Timelapse with CHDKptp / ptpcam gui - page 3 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Timelapse with CHDKptp / ptpcam gui

• 28 Replies
Re: Timelapse with CHDKptp / ptpcam gui
« Reply #20 on: 14 / October / 2016, 13:59:06 »
Advertisements
In time lapse, there is one more option I would need in case my interval is to be long. For example when I make 2 photos a day, then my camera is set to save power and it turns off after 3 minutes, but I would want to turn it on again on schedule. Is there any script or command that can turn on the camera?
This is not something you can do with a script (or any other camera configuration method).

What people do in this situation is mechanically hold the power button down (i.e. on) with a clamp of some sort.  They then use an external circuit / timer to enable & disable power to the camera.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 14 / October / 2016, 23:03:38 »
The GUI code is relatively complicated (as GUIs tend to be...) but it's not clear that your application requires GUI.
I'd like to make a timelapse movie first, to see how all this options work out, then I was thinking trying stop motion technique and there I was thinking if it could be possible to make myself sort of full screen live preview, but all this Lua framework just looks too difficult for me.
For stop motion you might be interested in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12805.0

Some videos made with this are posted in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12434.0
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #22 on: 17 / October / 2016, 12:12:54 »
I'm playing with motion detect script and because I have my camera 5 meters away, I'm looking through live view. That has some problems, the picture is stretched and tilted, both in record and play modes the same.

I wanted to use this opportunity to ask am I doing something wrong or will this be corrected with new version? It would be awesome if I could resize live view to full screen.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 17 / October / 2016, 13:25:17 »
I'm playing with motion detect script and because I have my camera 5 meters away, I'm looking through live view. That has some problems, the picture is stretched and tilted, both in record and play modes the same.

I wanted to use this opportunity to ask am I doing something wrong or will this be corrected with new version?
This looks like a bug in the port. I'll try to take a look when I have some time, unless someone else beats me to it.
It would be awesome if I could resize live view to full screen.
chdkptp currently only supports half size and 100%. Allowing other sizes would be a nice feature.

« Reply #24 on: 20 / October / 2016, 13:33:31 »
chdkptp currently only supports half size and 100%. Allowing other sizes would be a nice feature.
Yes, i believe it would be a nice feature, too. It would make a really fancy GUI. I don't know if this is the right topic to make other suggestions about GUI, but there are 3 things that I would like to mention about possible GUI design improvements. I was into making stop motion movie, so this is just the 3 things that I miss in current GUI that with this stuff improved, it would make it perfect for stop motion.

1. Resizable live view, like mentioned

2. GUI remembers setting for the next time I run it (for example it runs with full screen live view after I set it so)

3. The design.

There is just one thing terribly wrong with the design. It doesn't follow windows standards. Windows standards are pretty straight forward, you have title bar, menu bar, toolbar and status bar. And so you need this elements where they are supposed to be located. That's what bothers me about the design and that's what I thing needs some improvement.

For example, with this improvement, when I'm doing a stop motion photography, I have this button "remote shoot JPG" in tool bar. So I would see live view and toolbar at the same time. That would be an improvement not only for stop motion, but I think overall.
Here is a little sketch I made to see what I mean.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #25 on: 20 / October / 2016, 16:23:32 »
2. GUI remembers setting for the next time I run it (for example it runs with full screen live view after I set it so)
Yes, this is something I've meant to add to the "pref" system for a long time, just haven't got around to it.
3. The design.

There is just one thing terribly wrong with the design. It doesn't follow windows standards. Windows standards are pretty straight forward, you have title bar, menu bar, toolbar and status bar. And so you need this elements where they are supposed to be located. That's what bothers me about the design and that's what I thing needs some improvement.
I don't disagree the design is terrible. Actually, there isn't really design :haha I originally wrote the code as a proof of concept and just added stuff over time. It really needs a design that is thought out from the ground up. However, I'm not a UI designer and I don't have a lot of time to spend on it.

That said, I would disagree that diverging from windows standards is the main thing wrong with it. It's nice for an app to follow familiar patterns, but if I have to choose I worry about functionality first. Plus chdkptp is cross platform, so it's always going to be a bit off on some.

As usual, code contributions are welcome.

« Reply #26 on: 21 / October / 2016, 11:29:28 »
That said, I would disagree that diverging from windows standards is the main thing wrong with it.
But of course it is. Well, perhaps it's just my user experience, I haven't used it for too long, but this was my first impression, that status bar and menu bar were a bit off and the rest of the design was just perfect.

I also remember that I had trouble the first time running it, because I didn't immediately find the "rec" button (with my camera model I have to press "rec" to wake up the camera first). Otherwise it's very good user experience.

I have a question about how to make a certain routine for stop motion photography, should I open new topic? It's different script than time lapse, it's a more difficult question, where I want to combine motion detection.
Anyway, not to be too off topic, here's my time lapse movie.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #27 on: 21 / October / 2016, 13:00:00 »
I have a question about how to make a certain routine for stop motion photography, should I open new topic? It's different script than time lapse, it's a more difficult question, where I want to combine motion detection.
Feel free to open a new topic.

I'd suggest not opening a topic for every question though, usually when people are working on a project, they have a lot of different questions related to the project and it's easier to follow if they are all in one thread.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #28 on: 22 / October / 2016, 19:09:41 »
This looks like a bug in the port. I'll try to take a look when I have some time, unless someone else beats me to it.
Test builds posted in the porting thread: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8085.msg130347#msg130347