberrations automatically by comparing it to the JPG?! That would be neat!

Thanks for your help, I sincerely appreciate your help.