remotely recording video from PC with command lines - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

remotely recording video from PC with command lines

• 5 Replies
remotely recording video from PC with command lines
« on: 28 / April / 2015, 18:06:47 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to remotely control a Canon 110S form a PC.
I need to record short videos every step time that I define and save them on my PC so I can process them.
Can I do that with simple command lines in DOS ?
I have read about PTPcam can I use it for my purpose ?
Thanx a lot !

Offline reyalp

Re: remotely recording video from PC with command lines
« Reply #1 on: 28 / April / 2015, 22:46:05 »
Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to remotely control a Canon 110S form a PC.
I need to record short videos every step time that I define and save them on my PC so I can process them.
Can I do that with simple command lines in DOS ?
I have read about PTPcam can I use it for my purpose ?
Thanx a lot !
You can use the PTP extension http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension to control the camera from your PC and download files. Both ptpcam and chdkptp can be used for this.

You cannot record video on the camera and have it save directly the your PC, but chdkptp can be used to record the live view.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 29 / April / 2015, 20:16:12 »
You can use the PTP extension http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension to control the camera from your PC and download files.
Can the files be videos or only images ? Can they be downloaded anywhere on my PC ?

You cannot record video on the camera and have it save directly the your PC, but chdkptp can be used to record the live view
What do you mean by directly ? I'm confused is it possible to download videos on a specific place in my PC ?
I don't need to process live videos. I just need to record videos of 10 seconds every 60 minutes and save them on my PC. I also need to record my videos @120fps so I don't think that I can use the live view. What do you think ?

« Reply #3 on: 29 / April / 2015, 20:24:48 »
Can the files be videos or only images ? Can they be downloaded anywhere on my PC ?
The files can be either.  And you can download them to anywhere on your PC with enough available free space.

What do you mean by directly ?
reyalp meant that you cannot record to your PC directly from the camera.   You have to record a video file on the camera first and then transfer it to your PC.  A two step process.

I'm confused is it possible to download videos on a specific place in my PC ?
Yes.  Or at least you can download a video file that has already been created from the camera to anywhere on your PC.

I don't need to process live videos. I just need to record videos of 10 seconds every 60 minutes and save them on my PC. I also need to record my videos @120fps so I don't think that I can use the live view. What do you think ?
You don't need live view.   Assuming that your camera supports 120fps recording then causing it to record to the camera SD card for 10 seconds every hour and then downloading the resulting file is very possible.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 08 / May / 2015, 16:22:21 »
Dear waterwingz, thanx a lot , this is very helpfull !
Now, my main preoccupation (see the title of the topic) was if I could do everything I described but with command lines in DOS or with a script. Does the PTPextension lets me do it or is it only a Graphic User Interface ?
Thanx a lot !

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 08 / May / 2015, 16:29:41 »
Dear waterwingz, thanx a lot , this is very helpfull !
Now, my main preoccupation (see the title of the topic) was if I could do everything I described but with command lines in DOS or with a script. Does the PTPextension lets me do it or is it only a Graphic User Interface ?
Thanx a lot !
chdkptp https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki provides a command line interface you can use from a DOS prompt, batch file etc. There is also a GUI, but you don't need to use it.

You can also get the ptpcam command line executable from the link in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension#ptpcam
Don't forget what the H stands for.