24-hour infrared time-lapse (IXUS 230 HS) - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

24-hour infrared time-lapse (IXUS 230 HS)

• 4 Replies
24-hour infrared time-lapse (IXUS 230 HS)
« on: 19 / February / 2016, 07:41:37 »
Advertisements
Yesterday I successfully tested my field rig for long time-lapses. It consists of a converted IXUS 230 HS (running CHDK 1.3 and TimeLapseOne script), 7.2 Ah AGM battery and a tiny DC-DC converter. Turned out my 32 GiB SD card would fit about 48 hours when using 3-second intervals at 6 MPix (note: less frames were taken at night due to longer exposures; optimally I should use a script which disables recording for the night). The skies were really bleak in visible light, but in near infrared (with Baader IR-pass 685 nm filter) things looked more interesting.

Here's the time-lapse, about 24 h total (some intervals removed); shot in Beskids, south Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3K7l3U-Dk

(quality much degraded by YT's recompression)

Offline reyalp

Re: 24-hour infrared time-lapse (IXUS 230 HS)
« Reply #1 on: 20 / February / 2016, 16:13:53 »
Very nice :)

What kind of color processing did you do on the images?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline igb

« Reply #2 on: 21 / February / 2016, 18:27:18 »
(running CHDK 1.3 and TimeLapseOne script), 7.2 Ah AGM battery and a tiny DC-DC converter.
what this? please link? i need...

« Reply #3 on: 23 / February / 2016, 16:13:15 »
What kind of color processing did you do on the images?

Images are straight out of camera, I just used custom white balance, set on a piece of white paper. The pictures were then cropped and resized in VirtualDub.

Theoretically one could shoot in RAW and then perform full processing (swapping channels and other popular IR photography tricks), but since RAWs are some 18 MB here, I could store much fewer of them (while a 6 MPix JPG is under 1 MB).

what this? please link? i need...

It's the first script on this page: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/User_Written_Scripts

I enabled focus lock - this way I can use autofocus reliably by first pointing the camera e.g. at the mountains, and then reframe towards the sky. Thanks to the initial focus lock, I'm sure the focus won't get lost by camera attempting to set it on clouds or on clear sky.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 23 / February / 2016, 17:27:09 »
Images are straight out of camera, I just used custom white balance, set on a piece of white paper. The pictures were then cropped and resized in VirtualDub.
I think that worked well. I asked because I remembered other people getting very extreme colors the camera IR filter removed. I don't remember any of them using additional filters though, the 685 nm filter probably changes quite a bit.

Raw would definitely be a trade off in storage and shooting speed.
Don't forget what the H stands for.