Unit turns on when using GPS logger on S100 - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Unit turns on when using GPS logger on S100

• 18 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Unit turns on when using GPS logger on S100
« Reply #10 on: 09 / May / 2015, 15:39:03 »
Advertisements
Now if I boot by pressing just the playback or on/off buttons the value in 0x26e4 is 0x00400000 on return from that subroutine.

Unfortunately,  that's also the value when the camera wakes up due to the GPS chip.
Does GPS logging even work when CHDK is set to autoboot?

So I'm wondering is we lose something during the fake firmware update reboot?
If sub_ff022bd8 really does what I suspect, then probably yes (the fw variables it is using are located just above 0x1900).
Since both fw update and autoboot starts by copying CHDK to 0x1900, most fw variables are lost before CHDK starts running.

I guess I could just try forcing the other two bits in 0x26e4 ( 0x00800000 & 0x0400000) and see what happens.
If recognizing GPS logger boot is not possible, there's not much use for those 2 bits.

« Reply #11 on: 09 / May / 2015, 16:33:17 »
Does GPS logging even work when CHDK is set to autoboot?
I'll experiment with it.  The GPS in the S100 is pretty poor - it can take ten minutes to get a signal lock on a clear sunny day so experimenting is not much fun.

So I'm wondering is we lose something during the fake firmware update reboot?
If sub_ff022bd8 really does what I suspect, then probably yes (the fw variables it is using are located just above 0x1900).
Since both fw update and autoboot starts by copying CHDK to 0x1900, most fw variables are lost before CHDK starts running.
I'm wondering if  there is something that could be done in the boot loader to recognize the GPS start and not do the firmware update/autoboot step.

Update :   ran two test - one with CHDK enabled and the other with it disabled.   In the CHDK disabled test,  the camera creates a log file called 1505090.LOG in A/DCIM/CANONMSC/GPS.    With CHDK enabled, no file is created.
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2015, 18:26:35 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #12 on: 09 / May / 2015, 23:44:47 »
I'll experiment with it.  The GPS in the S100 is pretty poor - it can take ten minutes to get a signal lock on a clear sunny day so experimenting is not much fun.

Finally a part of the conversation I can understand! :)  Yes, that is exactly why I want it set to GPS logger rather than just start it and take a picture..  Because it takes so darn long.  With the logger active, if I decide to take a picture for GPS rather than mess around trying to convert the tracklog to what Lightroom can understand via a GPSBabel route, it takes forever for it to acquire GPS.  Leaving the logger on makes acquisition shorter when turning the camera on - almost instant - if I do decide to take a geotagging picture for easier Lightroom tagging in the map module.  It was because of that that I bought 2 more batteries for it when I got the G7X, for a total of 5 batteries for the S100 (all but 1 are 3rd party).  Doubt I'll ever run through them all, but it's still reassuring.

I'll try figuring out what another poster mentioned, about some native CHDK logger, but I have a cognitive/memory disability, so it makes figuring things out much harder.  As you might imagine, CHDK could pose issues for someone with such issues, to say the least. ;)  I will say though, that finding CHDK renewed my interest in the S100 - it was like finding a whole new camera to play with that wasn't bound by some of the crazy limitations they imposed on that camera, like a shutter longer than 15 seconds for starters.

« Reply #13 on: 10 / May / 2015, 00:12:54 »
I'll try figuring out what another poster mentioned, about some native CHDK logger
That other poster was me.   The native CHDK logger runs with the camera in a "low power" mode of sorts but the camera is still powered on.  So it will consume a lot more power than the built-in Canon logger as that one actually keeps the camera turned off most of the time.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #14 on: 10 / May / 2015, 16:20:12 »
I'm wondering if  there is something that could be done in the boot loader to recognize the GPS start and not do the firmware update/autoboot step.
Probably not much. The variable that stores this flag is already erased when diskboot.bin loads. The fw uses I2C routines to retrieve the flag, and I suspect that the original flag (in the RTC) is reset once it's read out.
Update :   ran two test - one with CHDK enabled and the other with it disabled.   In the CHDK disabled test,  the camera creates a log file called 1505090.LOG in A/DCIM/CANONMSC/GPS.    With CHDK enabled, no file is created.
That is not surprising...

A question: what happens after the GPS wakes up the camera the first time (when CHDK is involved)? Will it continue to wake up until GPS logger is deactivated in the menu?

« Reply #15 on: 10 / May / 2015, 16:25:31 »
A question: what happens after the GPS wakes up the camera the first time (when CHDK is involved)? Will it continue to wake up until GPS logger is deactivated in the menu?
If I understand the question correctly the answer is yes.

When the camera wakes up with CHDK loaded, it stays woken up as CHDK prevents it from turning off (at least the way I have it configured).   If you then press the power button to turn the camera off,  it will shut down but then wake up again a few minutes later.

I guess I could try setting Disable LCD Off [ Always ] ?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #16 on: 10 / May / 2015, 16:41:34 »
When the camera wakes up with CHDK loaded, it stays woken up as CHDK prevents it from turning off (at least the way I have it configured).   If you then press the power button to turn the camera off,  it will shut down but then wake up again a few minutes later.
That means the wake-up event is periodic, not one-shot.
Anyway, this seems too hard to crack, probably not worth the trouble.
I guess I could try setting Disable LCD Off [ Always ] ?
That is the setting that doesn't let the camera go off.

« Reply #17 on: 10 / May / 2015, 16:47:35 »
Anyway, this seems too hard to crack, probably not worth the trouble.
Agreed. 

We could add a goofy mode to the S100 where you have to hold either the power or On/Off buttons down at startup or the camera does not complete starting.  But we would still need to figure out how to enable whatever the camera was trying to do on a GPS wakeup.

That is the setting that doesn't let the camera go off.
Yes - i know.   The suggestion was to see what happens if the camera shuts itself off rather than the user pressing the On/Off button.  ( I should have said Disable LCD Off [ Never ] )

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #18 on: 10 / May / 2015, 17:00:31 »
We could add a goofy mode to the S100 where you have to hold either the power or On/Off buttons down at startup or the camera does not complete starting.
This would probably cause more trouble than it's worth (think about people accidentally enabling it).
But we would still need to figure out how to enable whatever the camera was trying to do on a GPS wakeup.
I would try setting one of the previously mentioned two bits while GPS log is still enabled, and see whether it writes the file.

( I should have said Disable LCD Off [ Never ] )
I see, that makes sense now.