Can't get CHDK to work on A560 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Can't get CHDK to work on A560

• 11 Replies
« on: 04 / February / 2016, 19:24:58 »
Advertisements
I can't seem to get CHDK to work on my Canon A560. It has firmware 1.00a

I've tried copying all the files and using the firmware update method and can't get firmware update to show up.

I then dowloaded Stick and tried to set the card up to autoload. If I insert it locked, I just get a message that the card is locked. If I unlock it, I still can't get a firmware update to show.

I'm stuck. One thing I did notice is that when I go into to check firmware and press disp again, I have a zoomlenserror.

Any suggestions?

Re: Can't get CHDK to work on A560
« Reply #1 on: 04 / February / 2016, 20:29:03 »
Which instructions did you follow? (a link would help here)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 04 / February / 2016, 20:57:15 »
Thank you for the reply.

I used the steps here
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

Finally after a lot of Googling and impatience  :-X I was able to get the card setup via STICK as a bootable card and can now run CHDK  :D

I think my lens error has something to do with not being able to access the firmware update. That's what I get for buying a camera for <$20 on eBay

I am using a Mac with El Capitan. Apparently the FAQ for STICK isn't updated, as it only reference issues with Leopard and Mavericks with permissions. I was finally able to get everything to work by running the shell script referenced, while logged in via my admin profile. Now the card is bootable and CHDK runs when I start the camera. Exactly what I wanted.

Now I have to figure out how the heck to use it... but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge for that.

Here is the FAQ I used for STICK
http://zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html

I tried everything first, downloaded The UnArchiver. Copied each file to the root one by one. Used terminal to remove tags OS X may have put, even though I used UnArchiver. Finally, I was looking through the log for STICK and saw where permission was denied and it clicked.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / February / 2016, 21:22:21 »
What size is your SD card?

Did you notice the part in the instructions where it tells you to start the camera by pressing the play button rather than the on/off switch? The firmware update option in the Canon menu will not be available if you do not.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 05 / February / 2016, 00:13:26 »
I think my lens error has something to do with not being able to access the firmware update. That's what I get for buying a camera for <$20 on eBay
If you only see the lens error in the version info screen, it is not a problem, and doesn't interfere with loading CHDK. It just means that your camera had a lens error sometime in the past, for example if the lens was blocked when it powered on. This is very common for a camera that old.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / February / 2016, 07:04:35 »
What size is your SD card?

Did you notice the part in the instructions where it tells you to start the camera by pressing the play button rather than the on/off switch? The firmware update option in the Canon menu will not be available if you do not.

2GB Card. I formatted it using low level via the camera. Then verified on my Mac that it was Fat16 partitioned.

I was using play to start the camera.

The curious thing is, I still can't get firmware update to show. The card boots fine from the card, but if I switch the card to unlock and turn it on via play, nothing. I scroll all the way through and get to reset all. Nothing below it, and nothing hidden in the options above it.

As for the zoom lens issue, yes there were a few times the lens didn't close completely. So that explains that. Glad it doesn't interfere with CHDK.

Offline zeno

« Reply #6 on: 05 / February / 2016, 12:44:07 »
My apologies. I updated the STICK webpage just a week or so ago but somehow managed to forget to update that bit about Mountain Lion and Mavericks - I've just done so, it now makes it clear it applies to all versions of OS from Mountain Lion onwards. I need to make the same change to quite a few other apps as well.

I can't explain why you can't do a (temporary) firmware update - the A560 zip does have the necessary PS.FIR file which STICK should have copied to the card. Mind you, I can never understand why people want to use the firmware update method of loading CHDK, auto-booting using a locked card seems so much quicker and simpler.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #7 on: 05 / February / 2016, 18:37:19 »
The curious thing is, I still can't get firmware update to show. The card boots fine from the card, but if I switch the card to unlock and turn it on via play, nothing. I scroll all the way through and get to reset all. Nothing below it, and nothing hidden in the options above it.
I was curious about this so I dug up my old A560, which I also purchased on eBay for less than $20. I tried the following sequence :

• Start the camera by pressing and holding the playback button until the camera powers on.(the one with the blue triangle in a blue rectange, a slash, and a red camera symbol).
  • Press the Menu button once
  • Press the Up button (the one that says ISO on the control thumbwheel thingy)
  • Press Func/Set on the menu item that then appears .... i.e.  Firmware Update  !
  • Press the Right button to highlight OK
  • Press Func/Set again.
  • Camera reboots and CHDK loads

Works pretty much exactly as expected (CHDK 1.4.0 build 4175).  I have no idea why yours does not.

« Reply #8 on: 05 / February / 2016, 19:51:50 »
Zeno: Thank you for updating the info. I agree, using autoboot is really the only way to go. The reason I was trying to use firmware update method was because I was going to set the card up to auto boot using the steps outlined in the "Prepare your SD card" wiki. I'm always a little wary downloading unknown software if there's a way to do it manually. Once I gave up on that, I came across your app. Once I realized I was having an issue due to OSx it was all gravy :)

Waterwyngz: I do those exact same steps. Except firmware update never shows up.

I came across a FAQ here
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:FAQ

that referenced a problem that someone else had and they were getting a zoomlenserror. So I thought maybe that was the issue.

Either way, my problem has been solved by Zeno and his awesome App. I just threw you a few $ for the headache your saved me.  :D
« Last Edit: 05 / February / 2016, 19:58:52 by vr4legacy »

« Reply #9 on: 05 / February / 2016, 20:20:24 »
The reason I was trying to use firmware update method was because I was going to set the card up to auto boot using the steps outlined in the "Prepare your SD card" wiki.
Those should all work too.  That's why I collected them there.

Waterwyngz: I do those exact same steps. Except firmware update never shows up.
AFAIK,  the only thing that would prevent those steps from working is not having a PS.FIR file in the top folder on your SD card.  You are using a 2G card formatted in the camera so there is nothing strange there.   But then I don't use Apple products so there might be something there : CHDK FAQ : Mac - Still Having Trouble?

Recent off topic link demonstrating one of the hundreds of reasons why I hate Apple :

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair