IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt - page 30 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt

• 497 Replies

Offline axman

Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt
« Reply #290 on: 14 / November / 2015, 22:18:02 »
Advertisements
Resulting images have subtle differences, nothing dramatic to my eye.
This is what you should expect as results of running ubtest (it's the same 'scene'):

Here are results using the most recent build from reyalp. 
Let me know if further test/debug on ubtest is needed.  Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #291 on: 14 / November / 2015, 23:46:04 »
Free memory: 3161824 bytes
Thanks. ARAM only adds ~130k, so this is the odd memory behavior srsa mentioned. It would be good to try to narrow down what causes the low memory.

Yes, the AF led flashes when MD_tune.bas runs.

Not sure if this test has an end. 
You can press the shutter to end any script (unless the script has re-assigned the key)
After 100 triggers, at top of console, values were displayed: 
Min = 100   Max = 820   Avg = 184
The max probably means some triggers were missed, but anyway, no need to do more with this test until someone tries to implement fast MD.

I've checked in both the changes from that test build, in trunk r4287 and r4290
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #292 on: 16 / November / 2015, 22:28:02 »
Would someone be willing to share the link to the most recent version please?

I would love to give it a try.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #293 on: 17 / November / 2015, 18:31:34 »
Would someone be willing to share the link to the most recent version please?

I would love to give it a try.
Sent you a link.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #294 on: 19 / November / 2015, 15:53:37 »
I split discussion of STEREO_A's 64 cam project to http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12668.0 since it is likely to involve a lot of discussion that isn't port specific.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #295 on: 19 / November / 2015, 15:57:32 »
Regarding the low memory issue, the discussion in the sx510 thread made me think it would be worth checking if having zebra enabled triggers the problem on ixus160.

Offline axman

« Reply #296 on: 19 / November / 2015, 16:03:31 »
Volunteering to try this idea -

A more reliable way to test this theory would be to make a build without the low space protection, verify that it works on a card with plenty of space, and then see if it bricks the camera when using a tiny partition.
Scannerall used LICKS to prepare the card, and something was not right about partitioning..  I could try to re-create how he had it, testing using a build without low space protection.  Could compare that to a 'clean' partitioning using Linux Method #2b, but also code without low space protection.  Do partitioning differences expose something..?..  Also, the 'current' build has more free memory than the first one I tried.  Perhaps using *that* version with low space proection disabled?

I realize there is no guarantee this particular test can provoke the failure that was reported.  But I would like to try harder to break it (or not) in such a way that could satisfy concern about risks in using the firmware.

« Reply #297 on: 22 / November / 2015, 13:10:53 »
Can I please get a link to the latest IXUS 160 CHDK Firmware?
I'd like to test. I understand and accept the risk.
Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #298 on: 22 / November / 2015, 16:31:11 »
Volunteering to try this idea -
Scannerall used LICKS to prepare the card, and something was not right about partitioning..  I could try to re-create how he had it, testing using a build without low space protection.  Could compare that to a 'clean' partitioning using Linux Method #2b, but also code without low space protection.  Do partitioning differences expose something..?..  Also, the 'current' build has more free memory than the first one I tried.  Perhaps using *that* version with low space proection disabled?
Thanks for the offer.

If the cause was running out of space, I wouldn't expect partitioning differences to matter much, but it's not totally out of the question. Same goes for free RAM. In either case, there may be an essentially random component like where a particular data structure ends up in RAM or something like that.

The best would be to use the exact same build and settings as scannerall did, but AFAIK we don't know the settings and I don't know if anyone has that specific build saved.

I'm not particularly convinced that running out of SD space was the cause of the problem, it would seem to require multiple unlikely failures in the canon firmware. As I've mentioned earlier, memory corruption due shooting DNG in a mode without valid raw (Digital IS or Low Light) is at least as likely a cause, and AFAIK no one has tested.

I'll PM you a build with both the free space and raw mode protection disabled. For the raw mode test, make sure DNG is enabled, and shoot in one of the "bad" modes (Digital IS or Low Light).

I would also like to repeat my request form a few posts ago that someone test zebra. I suspect this port suffers the same problem as the sx510 did. Since this involves memory corruption, this could also theoretically cause bricking. To test this, just enabled zebra and half press and check free memory repeatedly.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #299 on: 22 / November / 2015, 16:38:51 »
Can I please get a link to the latest IXUS 160 CHDK Firmware?
I'd like to test. I understand and accept the risk.
Thanks.
Build sent.