Super High Resolution (100MP+) using Horizontal + Vertical Panorama - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum  

Super High Resolution (100MP+) using Horizontal + Vertical Panorama

• 8 Replies

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
Advertisements
Hello.

I'm looking for a way to create Super High Resolution Images which can be done in Photoshop by stitching several images to create a single Super Hi Res image often exceeding several hundred mega pixels.

A technique explained here (WITHOUT requiring any special equipment): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGR-Q9Pkjc

OR with special equipment like GigaPan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZWym8MUhU

Basically, it is a panorama, where rather than just horizontal sweeping, there is horizontal + Vertial sweeping and then stitching all the images into one (just like panorama)
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,
so the name ShahJahan in its literal sense means King of the World.

Offline ahull

Re: Super High Resolution (100MP+) using Horizontal + Vertical Panorama
« Reply #1 on: 18 / January / 2016, 15:48:48 »
You can do this with a simple tripod, and something like Hugin Panorama Photo Stitcher

The Hugin web site has some great tutorials. The image above was composed using Hugin, this is a lower resolution version. From memory, the original comprises 10x12 Megapixel images. 

BTW Shah Jahan, would your first subject be the  Taj Mahal by any chance? :D
« Last Edit: 18 / January / 2016, 15:54:31 by ahull »

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #2 on: 23 / January / 2016, 11:13:02 »
You can do this with a simple tripod, and something like Hugin Panorama Photo Stitcher

The Hugin web site has some great tutorials. The image above was composed using Hugin, this is a lower resolution version. From memory, the original comprises 10x12 Megapixel images. 

I can already do that with and without tripod and stitch the images using Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) which is free http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/

It does a pretty good job at a fraction of time and using least system resources than that of the PhotoShop technique posted in the above first YouTube link. How does MS-ICE compare to Hugin?! And do we still need Hugin as now PhotoShop CC 2015 can generate such panoramas by itself (without any need of plugins) or does Hugin do a better job than PS CC 2015 and MS-ICE?

I was requesting if it would be possible to do such "panoramas" on the camera itself. Several Cameras and many phone apps allow to take panorama shots. So would it be possible to do it in CHDK?! That was what I was requesting for.

BTW Shah Jahan, would your first subject be the  Taj Mahal by any chance? :D
Got the pun! (alluding to me being ShahJahan?!)

Nope, I'm over a thousand KMs away from the Taj and despite being from India, I still haven't seen the Taj! But when I go there, I'd go prepared! Not in the near future though!
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,

« Reply #3 on: 23 / January / 2016, 11:22:16 »
I was requesting if it would be possible to do such "panoramas" on the camera itself. Several Cameras and many phone apps allow to take panorama shots. So would it be possible to do it in CHDK?!
Short answer = no.

Longer answer = image manipulation is very processor intensive. CHDK does not have access to the camera's DSP where most of that image processing takes place.  While it might be possible to implement this in the ARM part of the DIGIC processor that CHDK uses,  it would be a lot of work to code it and the final result would be very slow.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #4 on: 23 / January / 2016, 15:40:49 »
Short answer = no.

Longer answer = image manipulation is very processor intensive. CHDK does not have access to the camera's DSP where most of that image processing takes place.  While it might be possible to implement this in the ARM part of the DIGIC processor that CHDK uses,  it would be a lot of work to code it and the final result would be very slow.
Even I had a feeling of it. I knew that this must not be just because of scripting challenge. As if it were, then atleast somebody might have done it. It must be because of the Hardware required and I thought perhaps also because composing such several 100MPs of image might overload the hardware and it might NOT be able to save the final image (if it even reaches there!)
But I thought that if not Vertical + Horizontal, then atleast sweep panorama should have had been done? But since even that was missing, my hopes were pretty low to begin with!

Thanks though, I appreciate your answers.

« Reply #5 on: 23 / January / 2016, 17:50:16 »
I knew that this must not be just because of scripting challenge.
In general, nobody gets too interested in doing things in code with CHDK that are easier, faster, and more flexible to do in post processing.   Things implemented in CHDK tend to be things that need to be done when the image is captured.  Stitching together panoramas does not fit into that category.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #6 on: 24 / January / 2016, 04:36:33 »
I knew that this must not be just because of scripting challenge.
In general, nobody gets too interested in doing things in code with CHDK that are easier, faster, and more flexible to do in post processing.   Things implemented in CHDK tend to be things that need to be done when the image is captured.  Stitching together panoramas does not fit into that category.
If not the Super High Resolution Panorama, then atleast a sweep panorama should have been nice to have. Yeah, it can be done in post, but if we can save some time on Post, it would be nice.

Although yeah, you are right, it can be easily done in post.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 24 / January / 2016, 14:44:44 »
If not the Super High Resolution Panorama, then atleast a sweep panorama should have been nice to have. Yeah, it can be done in post, but if we can save some time on Post, it would be nice.
It's certainly convenient to be able to do stuff like this right in the camera, but implementing something like this in CHDK would be an enormous amount of work if it's possible at all. I wouldn't reject it if someone else found a way to implement it, but it's not something I'd spend hundreds or thousands of hours into trying to do.

CHDK is subject to a lot of limitations because it is hacked into a completely undocumented system.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #8 on: 25 / January / 2016, 12:21:41 »
It's certainly convenient to be able to do stuff like this right in the camera, but implementing something like this in CHDK would be an enormous amount of work if it's possible at all. I wouldn't reject it if someone else found a way to implement it, but it's not something I'd spend hundreds or thousands of hours into trying to do.

CHDK is subject to a lot of limitations because it is hacked into a completely undocumented system.
I do a lot of Android Mods flashing (CyanogenMod particularly on most) on several of my and my family, friends and relatives cell phones (since I enjoy doing it) and I was hoping that one day perhaps even the camera manufacturers will unite to unify the OS of the camera (like Android did with several manufacturers offering Android as their OS), and releasing the OS source code for their particular Camera, making it easy to port, hack, mod and add functionality to it.

Perhaps then just like android has several famous mods, like CyanogenMod, SlimROM, etc., even the camera's might have something similar, despite being vastly diverse in their hardware configurations! The cellphone industry saw wisdom in it, perhaps one day the camera industry would too? Those who don't will perish like Nokia, despite being on top of their game!

Until then, Post Processing is the only way!

Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate it.