Could somebody school me on properties? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Could somebody school me on properties?

• 4 Replies
Could somebody school me on properties?
« on: 22 / June / 2015, 16:06:17 »
Advertisements
Extreme frustration setting in... hoping one of the resident experts can school me here.

What I want to do is basically setup my camera from "scratch" through PTP. I need to set all the parameters that are in the "Menu" as well as the picture taking settings. Most of the picture taking parameters that are universal to all cameras are easily done (ISO, exposure, etc), but the more camera specific ones are really throwing me a loop. I need to set things like the AF Frame, Digital Zoom, Servo AF, Lamp Setting, Power Save, Lens Retract Time.

I assume these are stored in properties and can be accessed with set_prop and get_prop? I have been doing parameter dumps ( using http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCaseDump ) after changing settings and things just don't seem to be changing in the dumps. Do they only take effect under certain conditions? I realize I could configure the settings by doing scripted button presses, but that relies on the camera already being configured a certain way (ie you have to press right x times when it starts at a certain setting). Am I missing something and are they stored elsewhere?

I apologize that this is probably a basic question that has been discussed in the past!

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: Could somebody school me on properties?
« Reply #1 on: 22 / June / 2015, 17:55:31 »
You can read all properties. But not all properties can be set. This means writing works but has no effect.

There is another nice way. Read this thread: UI properties

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #2 on: 22 / June / 2015, 19:29:26 »
Ahh... that thread is a good suggestion.

So many of the "UI Properties" are really not in those properties? My strategy was to dump props, change setting (through camera), then dump them again, but in most cases no props changed.

Will look at those. That may be exactly what I am looking for. Appreciate it!

« Reply #3 on: 25 / June / 2015, 14:47:48 »
What the patch does is:
- identifies a few functions that will be useful later
- determines the UI property count
- adds debug facilities that help future research

Here's a poor howto on usage:
Miscellaneous stuff -> Debug parameters -> ALT +/- debug action -> [CmpUIPr]

The UI properties will be sampled when the "debug shortcut" button is pressed in ALT mode.

The debug shortcut is usually one of the following buttons:
- "erase" (if it's not one of the directional buttons)
- DISP (if there is a separate DISP button)
- a button which is not a directional button, not SET, not MENU; for example the video (aka movie) button
In some cases there is no button assigned for this.

From the second sampling on, differences to the previous sample will be listed on screen.
This listing may conflict with CHDK on-screen elements, you may want to switch those off.

If you're hunting a specific setting: make sure you only change the desired setting.
For example, the vertical cursor position in the shooting menu has its own ID, but it is obviously not much of interest.

The IDs and values will be printed in decimal.
Using chdk-shell and the patch (http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10624.msg115828#msg115828) to build sx150is-100a-1.3.0-r3584-full, no button seems to act as the "debug shortcut".

Is there something I can do to try and identify it, please?

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #4 on: 25 / June / 2015, 16:11:26 »
The debug key should be the 'ERASE' button for the SX150.

Try a recent autobuild version.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links