supplierdeeply

FPS override

• 6 Replies
FPS override
« on: 29 / May / 2012, 17:05:53 »
Advertisements
its been few months with chdk on my camera.. and really enjoyin it..
long exposures, ultra high speed shutter, RAW and all... man this is
really crazy what it does to your innocent point and shoots....

But i think now is the time chdk should add up a new feature, fps override
during video...

and it should be very much possible (atleast to me) as magic lantern has already
done the thing with dslrs... now its time for chdk to do some reverse engineering
for the point and shoot cameras....

and dont forget to port that on A3300IS

Re: FPS override
« Reply #1 on: 24 / October / 2013, 14:48:25 »
It would be a great feature! You could do time-lapses directly on your camera and much more!!

« Reply #2 on: 27 / March / 2015, 09:17:43 »
It would be a great feature! You could do time-lapses directly on your camera and much more!!

Efforts have been made by programmers to override the fps during video capturing with CHDK so you can do time-lapses directly on your camera.
For the moment there are two .lua scripts (funnel's: fpscontrol.lua, and a1ex's: fps.lua) with some limits. You can find them, and test them in your camera, at the following forum thread:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7938

« Reply #3 on: 27 / March / 2016, 10:07:01 »
I'd like to bump this request!

Firstly, I'd like to say what a cool project CHDK is and thank everybody involved in it! That's before I go on to elaborate on my request having not contributed at all!

My camera does 30fps, but I would like it to do 24.

I recently replaced my Powershot SX240 HS with a 280, which only does 30 fps and not 24 like the SX240!!! My SX240 broke and I thought I'd get another one second hand as the camera was exactly what I needed. The cheapest deal I could find was actually for the largely identical but mostly more capable 280, so I got that, but it doesn't do 24fps!? Why Canon have not provided this function with a later more advanced model and the new DIGIC 6 processor is beyond me!

I got the the SX240 HS because of its low price, compactness, its large zoom, and its video capabilities. Because of it's price, I'm more willing to put it in the way of harm to get the cool shots, because it won't be the end of the world if it gets destroyed. Maybe, I'll put together some shots I've taken through not being so worried about getting my camera damaged, and make a second post.

24fps gives that cinema/movie feel, or to put it another way, the ability to provide a heightened 'suspension of disbelief' that might be achieved with the movie feel.

You can convert from 60fps or 30fps, but it's always best to start with 24fps as the source!

My friend is as good as a professional video producer, and he has decided to do a fair bit of video work with his SLR. So, as part of the idea of the CHDK is to give professional like functionality to more consumer focused equipment, why not focus on the video capabilities of the consumer compacts a bit more?

Anyway, that's my argument or angle of encouragement.

« Reply #4 on: 27 / March / 2016, 10:19:07 »
Did you read through the forum thread linked above and try the scripts posted there?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 27 / March / 2016, 11:06:36 »
Why Canon have not provided this function with a later more advanced model and the new DIGIC 6 processor is beyond me!
Their new high-end compacts do offer several frame rates. Sadly, that's restricted to those models. Clearly a marketing decision.
So, as part of the idea of the CHDK is to give professional like functionality to more consumer focused equipment, why not focus on the video capabilities of the consumer compacts a bit more?
Such contribution is always welcome. Unfortunately, the few active developers around here are usually busy with maintaining the project itself and have no time working on new, ground-breaking features...

« Reply #6 on: 29 / March / 2016, 16:13:34 »
Did you read through the forum thread linked above and try the scripts posted there?

Yeah. I'm very tempted to get involved in code (or whatever you might call it), but I'm always distracting myself with new stuff, and should really focus and spend some time actually filming with the capability I've got, rather than take on something new and be obsessive about such things. Otherwise, I'll never get anything done! :-)

Thanks for drawing my attention to it though. In the end I judged drawing attention to it would be a good middle ground between me doing it (that's if I could) and me doing nothing at all.