installing CHDK on Powershot A590is - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

installing CHDK on Powershot A590is

• 5 Replies
installing CHDK on Powershot A590is
« on: 29 / July / 2015, 13:02:29 »
Advertisements
Hi,
     I'm not new to CHDK, it's on my S5, although, admittedly, I haven't used it in a long while.
     Now I want to put it on a Powershot A590is but am having some difficulty.
The guide tells me to to start the camera, without using the on/off button, which I think it won't do, so I started it in playback using the on/off button. When I do this I don't see any CHDK screen. Am I missing something?
     Also, down the road, I think I'm going to need the Alt button, but I'm not sure which one passes for Alt on the A590.
Any help is appreciated. Perhaps there's a guide specifically for the A590???
Thanks,
.... john

Offline zeno

Re: installing CHDK on Powershot A590is
« Reply #1 on: 29 / July / 2015, 13:17:32 »
The simplest way to install the latest version of CHDK for your camera is to use my STICK utility. It will do everything for you - all you will then need to do is lock the card, put in the camera and switch on.

I have an A570 which is very similar to the A590. You can start the camera by pressing the On/Off button on the top and CHDK will start in recording (not playback mode).

The Alt button by default is the Print button (above and to the right of the Func/Set button - it has a blue LED in the middle).

Dave
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #2 on: 30 / July / 2015, 09:36:36 »
Hi Dave,
      Well, I finally got it going. The main problem, aside from my memory, was that I had to format my card in Fat 16, as opposed to Fat32 which is what my camera chose.
One other question. What options in CHDK do you consider worth exploring for this camera, and ...... I can't seem to get the Zebra to show ..... any thoughts?
Thanks again,
...... john

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 30 / July / 2015, 10:27:33 »
Hi John

glad you got things working. My own use of CHDK is rather limited and specialized. I take aerial photos using kites and a (very long) pole, so my main concerns are:
1. triggering the shutter remotely via radio control using the USB port
2. triggering the shutter using an intervalometer script
3. trying to get the best exposure, shutter speed set automagically for each shot (since I'm nowhere near the camera)

To accomplish all these I use WaterWingz kap_uav.lua script. That's it - I really don't use most of CHDK at all.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 31 / July / 2015, 14:58:23 »
Hi Dave,
        Thanks again for your help.
....john

« Reply #5 on: 17 / August / 2015, 09:09:36 »
Hi Dave,
      I eventually discovered that I had to format my SD card in FAT 16. After I did that things went along fairly smoothly.
..... john