SX720 Porting thread - page 16 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX720 Porting thread

• 166 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: SX720 Porting thread
« Reply #150 on: 06 / August / 2019, 22:13:02 »
Advertisements
My first goal is to collect all existing work done to get CHDK working on the SX720. I see asm1989's post where he posted the latest source code but the link no longer works. Does anyone have a backup or has this been committed to the SVN repository? The only commit I see relating to the SX720 is r4572 which improves the signature finder so I am thinking that existing progress has not been committed to the repository.
Welcome :)

It was never added to the official SVN.  The last I have is from April 9, 2016, which is from before it was booting.

I've attached it, but I'd recommend waiting to see if @asm1989 or @srsa_4c has something more current before digging in.

Digic 6 support has matured quite a bit since, so in any case you'll want to refer to the other ports that are in SVN.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SX720

« Reply #151 on: 07 / August / 2019, 00:32:37 »
I agree with you regarding waiting. I don't want to duplicate any existing efforts.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #152 on: 07 / August / 2019, 13:37:04 »
I've attached it, but I'd recommend waiting to see if @asm1989 or @srsa_4c has something more current before digging in.
I don't. asm1989 has not logged in for 3+ years.
I seem to recall that the CreateTask patch has unusual alignment requirements in this cam.

Offline SX720

« Reply #153 on: 07 / August / 2019, 22:29:30 »
srsa_4c, I understand the desire to get started right away however reviewing the thread asm1989 has made signification progress  and it looks like he was working on it for over a month. I don't want to lose out on that. Any time invested in contacting asm1989 to get the files will be well worth it. I already sent him a PM. I am not sure if he gets an email notification for that but if he does he may see it and upload what he has.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #154 on: 07 / August / 2019, 22:47:22 »
The task hook issue srsa_4c mentioned is here https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12804.msg127880#msg127880

As I mentioned, digic 6 support is a lot more mature than it was when the original port was started, so if you don't hear from asm1989, starting fresh shouldn't be a really huge deal.

Offline SX720

« Reply #155 on: 15 / September / 2019, 22:43:15 »
Code: [Select]
raise TimeoutError('No reply.')
I don't think we will receive a response from asm1989.

I started work on this using the latest available archive provided by reyalp then replaced boot.c with the one provided by srsa_4c earlier in the thread.

I have the 101a version anyway so less work is lost than I thought because I think I will need to make some changes to boot.c to change the addresses. Right now I got it to build but I just get a black screen. The main purpose of this reply is to note that I will carry on with or without asm1989's updated code.

finsig_thumb2 seems to work except it cannot find set_control_event. It finds the "LogicalEvent:0x%08x:adr:%p,Para:%ld" string but fails at "sig_match_set_control_event: not LogCameraEvent".
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2019, 22:47:35 by SX720 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #156 on: 16 / September / 2019, 12:48:52 »
Right now I got it to build but I just get a black screen
Generally, LED blinking is a good way to see how far you got. Also, if you have the various CHDK task hooks implemented, disable them, and just start a task that blinks in a loop. There's an example in sx710 101a.

I have the 101a version anyway so less work is lost than I thought because I think I will need to make some changes to boot.c to change the addresses.
I would suggest re-disassembling the modified firmware asm using capdis. In the sx710 and g7x files, I commented the capdis options for each function, so if I need to make a new firmware sub, I can just re-paste the options, copy the output and add any CHDK specifics.

finsig_thumb2 seems to work except it cannot find set_control_event. It finds the "LogicalEvent:0x%08x:adr:%p,Para:%ld" string but fails at "sig_match_set_control_event: not LogCameraEvent".
Interesting, it found it for 100e. Given the function is known in 100e, finding it manually should be straightforward. I verified it's not found by my  build, so it's not a problem with your capstone configuration or anything like that.

« Reply #157 on: 03 / November / 2019, 12:52:16 »
raise TimeoutError('No reply.')
I don't think we will receive a response from asm1989.

I started work on this using the latest available archive provided by reyalp then replaced boot.c with the one provided by srsa_4c earlier in the thread.

I have the 101a version anyway so less work is lost than I thought because I think I will need to make some changes to boot.c to change the addresses. Right now I got it to build but I just get a black screen. The main purpose of this reply is to note that I will carry on with or without asm1989's updated code.

Hey, I'm a programmer by trade, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm new here, though, and haven't worked with this specific codebase before, but I do own the camera, and I write software for a living (and I don't mean javascript/html, I mean C/C++/Swift) so mostly I'm just hoping to get pointed in the right direction :)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #158 on: 04 / November / 2019, 14:22:02 »
Hey, I'm a programmer by trade, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm new here, though, and haven't worked with this specific codebase before, but I do own the camera, and I write software for a living (and I don't mean javascript/html, I mean C/C++/Swift) so mostly I'm just hoping to get pointed in the right direction :)
Hi,

read this and the followup posts for some initial advice.

Offline SX720

« Reply #159 on: 09 / May / 2020, 16:31:00 »
I've resumed attempting to get this working and I've attempted to integrate the SX710 blink example and found that it did not work. This means it's likely failing before task_Startup_my() or I have the wrong LED address. I didn't make any changes to the blink code from the SX710 including using the same address.

Also to get this to build using the latest commit from the SVN repository add:
DIGIC = 60
to the end of makefile.inc.

srsa_4c Did you download the file from: http://filebin.net/rw32z7gmyl that was posted on the 23rd of April, 2016? if so can you please post it. This might help expedite the porting process.