3D scanner with multiple IXUS160 cameras - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

3D scanner with multiple IXUS160 cameras

• 54 Replies
3D scanner with multiple IXUS160 cameras
« on: 10 / May / 2015, 09:06:32 »
Advertisements
I am in the process of developing a 3D scanner with 60 IXUS160 cameras. Because the port is still under development http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12321 i was thinking to proceed with my project with the usb remote method. I am aware that with this method i will not be able to remotely control the camera from a computer and download images, but i am working an a tight deadline, and want the system to be functional asap.

I had been able to remotely shutter the camera with usb emergency charger. Does anyone have an idea how to connect all these cameras with the usb remote? usb hubs? or manually create a circuit of the usb cables?

Any suggestion, ideas, assistance to my project will be much appreciated.

Re: 3D scanner with multiple IXUS160 cameras
« Reply #1 on: 10 / May / 2015, 11:17:31 »
The first question you probably need to answer is how you intend to power all 60 cameras? 

If you buy one external power supply for each camera the wiring is easy but you do need a good ground connection (i.e. large gage wire) connecting the DC negative output of every supply together.

You might be able to share a supply between two to four cameras but you need to understand the peak current draws.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 10 / May / 2015, 13:28:52 »
James Gentles has the sort of devices you need. See here
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 11 / May / 2015, 06:28:46 »
The first question you probably need to answer is how you intend to power all 60 cameras? 

If you buy one external power supply for each camera the wiring is easy but you do need a good ground connection (i.e. large gage wire) connecting the DC negative output of every supply together.

You might be able to share a supply between two to four cameras but you need to understand the peak current draws.

I will purchase one external power supply and will try to share it with four cameras. Is there any information available on how to do this, so i will not damage the cameras? Thanks for the suggestion.

« Reply #4 on: 11 / May / 2015, 06:29:24 »

I got in contact with Gentles and waiting for his suggestions. Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: 11 / May / 2015, 08:56:39 »
I will purchase one external power supply and will try to share it with four cameras. Is there any information available on how to do this, so i will not damage the cameras? Thanks for the suggestion.
After looking at some of the recent posts about the amount of current necessary per camera, the safest recommendation is to use one A/C adapter per camera. 

I assume you are going to use a ACK-DC90 from Canon or an inexpensive knock-off like these.   

Otherwise, you can use a bigger generic power supply capable of about 8 amps and set for the appropriate voltage to power up to four cameras.   Or use a higher voltage supply (approx 12 VDC)  and a DC to DC converter per camera so that voltage drops in the power leads don't affect you.

Regardless,  the one thing you must do is to have a good ground conductor (heavy wire) that connects the negative output terminal of each of the supplies together.  If you don't do that,  the DC side of each supply just "floats" and significant potential differences can occur between camera,  with the potential for electronics damage or nasty electrical shocks to the operator.

« Reply #6 on: 11 / May / 2015, 10:03:44 »
After looking at some of the recent posts about the amount of current necessary per camera, the safest recommendation is to use one A/C adapter per camera. 

I assume you are going to use a ACK-DC90 from Canon or an inexpensive knock-off like these.   

Otherwise, you can use a bigger generic power supply capable of about 8 amps and set for the appropriate voltage to power up to four cameras.   Or use a higher voltage supply (approx 12 VDC)  and a DC to DC converter per camera so that voltage drops in the power leads don't affect you.

Regardless,  the one thing you must do is to have a good ground conductor (heavy wire) that connects the negative output terminal of each of the supplies together.  If you don't do that,  the DC side of each supply just "floats" and significant potential differences can occur between camera,  with the potential for electronics damage or nasty electrical shocks to the operator.

I will give it a try with the inexpensive power supply to see how well it works in order to minimize the costs. I will definitely get an advice from an electrician before i do any experiments by myself.
In the next few days i will have the cameras and the DC power supply to start doing my tests.

« Reply #7 on: 11 / May / 2015, 10:40:12 »
I will give it a try with the inexpensive power supply to see how well it works in order to minimize the costs.
I have bought four different inexpensive supplies (for different cameras) over the last couple of years.  They all worked initially but one had an output electrolytic capacitor fail causing the connected camera to act strangely by randomly shutting down.  I replaced the capacitor myself with a better one but not everyone is going to be able to do that.

FWIW,  my biggest fear with cheap supplies is fire.  If you make sure you mount them so that they are not exposed to a lot of heat and are well ventilated,  you make sure they are not next to anything flammable,  and you turn them off when you are not around to watch,  then most likely the worst failure will result in only a bad burning smell.   

With 60 cameras,  plan to have a few spare supplies available.

I will definitely get an advice from an electrician before i do any experiments by myself.
That's not a bad idea.  However, electricians tend to be more familiar with line voltage wiring.  The low voltage DC stuff is not something they usually encounter.   Make sure he understands the need for a common DC ground wire.

« Reply #8 on: 14 / May / 2015, 12:24:48 »

Do you have another contact info rather than the email in gentles website? I am trying to get in contact with but with no luck.

« Reply #9 on: 15 / May / 2015, 09:57:08 »

Do you have another contact info rather than the email in gentles website? I am trying to get in contact with but with no luck.
I PM'd you a direct email address.