Remote View using HDMI Mini Cable or Any Other Cable! - Script Writing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Remote View using HDMI Mini Cable or Any Other Cable!

• 8 Replies
Remote View using HDMI Mini Cable or Any Other Cable!
« on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:11:41 »
Advertisements
Hi Guys!

This is my first post but i've been trawling through the forum for some time! Im starting out in the world of topographical surveying using a canon sx280 with an intervalometer script. It works a treat with one exception - i can't use the camera for first person view as i can only get a picture on the screen when im viewing pictures already taken rather than when im shooting. This is making it a bit difficult to make sure the drone is in the right place and that im getting good photos. Are there any scripts which would allow me to send video from the viewfinder along the HDMI cable or any other cable for that matter?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Re: Remote View using HDMI Mini Cable or Any Other Cable!
« Reply #1 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:22:08 »
That sort of feature was available on early Powershot models but Canon removed support for it from most models several years ago.  So far nobody has found a way around that - with or without CHDK.

Probably the only option is live view over USB (using something like chdkptp) but that requires a computer at the other end of the USB cable. Not too likely you will have one of those on your UAV.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #2 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:27:07 »
That sort of feature was available on early Powershot models but Canon removed support for it from most models several years ago.
The sx280 still can output analog video in shooting mode. HDMI is not possible on any PowerShots though.

« Reply #3 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:29:34 »
That sort of feature was available on early Powershot models but Canon removed support for it from most models several years ago.
The sx280 still can output analog video in shooting mode. HDMI is not possible on any PowerShots though.
We get this question enough that it might be worth creating a list on the wiki of those that will produce composite video out in record mode.

« Reply #4 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:38:14 »
Thanks for the replies, guys! I've seen some instructions for creating my own cable to retrieve the video output from the USB and send it straight to my transmitter but i've so far been unable to crack it. I'd rather not use the HDMI if im being honest as it involves converting the signal into analog anyway so if i can find out which connection on the usb relates to video then hopefully i can solder it in to the transmitter cable and bob's your uncle...hopefully.....

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:51:20 »
I've seen some instructions for creating my own cable to retrieve the video output from the USB and send it straight to my transmitter but i've so far been unable to crack it.
If you're not using USB connection, you can just get an AVC-DC400 cable (and hack that).

We get this question enough that it might be worth creating a list on the wiki of those that will produce composite video out in record mode.
AFAIK this trend started with DryOS r50 A series models (a810, etc) and gradually expanded to include all cheaper models.

« Reply #6 on: 14 / April / 2015, 18:51:36 »
Thanks for the replies, guys! I've seen some instructions for creating my own cable to retrieve the video output from the USB and send it straight to my transmitter but i've so far been unable to crack it. I'd rather not use the HDMI if im being honest as it involves converting the signal into analog anyway so if i can find out which connection on the usb relates to video then hopefully i can solder it in to the transmitter cable and bob's your uncle...hopefully.....

According to the SX280 User Manual you need an AVC-DC400ST Stereo AV Cable.   Google it for sources - you can get it from B&H video  for $14 plus shipping.

« Reply #7 on: 14 / April / 2015, 21:52:58 »
HDMI, on Canon Cameras with a HDMI connector, is available on Play Back Mode Only
and then only if it is enabled in the Canon menu.

Wi-Fi or Remote Live View:-

Only on the newest Wi-Fi Canon Cameras such as Ixus 265 and Sx600 and on
some newer Wi-Fi cameras it is possible to have Live View on Smart Phones or Tablets
and also to have Wi-Fi Remote Shooting.

But it is not that easy to setup.

Also if you have have a smart Phone/Tablet with NFC the Wi-Fi Camera(s) could be keyed to
your smart device(s)

Canon have an old Smart App called Canon CameraWindow which MAY also work.

The Newest Smart App is now Canon Camera Connect and is just for Wi-Fi P&S and Wi-Fi DSLR cameras.

However it ALSO seems to have some problems.....like  it.....
 "Stopped Working"...(???) on my Android 5v1, a Nexus 7 tablet

I Have don't have a iPhone so the Canon App's might work Ok.

H-H

Download the (Wi-Fi Camera) Canon User Manuals to find out more about the Wi-Fi Live View
and Remote Shooting.
« Last Edit: 15 / April / 2015, 01:06:38 by Hardware_Hacker »

« Reply #8 on: 15 / April / 2015, 06:18:07 »
I ordered my AVC-DC400 cable last night and it should arrive tomorrow so i've got a fun weekend ahead of me! Im not planning to remotely trigger any scripts on the sx280 so i should just be able to use the USB for live-viewing only.

I downloaded the Canon Apps and spent about 3 hours trying to work it out before finally reading that the sx280 doesn't support live-view over wifi, doh!