rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering - page 12 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering

• 207 Replies

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Re: rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering
« Reply #110 on: 13 / January / 2019, 04:59:00 »
Advertisements
Being slightly pedantic, I would say it's the way with the highest potential image quality. Whether that is "right" depends on the user requirements and capability.

Slapping together a timelapse of medium res jpegs with no post processing at all is perfectly reasonable for some users, and rawopint can give pretty decent results in this case.

I didn't want to go there, but just assumed Right Way was spelled with capitals......if you are a believer this is the Thruth.
it all depends, yes.
I've been making timelapse, stop-motion and animation for over 10 years now and my methods change sometimes per project depending on what is feasable at that moment.
at first i used an external trigger.
but after chdk 0.7 or so i placed it on my a480, everybody thought i was a nutter leaving the Right Way behind..I still have that a480 today
although i really had to update that software to 1.5 last year, i still have the 0.7 so i can always revert back ;)
and i actually don't have an external trigger anymore..it's on my "todo" list for a few years now: building an arduino based trigger.

my projects might include raw, but especially for longer, high volume shoots, i don't consider that an option.
it's not that i don't like the quality or possibilitys, the data is just too much...with mostly jpg I already have >10TB dedicated for storage and throw away old/rendered material weekly because i need the space
furthermore, if it ends up in a hd movie the added value of raw vs jpg is minimal in my opinion.

about processing csv. well, actually i use UI mostly because it suits my need best and that has a ssv instead of csv. and i haven't really found looked for a way to script process those logs reliable. i just haven't gotten around to that in the past 10 years.....but as soon as i find time...i'll do something else first

About post-processing I feel the same..it is unavoidable. but I really like to minimize post processing for things I could have solved previously on the cam.
« Last Edit: 13 / January / 2019, 06:40:29 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #111 on: 13 / January / 2019, 08:08:10 »
Being slightly pedantic, I would say it's the way with the highest potential image quality. Whether that is "right" depends on the user requirements and capability.
That's what I meant by that. I probably did not express myself correctly.
Slapping together a timelapse of medium res jpegs with no post processing at all is perfectly reasonable for some users, and rawopint can give pretty decent results in this case.
Of course, in 80% of the cases, I do not need any further post-processing. The script already delivers fantastic results.

furthermore, if it ends up in a hd movie the added value of raw vs jpg is minimal in my opinion.
I am not convinced. Especially when shooting directly into the sun, the differences are already very large. Either the sun is burned out or the shadows are too dark. Since the differences are enormous if you take RAW or JPG. Even a totally wrong white balance cannot be resolved with JPG.

it's not that i don't like the quality or possibilitys, the data is just too much...with mostly jpg I already have >10TB dedicated for storage and throw away old/rendered material weekly because i need the space
The memory was not going to increase if you save the developed JPG's from the RAW's. That's how I do it in most cases. The RAW data are usually only temporary. Only my best scenes are saved as RAW.
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #112 on: 13 / January / 2019, 08:25:54 »
i just don't have the equipment or resources to spend. but if you are willing to sponsor me...send those 1tb sd cards my way!  8)
« Last Edit: 13 / January / 2019, 08:29:57 by Mlapse »

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #113 on: 13 / January / 2019, 08:45:07 »
i just don't have the equipment or resources to spend. but if you are willing to sponsor me

I would first start clean up at the 10TB  :D

...send those 1tb sd cards my way!  8)

This is all pretty off topic now here ...
I just bought a 128G card for 15 €. Since fit with the G1x about 6000 RAW's on it. I would like to see a time lapse, where this limit is exceeded and it does not get boring.
I do not guess a lapser with his 600 videos has exceeded this limit.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser

M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #114 on: 13 / January / 2019, 14:46:36 »
I just bought a 128G card for 15 €.
that is a good price.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #115 on: 15 / January / 2019, 11:57:25 »
I lowered the Nd value apex 96 to 192 for the M10 and the floating is gone....for some reason it took a few tries before it sticked.

« Last Edit: 15 / January / 2019, 12:01:57 by Mlapse »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #116 on: 15 / January / 2019, 22:43:20 »
I lowered the Nd value apex 96 to 192 for the M10 and the floating is gone....for some reason it took a few tries before it sticked.
I'm not sure what happened, but that really shouldn't work. The M10 does not have a camera controllable ND filter, and the script should not attempt to do anything with the ND on ports that are configured without one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #117 on: 16 / January / 2019, 03:18:19 »
I'm not sure what happened, but that really shouldn't work. The M10 does not have a camera controllable ND filter, and the script should not attempt to do anything with the ND on ports that are configured without one.
I'm not sure either, but you can see it between the first restart and second restart in the log. at first restart i just stopped the script and restarted. the second restart i booted the camera (nd changed back to 288)

But i am also not sure why rawopint would make my sensor so much hotter than canon's firmware or why nobody else sees that...to me those temp levels look disturbing.
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2019, 03:40:05 by Mlapse »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #118 on: 16 / January / 2019, 17:02:53 »
But i am also not sure why rawopint would make my sensor so much hotter than canon's firmware or why nobody else sees that...to me those temp levels look disturbing.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, did you post more detail somewhere?

Shooting rapidly is expected to run hotter than idling.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #119 on: 17 / January / 2019, 02:44:14 »
maybe I'm mistaken and it is normal for an aps-c sensor, but the log i posted a while back had tsens of over 50C, the log from a few days back still had 45C. although iso was only 200.
The interval was 30 sec, so i can't imagine that is quick enough to heat it up that much.