Stable CHDK will not load on my sx120 - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Stable CHDK will not load on my sx120

• 13 Replies

Offline zeno

Re: Stable CHDK will not load on my sx120
« Reply #10 on: 25 / July / 2015, 13:07:32 »
Advertisements
Alfred

as srsa_4c says, you were almost there when you had two partitions All you needed to do was copy all the CHDK stuff into the big partition so that CHDK could find it when it starts up .

But I also agree with WaterWingz - a single 4GB FAT16 partition may be the simplest solution since it avoid all the pain of having to switch partitions just to copy photos.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #11 on: 26 / July / 2015, 01:55:08 »
Alfred

as srsa_4c says, you were almost there when you had two partitions All you needed to do was copy all the CHDK stuff into the big partition so that CHDK could find it when it starts up .

Hi Zeno
and thank for all the help so far.

In the end I got it working in my own way and your advice has helped me get there.

This is the way I did it:

1) Use a partition manager to create a 16MB FAT partition (BOOT) primary active on the PC
2) Use stick to do its magic thus preparing the card.
3) Put the SD back into the PC and create a FAT32 primary partition (PHOTOS) using the remainder of the space.
4) Boot PC with Ubuntu USB flash drive.
5) Copy the CHDK folder from the BOOT FAT16 part to the PHOTOS FAT32 partition.
6) Lock the card and bingo!

Now, when I take shots, they are saved to the FAT32 partition.
If I want to copy the photos from it, I have VirtualBox with a Ubuntu Linux VM to access the FAT32 partition.

I know it is a bit cumbersome, but will save me from buying a new camera.

Finally I have to learn how to use the scripts.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 26 / July / 2015, 05:10:35 by alfredb »

Offline zeno

« Reply #12 on: 26 / July / 2015, 04:42:19 »
Alfred - my congratulations on an excellent piece of work - and my apologies that STICK didn't do it all for you!
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #13 on: 26 / July / 2015, 05:10:10 »
Alfred - my congratulations on an excellent piece of work - and my apologies that STICK didn't do it all for you!

But it is thanks to STICK that CHDK boots from the SD card!