Porting a camera sx530hs

• 300 Replies

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
Re: Porting a camera sx530hs
« Reply #90 on: 12 / April / 2016, 17:53:14 »
Advertisements
To complete the memory samples, try making another set, but this time with running CHDK (start in playback mode).
RAM dump from 'good' card with running chdk.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2NRqqO9AOURbVZuMEVqdFBTa00

RAM dumper can't be launched on the 'bad' card with running chdk.
Another idea:
Set the ALT button to a button other than the playback button. Start the camera (with CHDK) by pressing and holding the playback button (let it go when CHDK has started). And check if you get card error when trying to shoot.
Memory card error still exist.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #91 on: 12 / April / 2016, 18:13:14 »
RAM dump from 'good' card with running chdk.
Thanks for the dump.
RAM dumper can't be launched on the 'bad' card with running chdk.
That's good to know, I thought it happened upon trying to shoot.
Another idea:
Set the ALT button to a button other than the playback button. Start the camera (with CHDK) by pressing and holding the playback button (let it go when CHDK has started). And check if you get card error when trying to shoot.
Memory card error still exist.
Thanks, it was worth a try.

So, when you're booting on a 'bad' card, do you instantly get "Memory card error" on the screen or is there a delay before the error appears? What is the exact text?

(Please excuse the tedious process and questions, I'd just like to imagine where do things go wrong)

« Reply #92 on: 12 / April / 2016, 19:19:16 »
is it possible make something to change video bitrate or quality

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #93 on: 12 / April / 2016, 19:28:30 »
That's good to know, I thought it happened upon trying to shoot.
So, when you're booting on a 'bad' card, do you instantly get "Memory card error" on the screen or is there a delay before the error appears? What is the exact text?
After starting in the playback mode card is completely unusable. All the functions that need to read or write on the card does not work. File browser does not see any file on the card, languages can not be changed (.lng files are invisible in the menu).All this before the appearance of an error message.
Memory card error (this is the exact text) appears only after the first press to the shutter button, half_press is enough, not necessary to press the shutter button all the way.
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2016, 19:33:00 by blackhole »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #94 on: 13 / April / 2016, 11:21:40 »
After starting in the playback mode card is completely unusable. All the functions that need to read or write on the card does not work. File browser does not see any file on the card, languages can not be changed (.lng files are invisible in the menu).All this before the appearance of an error message.
That sounds like no file functions are usable (perhaps the file system is not mounted). What does the Canon playback mode user interface do? Does it simply display "No image" or something else (I assume the photos on the card are not visible)?

edit:
There might be a way to dump RAM without the filesystem. If you're familiar with chdkptp, it has a command named rmem that is usable without Lua.

Unfortunately, there are limitations:
- camera mode change requires Lua on camera (that means dump is limited to playback mode)
- rmem can't currently output binary data to file and it has severe problems formatting larger amounts of data. I have a hack to do file output, but it doesn't look nice.
- rmem doesn't accept zero as start address
« Last Edit: 13 / April / 2016, 11:34:47 by srsa_4c »

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #95 on: 13 / April / 2016, 11:34:55 »
What does the Canon playback mode user interface do? Does it simply display "No image" or something else (I assume the photos on the card are not visible)?
Strange is that I can view images that are on the card. "I can" and delete them, and then see the message 'No image', but after the restart the images are still on the card.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #96 on: 13 / April / 2016, 11:43:33 »
Strange is that I can view images that are on the card. "I can" and delete them, and then see the message 'No image', but after the restart the images are still on the card.
That sounds quite evil. Are you able to zoom into the images or play videos?

I've attached the rmem patch for chdkptp, if you'd like to play with it.

usage for patched chdkptp:
rmem 0x1000 0x10000 -file=dump.bin
where 0x1000 is the start address, 0x10000 is the length in bytes, dump.bin is the filename on the PC.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #97 on: 13 / April / 2016, 12:04:13 »
Are you able to zoom into the images or play videos?
I'm not sure, I'll try.
I've attached the rmem patch for chdkptp, if you'd like to play with it.
Thanks for the patch, I'll try and do that.
Now I'm in trouble, the battery is empty and the charger is not with me. :lol
I'll do it later, I have to  charge the battery.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #98 on: 13 / April / 2016, 12:46:36 »
Now I see I need to compile a new version of chdkptp, I've never done it before. It could take a long time. :(

Online reyalp

« Reply #99 on: 13 / April / 2016, 12:53:01 »
Now I see I need to compile a new version of chdkptp, I've never done it before. It could take a long time. :(
You can dump memory to a file on your PC without any patch, using something like:
Code: [Select]
!local r=con:getmem(0x1000,0x10000) fh=io.open("file.dmp","wb") fh:write(r) f:close()
Don't forget what the H stands for.