IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt - page 38 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt

• 497 Replies

Offline ressa

Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting attempt
« Reply #370 on: 05 / January / 2016, 11:54:55 »
Advertisements
Thanking you guys that help many people by developing CHDK, I am a new member here.
firstly I apologize if i am sending my question among your valuable posts, but I need help and decided to ask you here:

I know that CHDK is capable of doing many functions in Canon cameras. I see that  "IXUS 160" is not fully supported by CHDK and this model is not listed as a camera that could run CHDK in full functions. and you guys are helping to solve the problems.

now my question; I want a specific action among all the functions of CHDK and that is "Remote Shutter Release". I don't need all professional functions that CHDK is capable of performing. I just want to connect a USB cable with a button at the end to the camera and start focusing and shooting by hitting the button. that's all.

in this case, is it OK and risk-less to use CHDK on my IXUS 160? Does CHDK perform this specific action? will it work?

Many thanks,
Ressa

Online reyalp

« Reply #371 on: 05 / January / 2016, 13:10:36 »
now my question; I want a specific action among all the functions of CHDK and that is "Remote Shutter Release". I don't need all professional functions that CHDK is capable of performing. I just want to connect a USB cable with a button at the end to the camera and start focusing and shooting by hitting the button. that's all.
The ixus 160 port is pretty functional. The only reason it isn't in the auto build is the camera damage incidents discussed earlier in the thread.

What you are describing is the USB remote function. As far as I know, this feature works.

in this case, is it OK and risk-less to use CHDK on my IXUS 160?
There are too many unknowns unknowns to say that any CHDK port is risk free. CHDK is provided as is, and comes with absolutely no warranty. Given the history of this port, it is probably higher risk than some others. The only thing we know for sure at this point is that a number of people have used this port without any additional reports of damage.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Online reyalp

Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting Attempt
« Reply #372 on: 05 / January / 2016, 13:12:40 »
However there appears to be a small amount of the Ixus 160-100a port that,
"May have some Porting Errors", my thoughts are that this may be a potential problem
and the cause of the "...camera damage ..." reports. (???)

.... Comments Anyone ......
Without details of the supposed bugs, there is nothing to comment on.

Offline srsa_4c

Re: IXUS160/ELPH160 Porting Attempt
« Reply #373 on: 05 / January / 2016, 14:16:20 »
However there appears to be a small amount of the Ixus 160-100a port that,
"May have some Porting Errors", my thoughts are that this may be a potential problem
and the cause of the "...camera damage ..." reports. (???)

.... Comments Anyone ......
Without details of the supposed bugs, there is nothing to comment on.
He's trying to "fix" things he thinks are erroneous. That includes:
- messing up assert string references
- "fixing" subroutine references where code_gen removed an intermediate jump
- modifying some instructions, for example
"    MOV     R1, #0 \n"
"    MOV     R0, #0x48 \n"
"    BL      sub_FF8B38E0 \n"

becomes
"    MOV     R1, #0 \n"
"    MOV     R1, #0X48 \n"
"    BL      sub_FF8B38E0 \n"   // 100a

- re-instating the usual CreateTask patch, even though the function is in ROM
etc.
Above comes from his ixus170 "stuff" for which he used the blind port uploaded by me.
He clearly has no clue about ARM assembly. I'd be cautious about any CHDK binary uploaded by him (though he rarely manages to compile anything).

Offline ressa

« Reply #374 on: 05 / January / 2016, 15:55:01 »
Thanking your response, I have another basic question:

I understood that "IXUS 160" has a number of damage reports when using CHDK. now my question; when do these damages exactly occur?

I assume the damage might occur in two different times:
1st case: Camera boots fine with CHDK and damage occurs only when trying to reach an specific item of CHDK menu.
2nd case: After loading CHDK in memory card, Camera does not boot in the first place and we understand that camera has been damaged.

Which one of mentioned cases happens when we say" IXUS 160" has a damage report?

Online reyalp

« Reply #375 on: 05 / January / 2016, 16:02:12 »
I understood that "IXUS 160" has a number of damage reports when using CHDK. now my question; when do these damages exactly occur?
See discussion starting at this post: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12321.msg123736#msg123736

Offline ressa

« Reply #376 on: 05 / January / 2016, 17:10:31 »
For all ixus160 users, here's a build of the most recent sources:
https://app.box.com/s/qzkq5j29ncs84064fpog03f6z2an0xpk

I think this is link of latest version of CHDK for "IXUS 160". but this link is not working for me, may someone send another link in other sharing website or as direct attachment here?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #377 on: 05 / January / 2016, 17:32:48 »

I think this is link of latest version of CHDK for "IXUS 160". but this link is not working for me, may someone send another link in other sharing website or as direct attachment here?
The link is functional. Perhaps box.com is banned in your country?
Here's the same file uploaded to an alternative site, if it's still not working, please name a file host that works for you.
http://filebin.net/yto2np9sgs/ixus160_elph160-100a-1.4.1-4319-full.zip

Offline ressa

« Reply #378 on: 05 / January / 2016, 17:40:18 »

The link is functional. Perhaps box.com is banned in your country?
Here's the same file uploaded to an alternative site, if it's still not working, please name a file host that works for you.
http://filebin.net/yto2np9sgs/ixus160_elph160-100a-1.4.1-4319-full.zip

Many thanks, the link worked like a charm and I just downloaded CHDK. about your question, the answer is yes, the site seems to be banned in my country / I don't know why!!!

Ok, So i should just easily extract and copy the files into sd-card and turn on the camera, right?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #379 on: 05 / January / 2016, 18:11:37 »
Ok, So i should just easily extract and copy the files into sd-card and turn on the camera, right?
Installation methods are listed here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

We usually recommend the STICK utility. If you choose to try it, you need to follow the method described here: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stickx.html

There is an even simpler method (if you're not using a Mac and card is smaller than 64G):
- extract zip to card (all files and directories)
- start cam with the PLAYBACK button, press MENU, locate "Firm update" in the bottom of the menu, execute it
  -> cam will reboot, CHDK will start
- press the PLAYBACK button for a moment, then MENU to enter the CHDK menu
- navigate to "Miscellaneous stuff" -> "SD Card" and execute "Make card bootable"
- switch off the cam, take out the card, lock it, put it back in
- CHDK will automatically start from now on

edit:
clarified one of the steps, thx. WW
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2016, 18:51:47 by srsa_4c »