IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt - page 39 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt

• 497 Replies
Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt
« Reply #380 on: 05 / January / 2016, 18:32:53 »
Advertisements
- start cam, press MENU, locate "Firm update" in the bottom of the menu, execute it
  -> cam will reboot, CHDK will start
Don't forget to mention starting the camera by pressing the Play button (the one with the triangle in the rectangle) and not the On/Off button.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #381 on: 06 / January / 2016, 11:24:20 »
I am a complete noob,, but I would like to use my ELPH 160 for FPV camera triggering. I am interested in trying the CHDK but not sure where to download the firmware. Any help would be appreciated. I would also like live video out, I have a Canon cable, but the video out only works on replays.

Online reyalp

« Reply #382 on: 06 / January / 2016, 13:20:33 »
I am a complete noob,, but I would like to use my ELPH 160 for FPV camera triggering. I am interested in trying the CHDK but not sure where to download the firmware.
See this post: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12321.msg126202#msg126202
Any help would be appreciated. I would also like live video out, I have a Canon cable, but the video out only works on replays.
Unfortunately, like many recent Canon cameras, the elph160 do not let you use video out while shooting. We don't currently have a method to bypass this, although srsa did some initial investigation http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11439.0

You can get the camera display using the PTP extension live view, but this requires a USB host capable of running CHDK client software connected to the camera.

If you want to find a camera that does support video out while shooting, check the Canon manual for the camera. If the camera supports shooting with video out, it will be mentioned in the TV display section. If it doesn't, then only playback will be mentioned.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #383 on: 07 / January / 2016, 19:24:03 »
Thanks for your help. :)

« Reply #384 on: 07 / January / 2016, 20:21:43 »
It worked great on my ELPH160, I just low (check box) formatted the SD card in the camera, then inserted my SD into PC and extracted all files to SD, left unlocked, SD in camera, started camera with Play button, then menu-> to firmware update, ok, CHDK logo displayed, then camera shutter, the Alt button is the Play button, Alt displayed, then press Menu, Success, CHDK menu displayed.
This may help other noobs.
Thanks everyone for your hard work.

« Reply #385 on: 13 / January / 2016, 17:08:38 »
Hi, Could you send me the latest CHDK version for canon ixus 160?
thanks so much
Enrique

Online reyalp

« Reply #386 on: 13 / January / 2016, 21:15:17 »
Hi, Could you send me the latest CHDK version for canon ixus 160?
thanks so much
Enrique
See the links in this post http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12321.msg126271#msg126271
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #387 on: 20 / January / 2016, 00:59:19 »
Congratulations for the hard work! :D
What is the minimum time interval between photos for this camera?

Offline ressa

« Reply #388 on: 24 / January / 2016, 13:22:14 »

There is an even simpler method (if you're not using a Mac and card is smaller than 64G):
- extract zip to card (all files and directories)
- start cam with the PLAYBACK button, press MENU, locate "Firm update" in the bottom of the menu, execute it
  -> cam will reboot, CHDK will start
- press the PLAYBACK button for a moment, then MENU to enter the CHDK menu
- navigate to "Miscellaneous stuff" -> "SD Card" and execute "Make card bootable"
- switch off the cam, take out the card, lock it, put it back in
- CHDK will automatically start from now on

edit:
clarified one of the steps, thx. WW

Thanks for your help, Should I run this "walk-through" every time I start my camera? in the last step you mentioned that "CHDK will automatically start from now on", but it didn't when i started the camera again....

and another issue, in the step before the last one, you mentioned that I have to "lock" the SD Card and put it back in. but If I lock SD Card, it is not possible to take pictures anymore since the SD Card is locked. What is missing in my understanding? should I unlock it after all steps mentioned above? I did it but no CHDK logo when I started it again.

« Reply #389 on: 24 / January / 2016, 13:42:41 »
but If I lock SD Card, it is not possible to take pictures anymore since the SD Card is locked.
The card needs to be locked for CHDK autoboot to work.  When the cameras starts, if the card is locked, the camera firmware looks on the SD card for a file called DISKBOOT.BIN.  If it finds it, it loads that file and runs it.  CHDK is stored in DISKBOOT.BIN - that's how it gets loaded. 

Once CHDK loads, it tricks the camera into thinking the card is not longer locked so that you can save pictures normally.

What is missing in my understanding? should I unlock it after all steps mentioned above? I did it but no CHDK logo when I started it again.
You will only get the CHDK logo if the card is correctly formatted,  the CHDK files are correctly installed,  and the SD card lock switch is in the LOCKED position.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16