CHDK startup delay with more photos and specific builds - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDK startup delay with more photos and specific builds

• 8 Replies

Offline obsidian

• A710IS
CHDK startup delay with more photos and specific builds
« on: 06 / May / 2008, 04:37:12 »
Advertisements
Hello, I have a problem. I made 380 photos. Camera is booting longer.
Now I describe where the lags are:
turning to shoot mode:  normal startup, LCD scene("live view") appears without any GUI(CHDK nor Canon GUI) (live view of sceneonly) AND NOW THE 2 second LAG(camera doesnt reply to keypresses, they are queed and normally continues

SYMPTOMS(build 51):
if i delete dcim -> no lags
if i go to build 16 -> no lags
if i go to build 37 -> lags
if i delete chdk folder (build 51,37) -> lags

what is the problem? any suggestions
i suspect filespace indicator

A710IS + 4GB SanDisk Ultra II

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: CHDK startup delay with more photos and specific builds
« Reply #1 on: 06 / May / 2008, 04:52:27 »
well for a quick check you can disable the filespace indicator. however i think that filespace isnt the reason, not only because i coded it, but because get_freespace and get_cardsize shouldnt be any slower to operate once the card is more full.

Offline obsidian

• A710IS
« Reply #2 on: 06 / May / 2008, 08:18:26 »
i have always disabled space monitor. Where can I find history of builds (like this list:
build x: hotpixel removal
build y: usermenu
build z: optical videozoom)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX

Offline obsidian

• A710IS
« Reply #4 on: 06 / May / 2008, 12:03:50 »
where can I download more builds(old) from 16 to 50?

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 06 / May / 2008, 12:32:02 »
Hi !
I don't know of any place that stores all old binaries, but the trunk source repository has the source to
all CHDK builds, it's here: /trunk - chdk - Trac

Top right (under the menu bar) you'll see 'View Revision', fill in your trunk number (1...390 ATM),
press enter and that revision will be made current. Press Zip Archive (center bottom of page)
to download a zip archive for the chosen revision, which you then need to unpack and compile.
After unpacking you will find the Allbest version number in 'version.inc'

Go here All articles - CHDK Wiki if you need pointers on how to compile
('Compiling under Linux' / 'Compiling under Windows')

If you want a Windows GUI shell that helps to install the compiler go here: zSHARE - chdk-shell-v125.zip

good luck,
wim

PS: About the delays: have not seen these myself, but if you switch versions it's always a good idea to
       remove the previous CHDK.CFG (or rename it)
« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2008, 12:49:56 by whim »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #6 on: 07 / May / 2008, 13:54:07 »
also mind you that IF the old builds dont show this odd behaviour, this doesnt prove that my function is the cause for that. you need to take a current revision, uncomment the "space stuff" and compile, then you can make a real benchmark.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 13 / May / 2008, 12:54:24 »
any news on this?

by the way, as of now my 4GB sdcard is full (about 10 megs left). starting the cam takes ages in playback mode, either with or without chdk. the "busy" lamp is blinking all the time and i cant press buttons as when i do press a button, there is a messaghe like "camera is busy". the card is formatted as fat16, so this problem can either be the fat16, the "fullness", the fragmentation of the data or a combination of these.
in record mode everything is fine.
i dont know if this problem is related to the one you are experiencing, anyhoo - it has nothing to do with chdk (at least in my case).

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #8 on: 14 / May / 2008, 15:36:54 »
update: found out what my cam is doing when the led is blinking and i cannot press anything: it is counting the pictures on the card. thats why in rec mode there is no delay (by the way, when you start in rec mode and then switch to playback, it still has this awful delay).how did i find this out? well, you cannot press buttons like "delete" or "menu", however you can cycle through the pictures and even press display button (to see histogram and stuff). when the led is blinking, the osd item that tells the number of the shown pictures (and how many pictures there are on the card) isnt shown. however when the led stops blinking, it is shown.
strange, as i thought looking it up in the "filetable" of the cards header is enough. i guess the cam is checking each picture to find out if it can render it? hmhm. will do some tests with defragmenting.

edit: defragmenting was of no use. even though i defragged for HOURS, i gained not even a second in startup delay.
but now i think i found the culprit: autoplay0.mrk (in MISC folder)
this file is created when you create a slideshow (in s3is you can keep up to three lists of predefined pictures that will be shown in a slideshow). this file was full of pictures that werent existing on the card anymore. i suspect the camera is searching the file and searching for the images mentioned in the file. the fact i had a lot of pics in that file that i already deleted sure was the missing bit of information in my case here. when i delete a picture in camera, the image is deleted from that "playlist" automatically. when i remove the pictures manually via cardreader, the file isnt updated ( i guess it is updated when you copy/move pictures using the canon tools like zoombrowser). anyhoo, deleting that file solved my problems.
now this still can be totally unrelated to your problem, especially when you dont own an s-series camera (although maybe DPOF can also be the culprit). however you say this problem only persists with CHDK enabled... hm.
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2008, 19:38:34 by PhyrePhoX »