Using Wireless USB Hub for CHDKPTP communications - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Using Wireless USB Hub for CHDKPTP communications

• 8 Replies
« on: 11 / February / 2016, 07:06:17 »
Advertisements
Hi

I have seen a USB Hub on Amazon which converts the USB communication into ethernet and WiFi signal which can then fed into a PC.

http://www.amazon.in/IOGEAR-Wireless-Sharing-Station-GUWIP204/dp/B0058DN1Q4

Just Curious to know if anyone have used one and can confirm that it works for CHDKPTP communication.

This will help help lots of project builders who build Timelapse, Multicamera setup, Canon CHDK Video recorder, CHDK PIR security etc. as it takes away the 5 meter USB cable length limitation.

I hope there are more than 4 port versions also available somewhere.

Re: Using Wireless USB Hub for CHDKPTP communications
« Reply #1 on: 11 / February / 2016, 07:12:03 »
Interesting idea - first time of seen one of these. 

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Sharing-Station-GUWIP204/dp/B0058DN1Q4

$70  (US$) and free shipping.   Looks promising.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 12 / February / 2016, 11:01:23 »
http://www.amazon.in/IOGEAR-Wireless-Sharing-Station-GUWIP204/dp/B0058DN1Q4

Just Curious to know if anyone have used one and can confirm that it works for CHDKPTP communication.
Just reviewed that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcS-9VTQ1s - interesting device.

I can't however see any use case for chdkptp which uses ptp implemented over usb. What configuration did you imagine using it in?

This could be useful https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006011502459
"WiFi is one way to implment OSI Layers 1 and 2 (see http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_L... It does that using radio technology. Ethernet is another way to implment Layers 1 and 2 (using wires or fibre). Once you have a Layer 1 and 2 infrastructure, you then have a local network (LAN) that can interconnect a small number of hosts (usually a few to a few hundred) that are typically managed by a single entity. You can then run any Level 3 internetworking protocol, such as IP, IPX, AppleTalk, etc. over the LAN, which allows those hosts to talk not only to each other but also to hosts anywhere else on the internet (provided you have an appropriate router with a physical connection to an ISP). If your Level 3 protocol is IP, then you can run any of several Level 4 protocols on top of that, such as TCP or UDP. The Level 4 protocols transfer data between specified "ports" (basically, just numerical addresses) on the hosts at the two ends, and they can do it very reliably, though with high overhead (TCP), not reliably, but with low overhead (UDP), or in various other ways."

« Reply #3 on: 12 / February / 2016, 11:22:27 »

I can't however see any use case for chdkptp which uses ptp implemented over usb.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here as this is exactly what CHDKPTP does - implements a extended PTP protocol conversation over USB.

« Reply #4 on: 12 / February / 2016, 11:43:47 »
I'm not sure what you are getting at here as this is exactly what CHDKPTP does - implements a extended PTP protocol conversation over USB.

How (at wherever the chdkptp client resides) would you convert from ptp messages to wif (or ethernet) for its wifi (or ethernet) adapter to send to IOGEAR?

« Reply #5 on: 12 / February / 2016, 13:06:01 »
How (at wherever the chdkptp client resides) would you convert from ptp messages to wif (or ethernet) for its wifi (or ethernet) adapter to send to IOGEAR?
AFAIK, you load a driver for the IOGEAR unit on your PC that looks like a USB device to the software on your PC but that actually bridges to the USB ports on the remote hardware over TCP/IP (hardwire or Wi-Fi).

I believe that's the reason why it is not supported on iOS or Win8 / Win10.  It's a ten year old device without the drivers for more recent OS's.

« Reply #6 on: 14 / February / 2016, 05:54:27 »
AFAIK, you load a driver for the IOGEAR unit on your PC that looks like a USB device to the software on your PC but that actually bridges to the USB ports on the remote hardware over TCP/IP (hardwire or Wi-Fi).

I believe that's the reason why it is not supported on iOS or Win8 / Win10.  It's a ten year old device without the drivers for more recent OS's.

Having briefly reviewed RNDIS (Remote Network Driver Interface Specification), which permits emulating Ethernet over USB (i.e. an interface between the USB Host Controller Driver and the TCP/IP stack), I think I can sort of understand how this might work (if that is behind the scenes).

I've also read that the "4-Port USB Sharing Station also supports a USB 2.0 hub extension, which can support up to 4 USB devices"

Do you therefore imagine this device to be able to act as a virtual 16 port usb hub / multicam station?

If so, I can perhaps imagine the ptp -> ip then back to ptp could cause significantly worse synch with the multicam shoot hook sync command. 

« Reply #7 on: 15 / February / 2016, 04:47:28 »
"Do you therefore imagine this device to be able to act as a virtual 16 port usb hub / multicam station?"

Yes. Thats what I was intending. If it creates issues in sync., it may still be useful for applications like timelapse photo etc. if it works.

« Reply #8 on: 15 / February / 2016, 08:24:17 »
Yes. Thats what I was intending. If it creates issues in sync., it may still be useful for applications like timelapse photo etc. if it works.

If you get a chance to try it out it'd be nice to hear how you get on!