A560 Tlapse1 Turn raw off? - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A560 Tlapse1 Turn raw off?

• 10 Replies
A560 Tlapse1 Turn raw off?
« on: 06 / January / 2016, 12:20:07 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I have been playing with this for a while in my studio, doing little timelapses on a pair of a560s and have decided to see if I can hack the script a bit to fix a problem I keep running into.

Every so often, the camera seems to default to RAW and I end up filling my card before I realize what is going on. This ruins the timelapse and I have to start over. On some projects I can't do that.

So, I would like to have the option built into the script to turn off raw.

While we are at it, can I build in the option to lock the exposure based on the first frame?

I am a major noobie to coding in lua, or coding in much of anything, so I am probably going to struggle a bit more than most of you pros at this stuff. But, any help, snippets of code, or lua for dummies pages would be great!

Thank you!
Matt

Canon a560
running chdk 1.4

Offline reyalp

Re: A560 Tlapse1 Turn raw off?
« Reply #1 on: 06 / January / 2016, 13:30:43 »
Every so often, the camera seems to default to RAW and I end up filling my card before I realize what is going on. This ruins the timelapse and I have to start over. On some projects I can't do that.
You are probably hitting the raw shortcut key. This is a longstanding CHDK problem.

You can make the script always disable raw by adding
set_raw(0)
near the start of the script.
Assuming you are using http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Lapse_Script_One you could put it right above interval=...

While we are at it, can I build in the option to lock the exposure based on the first frame?
If you just want to make it act like the exposure option is always set to "locked", you can  change the line

exposure_mode = e
to
exposure_mode = 1

For clarity, you should probably also delete the
@param     e Exposure
and two following lines to take the option out of the menu.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 06 / January / 2016, 18:20:53 »
Ah! Got it! Thank you.

Actually, I missed the fact that I could set the exposure to lock. Still playing with this... ;-)

« Reply #3 on: 06 / January / 2016, 19:26:12 »
Nice on the ability to turn off the raw!

Now, how about that auto focus lock?

I thought that, if it was set to Locked, it would focus for the first image and use that focus for every proceeding image. This way, if the camera is panning past some items on a table, it won't constantly be adjusting the focus.

I just finished a test where it would focus on the foreground, then shift to the background when the foreground item was not centered. So, when I put it all together, the focus jumps from the foreground to the background and back again during the pan.

I am trying to read the code but not really getting it.

Do I need to set the focus point somehow before setting the script or does the a560 just ignore the lock_focus function?

For anyone searching for the script I am attempting to work with it, it's here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Lapse_Script_One

« Reply #4 on: 06 / January / 2016, 19:35:15 »
I thought that, if it was set to Locked, it would focus for the first image and use that focus for every proceeding image. This way, if the camera is panning past some items on a table, it won't constantly be adjusting the focus.
You are correct - that's how it is supposed to work.  But the ability to successfully set / lock focus varies a bit from camera to camera and AFAIK that script was published before the most recent changes to manual focus settled.   I have an A560 buried somewhere - I'll dig it out and give it a try.

Do I need to set the focus point somehow before setting the script or does the a560 just ignore the lock_focus function?
The script will attempt to focus when it starts.  So you should have the camera pointed where you want it to focus when you start.

For anyone searching for the script I am attempting to work with it, it's here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Lapse_Script_One
Looks  somehow familiar8)

UPDATE :  here's a version that works for the a560 (attached).  Need to do a bit more testing to see how it interacts with other cameras.
« Last Edit: 06 / January / 2016, 21:02:43 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #5 on: 07 / January / 2016, 08:09:24 »
Whoa! I didn't realize that you were the creator of that one! Thank you for helping out with this!

I am putting the new script into play today and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

M

« Reply #6 on: 08 / January / 2016, 09:13:26 »
That works beautifully! Thank you!

Now to really get complicated, here is a wild dream request: is there a way to tell the camera to only capture 1280x720 or 1920x1080? I know it is a different ratio, so it would basically be telling the on board processor to crop top and bottom of each jpg. The reason I ask is that this would streamline my post situation a bit. While it is nice to be able to burn out an oversized timelapse movie that I can then edit in FCPX with zoom ins and other tweaks, I often end up with hugemongous raw footage files. Or, I have to run a crop script in photoshop to change the size/format of a bunch of files.

Just curious if this was even possible to do.

« Reply #7 on: 08 / January / 2016, 11:15:48 »
Just curious if this was even possible to do.
Sorry - this is not within the current capabilities of CHDK.

« Reply #8 on: 08 / January / 2016, 11:26:33 »
Ah, no worries, then. Something to dream about...

« Reply #9 on: 08 / January / 2016, 12:12:13 »
Ah, no worries, then. Something to dream about...
It would be a lot of work to trick the Canon firmware into producing  JPG images with a custom aspect ratio.

But if all you want is a custom crop of the CHDK RAW/DNG images, I beleive that could be done by simply changing a couple of parameters used by the RAW code and recompiling a custom build.  There might be an additional fiddle required but nothing too difficult at the code level.