I can't see my CRW/DNG files while my camera is connected to my computer.Helppls - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

I can't see my CRW/DNG files while my camera is connected to my computer.Helppls

• 9 Replies
Advertisements
Everything works just fine except the fact that when I connect my camera to computer via cable , I can't see any CRW / DNG files ( images ) . They should of been in same folder as my JPEG files, yet I can't see any. Only after I take out memory card out of my camera, put it into memory card reader , I am able to see these files in the DCIM folder. Is there any way of seeing RAW files without taking out memory card out from the camera ? TY !!

In the CHDK RAW menu,  try using the  RAW File Extesion  to select one of the other choices.  If that doesn't work for you, then you are probably going to need to use something like CHDKPTP or just live with transferring files form the SD via your computer's SD card reader.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Yes, I have tried the other choices already , unfortunately I still can't see my CRW / DNG / raw files. Thanx a lot for your suggestion waterwings , I really appreciate it !

Apparently many older cameras ( VxWorks ? ) had an option to make DNG visible over USB by automatically changing the extension.

DNG visible vis USB not working in Win7x64?

I'm guessing that the current RAW menu choices do the same thing.  Here's a few other related links :

"DNG visible via USB" option with folders other than 100CANON
Some notes on file prefix and extension treatment
]DNG visible via USB not working in Win7 -ULTIMATE- x64 with A720IS !?

Idk what is causing this issue. Even with turning off camera at least once ( rebooting it ) before connection to computer via usb cable, I'm getting the same issue ( can't see DNG files ). It's possible only while I put my SD card into sd card reader.. Perhaps that issue is caused by windows 7 64 bit system but I'm not sure.

Offline reyalp

Idk what is causing this issue. Even with turning off camera at least once ( rebooting it ) before connection to computer via usb cable, I'm getting the same issue ( can't see DNG files ). It's possible only while I put my SD card into sd card reader.. Perhaps that issue is caused by windows 7 64 bit system but I'm not sure.
As the links waterwingz provided explain, what the Canon firmware shows over USB is complicated, and depends on the camera. This is probably not a bug or something you are doing wrong, it's just how it is.

If you tell us which camera you are using, other people with the same or similar model may be able to help.

It should probably be possible to get the files to show with some combination of settings:
1) Raw in dir with jpeg must be enabled. You should also verify with a card reader that the file are actually going in the same directory with the jpeg of the same number, there can be bugs in this area.
2) The prefix and extension should be something "recognized" by the canon firmware. This may vary between cameras, but something like CRW_nnnn.CR2 would be my first choice (or .CRW if it's a very old camera). You could also try making it the same is video files or something like that.

It may also depend on what software you are using on your PC to access it. If you are using Canon's software or other 3rd party software rather than the native windows browser, it may not recognize the files even if the camera shows them.

Alternatively, you can use the CHDK ptp extension to download files: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension
This is not very user friendly, and installing the libusb driver will completely disable normal windows access to the camera, but it will let you download any file from the camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline TMHKR

• Canon PowerShot SX170 IS (1.01a firmware)
You can't access your RAW files because most new Canon compacts only support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) over USB.

This is different from your standard USB mass storage connection in the way it only allows accessing media files created by the camera (JPEG photos and videos) - and nothing else. Canon DLSRs and some older compacts support both modes, if I remember correctly.

The only way to access all types of files is to use a memory card reader. Since we're on the topic, here's one for reyalp and waterwings - can the USB mass storage mode be implemented into CHDK somehow?

Since we're on the topic, here's one for reyalp and waterwings - can the USB mass storage mode be implemented into CHDK somehow?
Can it be implemented?  Almost certainly with enough time and patience.

Will it be implemented?  Most likely not - due to lack of time and patience and somebody who cares enough about the issue to do so.

Offline reyalp

You can't access your RAW files because most new Canon compacts only support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) over USB.

This is different from your standard USB mass storage connection in the way it only allows accessing media files created by the camera (JPEG photos and videos)
I'm sorry, but this is not correct. The problem is not PTP vs Mass storage, it's the fact that the Canon firmware only makes certain files available as PTP objects, based on the file location, name and extension.

While PTP is quite limited, it is possible to make CHDK raw files downloadable on most, if not all CHDK cameras by using the settings that I described in my earlier post.  Additionally on some old cameras CHDK is able to make DNG a recognized extension that is available over PTP by default.

As waterwingz says, implementing mass storage would be a very difficult project.

The only way to access all types of files is to use a memory card reader
The CHDK PTP extension can be used to access any file on the camera, for both upload and download. The downside is it requires special client software, and on windows requires a libusb driver that disables normal PTP functionality for the camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for all of your replies. And SPECIAL THANX to all the people who was working on CHDK project , and made it true for all of us who are using such cameras which don't support shooting in RAW format. THANK YOU GUYS !!!