Testing cameras after kbd.c change: 27 tested | 2 with minor bugs - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Testing cameras after kbd.c change: 27 tested | 2 with minor bugs

• 89 Replies

Offline koshy

Advertisements
if you are still in doubt,
ixus970_sd890 100b
is working as it should do.
Thank you very much for the report but I found an issue with the I970.

The jogdial behaviour is backwards in ALT mode.
Turning the jogdial clockwise makes selects one menu entry UP where it should select one DOWN
As this can be in the eye of the beholder I compared with I980 there it is the expected opposite direction.

- I970 boots a current CHDK 1.4 unstable build
- shows no "card locked" message
- outside alt mode key and menu operation was fine
- inside alt mode key and jog dial operation worked with the jogdial being backwords (see above)
- neither got through to Canon FW
- shot RAW / JPEG just fine
- USB remote worked
- CHDKPTP dial buttons and other buttons were fine and did not behave backwards
    - that is left went left and right went right e.g. on the exposure correction setting
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline koshy

IXUS 960: The "Touch control dial" does not get trapped in ALT mode. It goes through to the Canon FW.
This is the kind of dial it is: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/556879/Canon-Ixus-960-Is.html?page=43

- I960 boots a current CHDK 1.4 unstable build
- inside alt mode key operation worked but the touch dial gets out to Canon FW
    - it disrupts the CHDK menu by shoing the UI items shown in the above link
- USB remote worked
- CHDKPTP dial buttons and other buttons were fine
    - the dial button for left went left and right went right e.g. on the exposure correction setting
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline koshy

IXUS 950 / SD850 I could not test further yet as the menu key does not work in ALT mode.

Offline koshy

IXUS 900 worked but:

- No button operation in CHDKPTP (No SET, UP, DOWN etc.)
- Incomplete UI Overlay in CHDKPTP as in attached screen shot
- "Touch control dial" kept away from Canon FW in ALT mode (different than I960)
    - but not used on CHDK menus

- I900 boots a current CHDK 1.4 unstable build
- inside alt mode key operation worked, touch dial does not get used
- neither got through to Canon FW
- USB remote worked
- CHDKPTP didn't work

Offline reyalp

Thanks for the detailed reports. My main priority is making sure I didn't make anything worse in 1.4 than it is in 1.3, but I'll fix the other issues where I can.

Please include the firmware version you tested, if the camera has more than one.
The jogdial behaviour is backwards in ALT mode.
Turning the jogdial clockwise makes selects one menu entry UP where it should select one DOWN
As this can be in the eye of the beholder I compared with I980 there it is the expected opposite direction.
The Canon menus use Clockwise = DOWN, so CHDK should behave the same (like I980). This is probably an existing bug in the I970 port, but it should be easy to fix.

IXUS 960: The "Touch control dial" does not get trapped in ALT mode. It goes through to the Canon FW.
This is also likely a pre-existing issue. I'll look into solutions, but can you give me an idea how bad a problem it is? Does it make the CHDK menu unusable, or is it just a little annoying?

IXUS 950 / SD850 I could not test further yet as the menu key does not work in ALT mode.
Just to be clear, the camera goes into alt, but you can't open the menu? Do any other keys work in alt mode? For example, the FUNC button should open the script menu.

Can you check if this problem exists in 1.3

IXUS 900 worked but:
Can you check if script key presses work without PTP connected? ubtest.bas can do this, or just a simple script with click "menu"

Also try
 =post_levent_to_ui('PressSetButton')  post_levent_to_ui('UnpressSetButton')
This should open the FUNC menu, assuming you are in rec mode.

Unrelated to kbd.c, I'll look into it when I have a chance.
- "Touch control dial" kept away from Canon FW in ALT mode (different than I960)
If you mean CHDK does not do anything in response to touch on the dial, this is expected.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

Here's a test patch for ixus970_sd890 with the jogdial input reversed.

Offline koshy

Here's a test patch for ixus970_sd890 with the jogdial input reversed.
Thank you. I can confirm this one to be working. It can be committed.

Offline koshy

Thanks for the detailed reports. My main priority is making sure I didn't make anything worse in 1.4 than it is in 1.3, but I'll fix the other issues where I can.
Of course, but any such extensive testing endeavour will produce a couple of reports that will be unrelated. Still it's pointless not to report them once they are found. We should collect whatever you or anyone else does not pick up at this time on the first page for later treatment. Maybe nafraf will pick them up once he's not busy with other obligations.
Please include the firmware version you tested, if the camera has more than one.
Added all FW versions used in testing to the page 1 list.
This is also likely a pre-existing issue. I'll look into solutions, but can you give me an idea how bad a problem it is? Does it make the CHDK menu unusable, or is it just a little annoying?
Yes I think I noticed this before with 1.3 but didn't realize what it was. The chdk menu can be used but it's very anoyying. The touch control dial lets that wheel graphic pop up and it overwrites the rightmost third of the CHDK menu. If you press up down fast enough CHDK will overwrite the dial graphic and you can glimpse the settings and pressing left right you also see them briefly. It is not unuseable but it's unpleasant. I think part of the problem is that the keys that would make the touch dial thing go away are trapped by CHDK and so don't reach the Canon FW and this the dial stays up once it's produced. I950 and I900 have the same touch dial but don't have the problem if there is anything in there that helps...
Just to be clear, the camera goes into alt, but you can't open the menu? Do any other keys work in alt mode? For example, the FUNC button should open the script menu.
Yes one can go into ALT mode but will not get a menu. I re-tested it. after a few seconds the ALT shortcuts message comes up but DISP / SET / MENU all get me nowhere. PRINT exits ALT mode and enters it. That seems to be all.
Can you check if this problem exists in 1.3
Trunk 3788 was what I had on file and I didn't bother to get another version. With this 1.3 build MENU / DISP / SET all do what they should. So it seems to be new to 1.4.
IXUS 900 worked but:
Can you check if script key presses work without PTP connected? ubtest.bas can do this, or just a simple script with click "menu"
Sure can. It read "key test - set to end" and after a minute I did press set to abort.  =post_levent_to_ui('PressSetButton')  post_levent_to_ui('UnpressSetButton') in Rec mode in CHDKPTP did nothing.
Unrelated to kbd.c, I'll look into it when I have a chance.
If you mean CHDK does not do anything in response to touch on the dial, this is expected.
Yes that was what I meant. So CHDK doesnt use that touch dial as a jogdial. Good I didn't know if it would or not.

Offline reyalp

Of course, but any such extensive testing endeavour will produce a couple of reports that will be unrelated. Still it's pointless not to report them once they are found.
Agree completely, and I'm glad you are reporting them.

The chdk menu can be used but it's very anoyying. The touch control dial lets that wheel graphic pop up and it overwrites the rightmost third of the CHDK menu. If you press up down fast enough CHDK will overwrite the dial graphic and you can glimpse the settings and pressing left right you also see them briefly. It is not unuseable but it's unpleasant.
Thanks, that's good to know.
I think part of the problem is that the keys that would make the touch dial thing go away are trapped by CHDK and so don't reach the Canon FW and this the dial stays up once it's produced. I950 and I900 have the same touch dial but don't have the problem if there is anything in there that helps...
Yes, some cameras have workarounds, but it's quite confusing since parts of the code were blindly copy/pasted in many cases. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12245.msg121274#msg121274 for more of the touch dial saga.

I'll see what I can do for for I960.

Yes one can go into ALT mode but will not get a menu. I re-tested it. after a few seconds the ALT shortcuts message comes up but DISP / SET / MENU all get me nowhere. PRINT exits ALT mode and enters it. That seems to be all.
I must have broken that one, will look into it.

Sure can. It read "key test - set to end" and after a minute I did press set to abort. 
The first part of the key test checks CHDK receiving key presses. What we want to know is if the canon firmware sees key presses sent from script. ubtest does this by sending "menu" after you press set in the key test, so if it's working the canon menu should appear briefly.

If the post_levent doesn't work in PTP mode, I'd guess the keyboard just stays locked in PTP on this cam.

Offline koshy

The first part of the key test checks CHDK receiving key presses. What we want to know is if the canon firmware sees key presses sent from script. ubtest does this by sending "menu" after you press set in the key test, so if it's working the canon menu should appear briefly.
I checked and I saw the menu come up briefly as you said I would.