Download help - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Download help

• 8 Replies
Download help
« on: 01 / September / 2015, 22:13:24 »
Advertisements
Hello!  I am extremely amateur and was wondering whether someone could walk me step by step to download CHDK on my Cannon Powershoot S95.  I am particularly interested in the video focusing function.  Thank you in advance!!

Re: Download help
« Reply #1 on: 01 / September / 2015, 23:35:53 »
There are many "how to" guides for installing CHDK available online. Most of them being either obsolete, inaccurate, incomplete, or just plain wrong.

Detailed, up-to-date, and guaranteed correct step by step instructions on the various methods of installing CHDK are here :
 Prepare your SD Card
Note that the S95 was released prior to 2011 so follow instructions for those cameras.

I strongly recommend using the STICK utility linked at the top of that page - it will do everything for you.

When you are done with that,  it's probably worth scrolling through the CHDK User Manual
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 03 / September / 2015, 22:12:02 »
Thank you so much!  I actually used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOaspc4Ohw and believe I was successful.  Could you help me learn how to optical zoom during video recording?  I didn't look that hard, but I couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

« Reply #3 on: 03 / September / 2015, 22:21:53 »
I actually used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOaspc4Ohw and believe I was successful. 
Ouch.  I have communicated with the maker of that video several times pointing out the mistakes and omissions in his video. He apparently has no desire to correct those errors.   I guess anyone  with a tiny bit of knowledge can pass themselves off as an expert on the internet these days.

If you want CHDK to load automatically (in the background) each time you start your camera then that video is of no help.  The link I posted to the STICK Utility is the way to go.

Could you help me learn how to optical zoom during video recording?  I didn't look that hard, but I couldn't find it in the manual.
In the Video Parameters menu ( 2nd item down in the Main Menu ) you will find an option called Enable Optical Zoom [  ] .  You need to enable that option and then exit from CHDK <ALT> mode.  Optical zoom in video mode should now be enabled.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 04 / September / 2015, 12:50:48 »
Thank you so much for letting me know about the video! I will look into the STICK page.

For some reason I don't have a Video Parameters option?  When I click Menu, the second option is "AF-assist Beam".  I get:
Digital Zoom
AF-assist Beam
Safety MF
Wind Filter
Custom Display
IS Mode
Set Shortcut button

Sorry for my inexperience!  Thank you very much for your help.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #5 on: 04 / September / 2015, 14:17:37 »
For some reason I don't have a Video Parameters option?  When I click Menu, the second option is "AF-assist Beam".  I get:
Video parameters are in chdk menu, not in the Canon menu.
You must be in ALT mode and then press the Menu button.
Look here for the CHDK user manual and pay special attention to the part about ALT mode and on the part of the CHDK Main menu.

« Reply #6 on: 04 / September / 2015, 14:47:20 »
Thank you so much! I found it.  So now that it is enabled, how do you refocus?  I tried half pressing the shutter button while recording, but that didn't do the trick.
« Last Edit: 04 / September / 2015, 14:51:46 by Zabka »

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #7 on: 04 / September / 2015, 15:13:41 »
In the video parameters, you must define your key for autofocus - AF key. Use the keys < > on the camera to select.

« Reply #8 on: 04 / September / 2015, 15:42:18 »
Thank you so much!! I can do it!!