Firmware Update Method not working? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Firmware Update Method not working?

• 8 Replies
Firmware Update Method not working?
« on: 28 / September / 2015, 20:17:23 »
Advertisements
Hi,

Newb here. I'm having mixed results installing chdk through the firmware update method on different Powershot cameras. On my first attempt, I installed chdk on 64gb card on a Powershot G15 and it worked. I then used the same steps to install chdk on a 32gb card on a Powershot s95 and there's no firmware update option? I also used the same steps on a Powershot G11 and same thing, no firmware option?

I followed the same steps I used to get it working the G15, but for some reason it won't work on these other cameras.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Firmware Update Method not working?
« Reply #1 on: 28 / September / 2015, 21:11:34 »
I believe that the G11 was not successfully ported for "firmware update"  loading.  Out of 125 or so ports,  there have only been a couple with that problem.

Not sure what could be wrong with your S95 - the porting thread indicates it should work.  Are you sure you have followed the steps exactly - including starting the camera by pressing the playback button rather than the On/Off button?

My S100 was reported to not support "firmware update" loading and I was able to fix that.  Perhaps the G11 could be fixed as well if somebody who owns one of the cameras has the time to try.

edit :  Re-reading your post, I have a very obvious question.  Where did you download the three different CHDK distribution zip files from (one for each of your cameras)?
« Last Edit: 28 / September / 2015, 21:22:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 28 / September / 2015, 23:50:24 »
I followed the same steps I used to get it working the G15, but for some reason it won't work on these other cameras.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

If you just need a "Simple" way to make the SD cards bootable you can use the CHDK
"SD Boot" utility in your camera that has the Firmware Update Method that works.

You can then make, the now Bootable SD, into a "Dual Boot" by a simple hack.

By making temporary changes to any file by changing the 8.3 "Fat 12/16/32"
"Names.DOS" to "Names~DOS" or "Names&DOS" or "Names!DOS".

Some Examples:-

DISKBOOT.BIN to DISKBOOT~BIN for the camera that the Firmware Update Method worked.

and then the reverse

DISKBOOT&BIN to DISKBOOT.BIN for the camera that the Firmware Update Method Failed.

its also a good idea to have  File~txt and File&txt that contain the relevant details. Very
useful if you need to do this for a number of spare SD cards. [File = "G15" etc. etc.]

CHDK will only boot with the valid DISKBOOT.BIN file, the DISKBOOT~BIN and DISKBOOT&BIN
files are simply just ignored. Any setup files in the CHDK folder might also need to be hacked
but as most of the CHDK are common to both camera they remain un-hacked.

H-H

Edit #1

W-W Reply #1
"..Re-reading your post, I have a very obvious question.  Where did you download the three different CHDK distribution zip files from (one for each of your cameras).."

See above Method for "Tripple" CHDK Booting

Examples:-

#1 DISKBOOT&BIN,  File&txt
#2 DISKBOOT~BIN,  File~txt
#3 DISKBOOT!BIN,   File!txt
« Last Edit: 29 / September / 2015, 00:03:23 by Hardware_Hacker »

« Reply #3 on: 29 / September / 2015, 08:14:39 »
If you just need a "Simple" way to make the SD cards bootable you can use the CHDK "SD Boot" utility in your camera that has the Firmware Update Method that works.
The original post by upgrayedd asked why his S95 and G11 would not boot via the "firmware update" method.  So as not to confuse the him, I'll point out that your answer does not attempt to answer that question.

You can then make, the now Bootable SD, into a "Dual Boot" by a simple hack. By making temporary changes to any file by changing the 8.3 "Fat 12/16/32" "Names.DOS" to "Names~DOS" or "Names&DOS" or "Names!DOS".
So this method essentially keeps copies of DISKBOOT.BIN for different cameras all on the same SD card but stored with different file names?  To "activate" a card for a particular camera,  you need to put the SD card in your computer and rename the appropriate file to DISKBOOT.BIN?

its also a good idea to have  File~txt and File&txt that contain the relevant details. Very useful if you need to do this for a number of spare SD cards. [File = "G15" etc. etc.]
If so, then to make things easier to remember, you could use DISKBOOT.G11  DISKBOOT.G15  and  DISKBOOT.S95 and skip the need for the Files~txt trick.

Any setup files in the CHDK folder might also need to be hacked but as most of the CHDK are common to both camera they remain un-hacked.
For this reason alone, I would suggest not using this method.  "Most" is not "all" and strange behavior could result.

W-W Reply #1
"..Re-reading your post, I have a very obvious question.  Where did you download the three different CHDK distribution zip files from (one for each of your cameras).."
I was trying to determine if the OP was using the same (and possibly obolete) zip file for each camera or if he had correctly downloaded a current version of CHDK for each.   He did not ask how to setup his cameras for "SD Card Lock" autobooting or I would have simply pointed him to STICK

« Reply #4 on: 29 / September / 2015, 11:38:51 »
I believe that the G11 was not successfully ported for "firmware update"  loading.  Out of 125 or so ports,  there have only been a couple with that problem.

Not sure what could be wrong with your S95 - the porting thread indicates it should work.  Are you sure you have followed the steps exactly - including starting the camera by pressing the playback button rather than the On/Off button?

My S100 was reported to not support "firmware update" loading and I was able to fix that.  Perhaps the G11 could be fixed as well if somebody who owns one of the cameras has the time to try.

edit :  Re-reading your post, I have a very obvious question.  Where did you download the three different CHDK distribution zip files from (one for each of your cameras)?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Aha, just thought the G11 would work if the G15 worked. Oh well, honestly I would rather get the S95 working.

Yes, I followed the same steps used to get the G15 working, and there's still no firmware update option in the menu. The S95 is running the 100E firmware, and I even tried all other versions and still nothing.

I downloaded all zips from here: http://mighty-hoernsche.de

Thanks again.

« Reply #5 on: 29 / September / 2015, 14:53:22 »
Yes, I followed the same steps used to get the G15 working, and there's still no firmware update option in the menu. The S95 is running the 100E firmware, and I even tried all other versions and still nothing.
Only two things are required to get the firmware update method of loading to work.
  • a valid ps.fi2 file in the root (or top) directory of your SD card (older cameras used a somewhat different file name)
  • starting the camera with the Playback button rather than the on/off swith

Are you able to get the S95 to autoboot  (SD card lock booting) instead?

Did you try the STICK utility and let it format and configure your SD card?  That would give you both auto-booting or firmware update loading.

« Reply #6 on: 30 / September / 2015, 12:43:13 »
Thanks Waterwingz!!

I tried the STICK Utility and that worked! The s95 is ready for flight!

On a side note, just out of curiosity I tried to format my 64gb card in the STICK Utility and it wouldn't work?

Thanks again for your time & help! :D

Offline zeno

« Reply #7 on: 30 / September / 2015, 13:27:20 »
The s95 is a pre-2011 camera, so large cards require two partitions. STICK should be able to do that - it's supposed to handle 64Gb cards. If it didn't work could you email the sticklog.txt file (in the STICK directory) to me (daveATzenoshrdlu.com) and I'll see if I can tell why it failed.

zeno (Dave)

A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #8 on: 27 / September / 2021, 14:18:06 »
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6341.msg147039#msg147039  :haha

That had a reason...
You could have a cam, SD-card locked, bootable with DISKBOOT.BIN & low bat...

You could have collected the PS.FI2 files from all the cams compatible with the same CHDK-folder/ digic / architecture
 with names like SX240PS.FIT, SX260PS.FIT,...
Then You can use filebrowser to choose the NEXT cam to run CHDK via Firmware update by renaming THAT.FIT to *.FI2... AND recent.FI2 to *.FIT...
Be shure to have ONLY ONE .FI2 file in the root directory (could be Ixus265PS.FI2) && SD unlocked...

... or replace the battery...

Edit: If necessary then that could also be used to compare versions of PS.FI2 of same cam.
ThereĀ“s no need to reboot after renaming here.  :)
« Last Edit: 27 / September / 2021, 16:01:19 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.