Specific Object Detection Triggering Shutter? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Specific Object Detection Triggering Shutter?

• 4 Replies
« on: 19 / October / 2015, 11:03:20 »
Advertisements
Hey guys,

I just started looking into the CHDK today. I was wondering whether it's possible to do any sort of image processing on what the camera sees, then triggering the shutter depending on what's in the image.

I did a quick search through the forums, but I haven't found anything particularly conclusive, and I'm not entirely sure the motion detection is capable of this sort of thing - as it waits for motion in a specific zone. For example, if I stood in front of the camera, could I get it to trigger by tilting my head, or making some kind of sign with my hands?

In essence, I was wondering whether it's possible to replicate the functionality that the LG G3 has - you show the camera an open hand, close it into a fist, and the camera begins a countdown timer before taking the picture, or even have it starting the camera's countdown on just seeing the open hand. I'd like to do this from anywhere that's visible to the camera, without it taking photos on any sort of motion without distinction.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 19 / October / 2015, 11:08:03 by echan »

« Reply #1 on: 19 / October / 2015, 11:43:18 »
The short answer to your question is " No".  CHDK had nothing capable of doing the image processing you describe and adding it would be very difficult.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Specific Object Detection Triggering Shutter?
« Reply #2 on: 19 / October / 2015, 13:32:07 »
Ah, that's unfortunate. Thanks for your help.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 19 / October / 2015, 16:57:24 »
FWIW, the Canon firmware on some cameras does have some features sort of like this, for example triggering the countdown when someone winks or after another face enters the scene.

AFAIK no one has done much reverse engineering on either of these features, although on some cameras it is possible to access the number of detected faces, see chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8243.msg86889#msg86889

If you know C, you can write your own code to analyze the live view data, but as waterwingz says, recognizing hand signals would likely be a lot of work.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 20 / October / 2015, 02:13:22 »
It wouldn't be that hard to recognize markers though, even a simple pattern you can draw on paper.  I'd suggest a unique pattern like a Costas array,
0    0    0    1
0    0    1    0
1    0    0    0
0    1    0    0

You could use a circle finder or Harris corner detector as parts of the algorithm.  You could also use a barcode. There would be free C code for any of these things.