SX60HS Porting - page 43 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

SX60HS Porting

• 915 Replies
Re: SX60HS Porting
« Reply #420 on: 12 / June / 2016, 22:01:57 »
Advertisements
" But, there is one strange thing which happens sometime. Sometime the camera is taking pictures rotated for 90 degrees clockwise. I found that if I first take only one picture without activating CHDK and after that if I start chdk then pictures are taken in proper orientation."

Thank you for your feedback. This kind of information is very useful. Can any other 100b users confirm this behavior ?
« Last Edit: 12 / June / 2016, 22:46:02 by 62ndidiot »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #421 on: 13 / June / 2016, 00:25:27 »
I found that if I first take only one picture without activating CHDK and after that if I start chdk then pictures are taken in proper orientation.
By "without activating CHDK" you mean not entering alt mode?

Firmware is 100b and I am using intervalometer script which is already inside the chdk.
interval.bas or interval.lua in the script directory?

A script with hard coded propset number for a different camera could possibly modify the orientation propcase, but the simple included interval scripts do do any propcase manipulation.

CHDK doesn't intentionally change the orientation value, but it's possible a bug could affect it somehow.

The orientation propcase is 225. In miscellaneous settings->debug, you can "Debug Data display" and set "PropCaseParamData Page" to 22
You should see a list of values on the screen. 225 should show 0, 90 or 270 depending on the camera orientation.

Set this, restart the camera, do what you'd normally do to run the intervalomter, and check what the orientation value shows.

Another to try would be instead of taking a picture manually first, just rotate the camera around so the orientation changes, and then start the script.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #422 on: 13 / June / 2016, 02:46:56 »
I found that if I first take only one picture without activating CHDK and after that if I start chdk then pictures are taken in proper orientation.
By "without activating CHDK" you mean not entering alt mode?
No, I take a picture with standard boot without chdk. And then, After I take a shot I restart camera in chdk by pressing play button and then I start the script.

Firmware is 100b and I am using intervalometer script which is already inside the chdk.
I tried both options and it seems that it behaves in the same way.

A script with hard coded propset number for a different camera could possibly modify the orientation propcase, but the simple included interval scripts do do any propcase manipulation.

CHDK doesn't intentionally change the orientation value, but it's possible a bug could affect it somehow.

The orientation propcase is 225. In miscellaneous settings->debug, you can "Debug Data display" and set "PropCaseParamData Page" to 22
You should see a list of values on the screen. 225 should show 0, 90 or 270 depending on the camera orientation.

Set this, restart the camera, do what you'd normally do to run the intervalomter, and check what the orientation value shows.

Another to try would be instead of taking a picture manually first, just rotate the camera around so the orientation changes, and then start the script.
Thank you for the informations, I will try that. And one more interesting thing, when chdk is activated and when I have the situation that pictures are taken in 90 degrees rotation, in that case chdk menu is flickering all the time. If chdk is started properly (doesn't shoot pictures rotated for 90 degrees) then chdk menu is normal (no flickering at all).

And regarding for you last suggestion regarding the turning the orientation of camera I already tried that and it is not working. Funny thing is that on the screen the picture is normal so you cannot see rotation. Only when you take a picture and you go to preview there you can see that pictures are rotated for 90 degrees.

« Reply #423 on: 13 / June / 2016, 02:54:07 »

Sorry for my ignorance, tell me are those files two different intervalometer scripts or not?

I tried activating both of those files through the chdk menu and I didn't notice differences in working.

But, on the other hand I am really a beginner in using chdk so it is very possible that I missed something..  :)

« Reply #424 on: 13 / June / 2016, 07:44:37 »
Sorry for my ignorance, tell me are those files two different intervalometer scripts or not?
Those two scripts are logically identical but they are implemented using the two different scripting languages supported by CHDK ( uBASIC or Lua).   I believe reyalp was simply trying to verify that you were using one of them - there was not expected to be any difference between them.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #425 on: 13 / June / 2016, 12:40:57 »
I will try to reproduce this on my 100f sx60, probably tomorrow.  It would be good to know the settings you are using, for example what position/mode is the dial selecting?

No, I take a picture with standard boot without chdk. And then, After I take a shot I restart camera in chdk by pressing play button and then I start the script.
So I assume you boot with the SD card writelock on in both boots? first by pressing the power button, and then by pressing the play button? or do you really do a Canon boot the first time, with writelock switched off?

Thank you for the informations, I will try that. And one more interesting thing, when chdk is activated and when I have the situation that pictures are taken in 90 degrees rotation, in that case chdk menu is flickering all the time. If chdk is started properly (doesn't shoot pictures rotated for 90 degrees) then chdk menu is normal (no flickering at all).
May I assume the camera is always approximately horizontal (no tilt) in both cases when you first boot to take a picture and when you next boot to run the script?

« Reply #426 on: 14 / June / 2016, 07:28:10 »
I will try to reproduce this on my 100f sx60, probably tomorrow.  It would be good to know the settings you are using, for example what position/mode is the dial selecting?

The settings I used is Av with f4 and manual focus. Nothing unusual. But, the same thing happenes when I use full manual.

So I assume you boot with the SD card writelock on in both boots? first by pressing the power button, and then by pressing the play button? or do you really do a Canon boot the first time, with writelock switched off?

I tried to lock the card and to boot like that but it give me the error every time and after that when I put the memory card in card reader it says memory card error. Then I have to format card and to copy over fresh version of CHDK. So, locking up the card for direct boot is not working for me. When I want to use chdk I push the play button and then go to upgrade via Menu button. In fact, I don't use writelock at all.

May I assume the camera is always approximately horizontal (no tilt) in both cases when you first boot to take a picture and when you next boot to run the script?

Yes, camera is always in the same position, in both cases. I looked up little closely the rotated pictures and in fact there are no changes in resolution. When I open that picture in Lightroom all I have to do is to rotate it back for 90 degrees and the picture is the same as others taken without rotation. So, to use those pictures I just rotate them back and after that I can normally work with them without any loss in quality.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #427 on: 14 / June / 2016, 09:08:04 »
I tried to lock the card and to boot like that but it give me the error every time and after that when I put the memory card in card reader it says memory card error. Then I have to format card and to copy over fresh version of CHDK. So, locking up the card for direct boot is not working for me. When I want to use chdk I push the play button and then go to upgrade via Menu button. In fact, I don't use writelock at all.
Hi gile2004 !
If you need help about preparing cards for "autoboot" method I can try to help you on Croatian language,if it helps.

« Reply #428 on: 14 / June / 2016, 12:10:38 »
I believe I have reproduced the issue on 100f.  I did a normal Canon boot (no writelock), took a picture with horizontal orientation. I then shutdown, and rebooted by pressing the play button. The picture was correctly displayed in the upper left quadrant of the lcd. I then pressed menu, and scrolled to firmware update,  and proceeded to update. As soon as the Chdk logo appeared the image was rotated by 90 degrees and remained that way.  Entering ALT mode and running interval.bas took pictures with proper orientation.  Scrolling back to the original picture, it was still rotated. Reboot, the picture is still rotated.  Some of my experimental pics are rotated by 180 because I tried firm update more than once with that shot displayed. Downloaded one of the rotated images (jpg) , and looked with exiftool, 

Code: [Select]
exiftool IMG_0291.JPG|grep -i rotate
Orientation                     : Rotate 90 CW
Auto Rotate                     : Rotate 90 CW

It would be interesting to see if this happens on g7x.  It appears that entering into firm update rotates the currently displayed jpeg, actually modifying its file on the card.
« Last Edit: 14 / June / 2016, 12:21:30 by 62ndidiot »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #429 on: 14 / June / 2016, 13:04:46 »
I tried to lock the card and to boot like that but it give me the error every time
Please give more details. What error? Is it from the camera, or when you are tying to make the card bootable?

When I want to use chdk I push the play button and then go to upgrade via Menu button. In fact, I don't use writelock at all.
Firmware update is known to have problems on digic 6 cameras. I would not recommend using it for shooting.
Don't forget what the H stands for.