A3300 date stamp issues - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A3300 date stamp issues

• 13 Replies
Re: A3300 date stamp issues
« Reply #10 on: 02 / May / 2015, 15:30:13 »
Advertisements
just tested it and it works great!
thanks for the quick fix,
will let you know how the launch goes!

phil

« Reply #11 on: 06 / May / 2015, 13:31:48 »
so this weekend went great, we got some great views.  both cameras worked well one camera made it to landing and died shortly after landing. 

At home I tested the delay feature for the script with he delay set at like 30 seconds, which worked.
In the field, I wanted once camera set at like 5 minute delay (300 sec) and the second camera set at about 20 minute delay.  so I encountered a few problems.

1.  the camera shut off while clicking up to the 20 minute delay, I couldn't get it up to 1200 seconds, kept shutting off around the 800 mark... turning it back on I had to restart completely...and just set it to 300 seconds to get the camera set up and running... got frustrating but it got better

2.  After setting up the cameras and velcro'ing them in place, it took me a bit longer then 5 minutes to get the GPS and radios in and box secured, easily more then 5 minutes... I took a listen and realized that I didn't hear the cameras taking pics. they were set at 30 sec intervals.. gave it a 5 more minutes just to see...nothing... had to open up the box...reset both cameras and just dropped the delay part of the script. 

Today I decided to test with a 300 sec delay, and the camera must have just 'shut off'  after 30 min, there was no pics, no action, never took one pic. 

any thoughts?

I was going to post this on the forum for this script as the conversation has turned that way,

thanks, phil

pics turned out great, here are some of them if you scroll down

http://www.qsl.net/ara/kc3ekd.html

« Reply #12 on: 06 / May / 2015, 14:28:58 »
1.  the camera shut off while clicking up to the 20 minute delay, I couldn't get it up to 1200 seconds, kept shutting off around the 800 mark... turning it back on I had to restart completely...and just set it to 300 seconds to get the camera set up and running... got frustrating but it got better

If I understand #1 correctly, you are trying to setup a  long startup delay time by repetitively pressing the right arrow key? If so, then you need to try using the camera's zoom lever to move between the digit positions when entering the delay.  Trying to enter a delay your way must be incredibly painful!

See the info box here : CHDK Main Menu

2.  After setting up the cameras and velcro'ing them in place, it took me a bit longer then 5 minutes to get the GPS and radios in and box secured, easily more then 5 minutes... I took a listen and realized that I didn't hear the cameras taking pics. they were set at 30 sec intervals.. gave it a 5 more minutes just to see...nothing... had to open up the box...reset both cameras and just dropped the delay part of the script. 
So you are thinking the cameras shutdown before the five minutes was up?  Even though they worked fine with the 5 mintue delay on your desktop?

Strange.

Today I decided to test with a 300 sec delay, and the camera must have just 'shut off'  after 30 min, there was no pics, no action, never took one pic. 
I'm confused.   At 300 sec delay is 5 minutes.   What makes you believe the cameras shut off after 30 minutes?

I was going to post this on the forum for this script as the conversation has turned that way,
Probably less confusing to just continue things here.

« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2015, 15:54:50 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #13 on: 06 / May / 2015, 16:28:46 »
thanks for the tip on number one, that will be a big help in the future...
but what was interesting in this thread for a second, is that the camera would turn itself off while we were trying to dial it up to the higher numbers...  we tried it twice and I gave up on trying to go for 1800...

to elaborate on second issue.  when I tested the delay at home on saturday, I only had it set for one minute, in fact a ran a second test just now for two minute delay, and it worked fine, in that it turned on and took pics fine at every thirty seconds, (but the screen was staying on for some reason, but I am looking at that further)

in the field when I set it to 300sec,  and pressed the shutter, the script started the screen then turned off, but the camera must have turned off (due to inactivity??) before it could complete the countdown.  the camera never turned back on to take pics.

so I do think that the camera for whatever reason, is shutting down,  could it be because you have the camera going back to playback mode to conserve energy but in playback mode there might be some programming in there somewhere that powers down the camera completely in that mode due to inactivity???  If you open up the camera in playback mode and leave it on, the camera powers down on its on in a few minutes...
that doesn't explain why the camera powered down while we were feverishly pressing buttons to get the delay higher..... but when you think about that you are also in playback mode then, (I start chdk with firmware upgrade each time I want to use it so I am in playback mode from the get go)  and the activity of pressing the buttons is only really in the programming of chdk script, and not actually the camera itself so it goes inactive just the same way???

phil
« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2015, 16:34:01 by uanslob »