SX60HS Porting - page 82 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

SX60HS Porting

• 915 Replies
Re: SX60HS Porting
« Reply #810 on: 22 / November / 2017, 08:12:41 »
Advertisements
As for the version 4391, I don't have access to a pc at the moment to check.  I also believe this camera is now in the "autobuild" section of the repository for CHDK so the latest version should be obtained there. 
Version 4391 is quite old but the OP mentioned 4931 - which is the current 1.5.0 version in the autobuild.   ;)

i think my english skills aren't good enough to explain myself
CHDK is a very international project. While english is commonly used on this forum, everyone is very patient with helping others who speak different languages. Sometime it just takes a little more time and explanation.

What i mean is that once in the menu, i see lots of variables, i have read the manual (92 pags pdf),
I'm not sure which manual you found - there have been many created by well meaning authors over the years.  Most are now obsolete, incomplete, and/or incorrect.

The official manual is here : CHDK User Manual

You might also find this wiki page useful : CHDK Links

and i still dont know how to load modules or scripts to get things as i read here: long exposure shots (up to three minutes??), intervalometer, and so on...
I think this is the same question asked here : Re: CANON SX 60 HS ?

Did you read this part of the manual : CHDK User Manual : Scripting ? It has "step by step" instructions

Many of the functions you request are available when you load and run a script.  CHDK includes a few simple scripts by default.  You can find many sophisticated and more capable scripts here : User Written Scripts. You need to download these scripts separately to your computer and load them onto you camera's SD card in the /CHDK/SCRIPTS folder before you can use them.

Don't worry about anything you read about modules. CHDK uses something called loadable modules, but it is not something a user needs to use or understand.

Setting long exposures is described here : CHDK User Manual : Override Tv   CHDK uses the standard photography term Tv (or Time Value) to describe shutter speed or exposure time.

Another thing i'm confused with is if there is any crop mode, like the one in Magic Lantern, so optical zom is increased with the lack of resolution, of course...
CHDK does not have a "crop mode".  I believe that is because it would be difficult to implement (regardless of what Magic Lantern can do), and because it is something that can be done easily in post processing.

edit : @reyalp -  as these last four posts are not specific to the sx60 porting thread, perhaps they should be moved to CHDK Forum » Using CHDK » General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases » Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2017, 17:57:26 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #811 on: 22 / November / 2017, 13:58:07 »

Another thing i'm confused with is if there is any crop mode, like the one in Magic Lantern, so optical zom is increased with the lack of resolution, of course...

CHDK does not have a "crop mode".  I believe that is because it would be difficult to implement (regardless of what Magic Lantern can do), and because it is something that can be done easily in post processing.

I'd love to have a crop mode like the 550D in magic lantern (which I think is actually supported in the Canon firmware for that model.

On the sx60hs, I have played with digital zoom overrides etc, but in general there isn't a crop mode that gains you resolution by simply taking a 640x480 video from the same size crop of the raw sensor.  As soon as you enter 1080P video, you have the firmware resolution reduced by a factor of 2 (summing pixels or averaging?) inside firmware. If you play with video size or digital zoom, the factor of 2 may become even larger.

« Reply #812 on: 22 / November / 2017, 14:18:29 »
Thank you very much, @waterwingz , and all my respect :)

You opened a window to a beautiful scripts landscape i was missing :) I had read those 'loading scripts' instructions, but didnt find yet those existings scripts  :-[

The CHDK manual link you provide is what i had convert to pdf, and my bedside's book from now  :D
but, most important: CHDK WIKI PAGE is the page i needed! I would have saved inconvenience from unnecessary comments. IM so sorry.

I'll keep on studying, i promise.

Regarding porting:

Of the few tests I have done so far, I have observed that the hyperfocal distance position always works, but the approach to infinity is incidental: once it worked, but not with the keys shortcut provided, but with a combination of UP + ZOOM IN. It is also difficult to understand why it does not always work.

Neither have I achieved that the manual focus can be controlled with the zoom trigger, or with the upper wheel.

Thank you, sincerely:

Javi

« Reply #813 on: 22 / November / 2017, 14:41:31 »
Neither have I achieved that the manual focus can be controlled with the zoom trigger, or with the upper wheel.
As far as I know, you must set the camera to manual focus mode, and then use the up and down arrows to focus the camera. 

I said that because in CHDK settings menu, a item is: "Use zoom buttons for MF" and a chek to active it  :-X

« Reply #814 on: 27 / November / 2017, 11:50:05 »
Hi again!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this, but as it concers SX60HS camera, maybe it could fit here...  ::)

Today, at home, with low light, and without any change from previous status, i see something strange when turning on the camera with locked SD card: when i invoque menu, and it appears, seems to be 'ok', but, when i press up or dpwn to navigate for the menu, the selected line starts flashing, and switches between the selected one and the previous one, at a fast blinking rhythm (maybe 0.1 sec.).

IT seems that involves the horizontality sensor, because if the camera is perfectly still i cant see that flashing, but the slightest movement causes the blinking.

Is there something like that related in the forum? maybe I have not known how to look for it  ???

thanks again!!

Javi

« Reply #815 on: 27 / November / 2017, 14:25:16 »
This could be caused because you are in Shoot mode when you powered up.  Low light or indeed anything updating the Canon ui in this mode causes irritating blinking. If you return to Play mode by holding the play button for a long press does the blinking stop and the menu behaviour return to normal?

« Reply #816 on: 27 / November / 2017, 15:32:25 »
This could be caused because you are in Shoot mode when you powered up.  Low light or indeed anything updating the Canon ui in this mode causes irritating blinking. If you return to Play mode by holding the play button for a long press does the blinking stop and the menu behaviour return to normal?

Oh yes, that's it! It's my fault. If power on camera with playback mode, then ALT mode, then MENU, it's OK. Thank you, @waterwingz and @62ndidiot  for facilitating my experience with CHDK in such an effective and pleasant way!   :P

« Reply #817 on: 29 / November / 2017, 07:17:24 »
Here i go again  :-X
I set DNG on, and the following occurs:
1.- Both RAW and DNG are recorded.
2.- DNG is bigger than RAW, not only in filsesize, but in XxY pixeles, and there appears somekind of 'frames' and a big vignetting while shooting in the angular position. :O?

« Reply #818 on: 29 / November / 2017, 07:26:51 »
I set DNG on, and the following occurs:
1.- Both RAW and DNG are recorded.
This is normal if the RAW file was created because you enabled both Canon's RAW mode and CHDK's DNG mode.  There will also be a JPG file of the same image.

DNG is bigger than RAW, not only in filsesize, but in XxY pixeles, and there appears somekind of 'frames' and a big vignetting while shooting in the angular position.
Again, perfectly normal. The CHDK DNG is a dump of the sensor data without correction applied. The Canon RAW file has corrections and lossless compression applied.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #819 on: 29 / November / 2017, 11:03:22 »
This is because the DNG file does not have geometry ( lens distortion) corrections applied, and the lens is set a low value for focal length which makes distortion large.   
Canon corrects this in firmware when it creates JPEG or video.  I can't remember if it also corrects the CR2 raw file as well, or whether this done in Canon and Adobe software. 
In any case you need to apply lens distortion corrections.  Without going into two much detail, you can find Adobes lens profile downloader and get a profile for a similar camera like the sx280, or look in the lensfun database for a similar profile. These can be imported and used in various photo processing programs like rawtherapee and others.