IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt - page 36 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt

• 497 Replies
Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt
« Reply #350 on: 28 / December / 2015, 16:26:38 »
Advertisements
I can get the AFL bug to happen consistently if occasionally. It seems to be a crash 1 time in 10 or so. So if somebody has a proposed fix, I can test it. I can verify that it happens on build 4317.

There is also an idle crash that I see happening. Randomly while I have left the camera on, it shuts down spontaneously. I've attached a romlog I took after a recent incident. I'm not 100% sure that this is a crash. I suppose it could also be a power-saving setting I don't know about.

-D

Offline mphx

« Reply #351 on: 28 / December / 2015, 17:36:18 »
If by AFL bug we mean

1. set aflock ON
2. play with zoom values
3. shoot randomly during step #2
4. Camera shuts off / crashes etc

then it happened to me too.Every time.. zooming in out / shooting...it would crash after some tries.

With aflock OFF , there is no problem.After many repeats of the above steps.

Using build 4317 here too.

Other than that i cant tell i am seeing any other problem...during my messing around.

Camera will stay for looong time here , so anything needs testing ...tell me.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #352 on: 28 / December / 2015, 17:39:30 »
I can get the AFL bug to happen consistently if occasionally. It seems to be a crash 1 time in 10 or so. So if somebody has a proposed fix, I can test it. I can verify that it happens on build 4317.
Not a fix, just ideas.
The romlog seems too show that you're doing something like
- half press
- wait a second
- issue set_aflock(1)
- immediately release half press

If so, try without half-pressing the shutter. set_aflock(1) does a focus scan on its own.

There is also an idle crash that I see happening. Randomly while I have left the camera on, it shuts down spontaneously.
Are you sure it's a crash? It is if you find the cam powered off with extended lens.
If the lens is retracted, it's likely just a regular shutdown. Check the power saving settings in the Canon menu.
I'd also like to note that CHDK seems to interfere with ECO mode (it doesn't activate reliably even when CHDK is set to allow power saving). If you have it 'on', try disabling it.

I've attached a romlog I took after a recent incident. I'm not 100% sure that this is a crash. I suppose it could also be a power-saving setting I don't know about.
That's an AF lock crash.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #353 on: 28 / December / 2015, 17:43:53 »
1. set aflock ON
2. play with zoom values
3. shoot randomly during step #2
4. Camera shuts off / crashes etc
Since set_zoom() is kinda hack-ish, I'd avoid using it while AF lock is on. Try locking the focus before you actually start shooting and unlock the focus when you need to zoom.

« Reply #354 on: 28 / December / 2015, 18:11:37 »
My 'idle crash' does seem to be power saving. The lens retracted and I went into the settings and found that there was some kind of power saving option enabled that I was able to turn off. Oddly enough, I have two identical cameras and one has the power saving menu option ghosted out and the other one does not. I'll have to check them when they come out of the box in future to see if the power saving is enabled by default.

Regarding AFL: I will try commenting out the half-press-and-wait. When I was experimenting before, it seemed necessary. But that was with an A2200 which might work a bit differently.

-D

« Reply #355 on: 28 / December / 2015, 19:22:01 »
FWIW, menu items that are greyed out in AUTO mode will often be active in P mode. So your issue might be related to other settings and not a camera to camera difference.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #356 on: 28 / December / 2015, 22:51:18 »
Switching to P-mode and doing AFL alone without the half-presses does seem to make things a lot more stable. I need to figure out how to switch to P-mode in code rather than manually configuring the camera. But there still seems to be an occasional AFL crash. See attached ROMLOG.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #357 on: 29 / December / 2015, 12:19:05 »
Switching to P-mode and doing AFL alone without the half-presses does seem to make things a lot more stable. I need to figure out how to switch to P-mode in code rather than manually configuring the camera. But there still seems to be an occasional AFL crash. See attached ROMLOG.
I have no idea about this crash, it's not an obvious one. I don't know if it's normal to see the following logged actions in the same moment:
Code: [Select]
00813410: SS:AFUL
00813410: SS:AFUL*
00813410: SS:AFL
AFUL is AF unlock, AFL is AF lock.

P mode is highly recommended when using CHDK scripting. Auto modes enable several features that do not go well with CHDK overrides.
However, P mode also offers many features that an cause problems - but there's at least a chance for disabling them.
Can you go through the Canon menu (the one you get when pressing MENU) in shooting mode and list the current settings? If that's easier, upload screenshots.

For mode change, use set_capture_mode(). You may find the scripting cross reference useful.

« Reply #358 on: 29 / December / 2015, 12:59:52 »
Hmm. Perhaps as a workaround I need a delay in there. I set aflock to 0 then immediately set aflock to 1 in order to refocus the camera even if it had already been in AFL from a previous run. I'll let you know if I run into any more crashes as I am testing. Thanks.

« Reply #359 on: 29 / December / 2015, 14:23:47 »
You can get a refocus by just calling set_aflock 1 again.  You don't need to release the aflock in between.   Adding a short sleep between commands is always a good idea.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16