Porting a camera sx530hs - page 8 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Porting a camera sx530hs

• 300 Replies
Re: Porting a camera sx530hs
« Reply #70 on: 06 / April / 2016, 07:57:21 »
Advertisements
i know that first i must create a dump file (there is one already listed on the forums but its for sx520 firmware v.1.00b so im assuming i need to create a new one for v.1.00c)
If you are sure your cam has the 1.00c firmware, you don't need to upload a new dump. If you're not sure, make a new dump and search for the "GM1." string in it with a hex editor - there are other methods for determining the fw version of course.

The sx530 port (the official source) can't currently be compiled, but his situation will likely change shortly. The port also has an unsolved problem: many SD cards seem to give trouble when CHDK is running - we don't currently have an idea how to solve this.

If you also have the 100c firmware making the port will consist of:
- making a new row in camera_list.csv for the sx520hs
- copying loader/sx530hs to loader/sx520hs (with all its files)
- copying platform/sx530hs to platform/sx520hs (with all files)
under platform/sx520hs
- fixing platform_camera.h (CAM_DNG_LENS_INFO), focus_len_table stuff in main.c (it's wrong for sx530 too)
under platform/sx520hs/sub/100c
- fixing PLATFORMID in makefile.inc

Hope I didn't forget something.

If it turns out that you have a fw version other than 100c, making a port will require some research (for files in platform/sx520hs/sub/{version})

Thanks for all the help,i have done all the steps specified and the ones in the last reply, i booted the camera using bootable SD Card method, it loaded CHDK but right after it gave and error that stated that its "missing modules"?! (the camera still works and chdk is loaded and i can access it, just the missing module error stays on top)

do i have to do any changes to the modules folder/files?

also I am getting the memory card error when trying to capture pictures, i know that was an unsolved issue previously, but i was wondering could having the card in lock mode be causing that issue? is there a way to start chdk without having the SD card in lock mode?

here is the link to google drive with all the files that i have on the sx520hs:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzbV7TkC9ia4TjJfMTQtdmtDYUU&usp=sharing

« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2016, 08:20:46 by frk203 »

« Reply #71 on: 06 / April / 2016, 13:40:25 »
Thanks for all the help,i have done all the steps specified and the ones in the last reply, i booted the camera using bootable SD Card method, it loaded CHDK but right after it gave and error that stated that its "missing modules"?! (the camera still works and chdk is loaded and i can access it, just the missing module error stays on top)

do i have to do any changes to the modules folder/files?
How did you install your CHDK build on the SD card?

A standard compile of a CHDK port builds the files specific to the camera and quite a few other files that are common to all cameras.  Some of these are made into modules - they are only loaded to camera RAM when they are needed.

It sounds like you either did not do a full build,  or did not transfer all the files to your SD card,  or did not transfer them to the correct folders / folder structure on the SD card.

also I am getting the memory card error when trying to capture pictures, i know that was an unsolved issue previously, but i was wondering could having the card in lock mode be causing that issue? is there a way to start chdk without having the SD card in lock mode?
I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the card lock.  However, if you can build a ps.fi2 file then you can load CHDK via the firmware update method.  You need to know the magic keys to do that though - they are not published anywhere that I know of.

« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2016, 13:45:25 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #72 on: 06 / April / 2016, 14:29:53 »
The firmware update method does not solve the problem with the memory card. You have to find a card that works with your camera. I know it does not sound like some advanced solution, but it's the only thing you can do for now.
sx530 working with Toshiba C08G and Transcend TS8GUSDHC4 SD cards.
I do not know whether the same cards work with sx520.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #73 on: 06 / April / 2016, 15:24:04 »
here is the link to google drive with all the files that i have on the sx520hs:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzbV7TkC9ia4TjJfMTQtdmtDYUU&usp=sharing
You need the source code from here:
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdk/subversion/source/HEAD/trunk
Source code on your link is incomplete.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #74 on: 06 / April / 2016, 17:43:59 »
is there a way to start chdk without having the SD card in lock mode?
The necessary information is on this page: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers/fi2offsets , use your firmware dump and a hex editor (such as HxD) to extract the key and iv.

« Reply #75 on: 08 / April / 2016, 18:22:08 »
all files for sd card http://uptobox.com/fcvomjlul5gu ,everything is still in testing
all sd cards work over firmware update(thanks to blackhole)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #76 on: 09 / April / 2016, 08:44:59 »
all sd cards work over firmware update(thanks to blackhole)
Are you saying you do not have problems with your SD cards when you boot with firmware update? Do the same cards have problems when booting with diskboot.bin and locked card?

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #77 on: 09 / April / 2016, 09:19:05 »
Are you saying you do not have problems with your SD cards when you boot with firmware update? Do the same cards have problems when booting with diskboot.bin and locked card?
Yes it happens, I do not know whether it is the case, with all the cards that have a problem with diskboot.bin file, but the cards we've tried so far work well with ps.fi2 file.

EDIT:
I'm wiped patch from my reply # 68, with the changes in boot.c, cameras starting with firmware update method in wireless AP mode.
I'm sorry about that.
« Last Edit: 09 / April / 2016, 09:29:18 by blackhole »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #78 on: 09 / April / 2016, 09:51:23 »
Yes it happens, I do not know whether it is the case, with all the cards that have a problem with diskboot.bin file, but the cards we've tried so far work well with ps.fi2 file.
I see, I was under the impression (see reply #72) that the cards also fail with firmware update boot.

I might have asked this earlier, but: when you get card error in diskboot mode, do file operations fail afterwards? For example, can you launch stuff like the file browser?

It might be possible that one of the boot flags (that go in (0x2cf4+0x8) ) is related to the card issue. Other guess is that the camera's card protect sense switch is influencing more than one firmware variable, and only one of those is masked in kbd.c

I'm wiped patch from my reply # 68, with the changes in boot.c, cameras starting with firmware update method in wireless AP mode.
In this case, try playing around those flags (work out which one is which):
I'd like to note that several other hw (and other?) flags are ignored by the simplified method above, some of which might be important (might influence the card issue for example)?
See sub_ff02bbc0 and sub_ff073c68 for details (fw 100c).
If you need help with this, I can come up with more concrete suggestions.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #79 on: 09 / April / 2016, 12:44:37 »
I see, I was under the impression (see reply #72) that the cards also fail with firmware update boot.
The problem is my choice of words, I thought that a global problem with SD cards still exist, the firmware update method works but the problem with diskboot.bin method still exists.
English is not my language, so maybe and this answer is somewhat incomprehensible. :D
I might have asked this earlier, but: when you get card error in diskboot mode, do file operations fail afterwards? For example, can you launch stuff like the file browser?

It might be possible that one of the boot flags (that go in (0x2cf4+0x8) ) is related to the card issue. Other guess is that the camera's card protect sense switch is influencing more than one firmware variable, and only one of those is masked in kbd.c
I did not try to use the file browser, in that moment, but I tried to delete images from the Canon menu and I could not do it .Canon firmware is wrote the images are deleted but after the restart pictures are still on the sd card.
Today I do not have a camera so I can't try, but I'll try on Monday when I get the camera.
Quote from: srsa_4c on 18 / March / 2016, 01:03:06
I'd like to note that several other hw (and other?) flags are ignored by the simplified method above, some of which might be important (might influence the card issue for example)?
See sub_ff02bbc0 and sub_ff073c68 for details (fw 100c).
If you need help with this, I can come up with more concrete suggestions.
Suggestions are always welcome, I'd appreciate it.
I am not a programmer and do not fully understand all precesses.All I know about the firmware and modifications of the same I've learned by reading this forum and advice of people who know much more than me. One can say that I understand C code, assembler is much larger problem. I understand some basic things about the work of ASM code, but a deeper analysis and tracking within the ASM code is a problem.
I'm willing to accept all the advice, but I think I'm  close to my end limits. Some things like Movie_record_task and Filewrite_task I probably will not be able to solve.