• 10 Replies
AllBest Request :-) "Super Tele-macro Mode"
« on: 08 / December / 2007, 14:56:05 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 19:47:43 by Woodsman »

Re: AllBest Request :-) "Super Tele-macro Mode"
« Reply #1 on: 08 / December / 2007, 17:53:09 »
Very intresting :) I'll be thinking about it  :) may be super-super-super tele-macro?  :xmas
I'll test it seriously

Offline emu

• A710is - Fingalo's build
« Reply #2 on: 09 / December / 2007, 09:10:16 »
Allbest? Are you aware of that "Bug" in earlier builds of CHDK, where a Super-Tele Macro mode was accidentally engaged by using a script that was testing the zoom-speed and zoom positions, and then overriding it with a manual zoom control?

If not, please read this: "Tele Macro Mode" and this "Super Tele-macro Mode Comments"

I noticed when using the "Override Subject Distance" option on your new menus, that it ALMOST wants to go into that mode if I choose a very small focal-length and have the zoom lens set on certain settings.

Is there ANY way that you can duplicate this effect WITHOUT making it sound like the lens is about to die?

If you can .... man, would that be fantastic. That accidental (but dangerous sounding) Super Tele-macro Mode was better than any lens combinations that I could add to my camera.

WARNING: Kids, do not try this one at home! While I have engaged this feature quite a few times just after discovering it, it still makes my lens motors do some nasty noises. And the only way to reset the lens back to functioning normally is by powering down the camera and powering back up again. I have long since stopped experimenting with it for fear it might ruin or wear something internally eventually. But if a SAFE way is found to engage this mode?? Wow, it'll be like getting a whole new Super-Duper-Macro lens for your camera at the touch of a button.

I was just thinking .... maybe it would require nothing more than a Zoom-position Override that could be used in Super-Macro mode? As that's when it would occur (if I remember correctly).

just use a raynox macro lens - affordable (<40 bucks) and fantastic ! (e.g. M-250)

« Reply #3 on: 02 / March / 2008, 10:53:43 »
Hi all!

I think i just discovered something new! :o

I was just testing out a video zoom- and MF script for my Powershot A620, and I managed to put it into this super-tele macro mode!!! Has this been done before on the A620? I only heard about it for the S3. But suddenly my A620 was focusing so close I could see the smudge on the lens IN FOCUS! I had to make objects literally touch the lens before coming into focus.  :blink:

But, as described by others, the lenses made terrible sounds that freaked me out, so I managed to shut it down, remove the card and start it up again... It sounded seriously painful. :-X Also, I noticed the LCD displayed "E13" in the bottom left corner before I shut it down, and the camera made an alarming beeping sound.

Obviously I am not very keen on doing this to my camera again, as it is very precoius to me  :P. But I hope this is helpful to someone, and that this feature may someday be _safely_ incorporated.

To be precise, I used this script:
UBASIC/Scripts: Easy Zoom & MF while Video Recording - CHDK Wiki
on a PowerShot A620 using Allbest v.37.

What I did, if anyone wants to replicate, was to zoom in on an object while filming, use the close focus function and move the camera until the object was in focus (about 25 cm), and then zoom out again while moving the camera towards the object. This made the camera focus ridiculously close! There may be something I did that I didn't think about that also contributed, but I don't think so.

!!UPDATE!! :D:

I just remembered, I have the video!!! I will post this at http://folk.ntnu.no/asmunder/super-tele-macro.wmv soon.
(I hope windows media video will suffice, i don't have any converter on this computer.)
18:56 -> video has now been posted and the link is active

Best regards,
Aasmund.
« Last Edit: 02 / March / 2008, 12:57:32 by aaervik »

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #4 on: 02 / March / 2008, 13:01:29 »
I just remembered, I have the video!!! I will post this at http://folk.ntnu.no/asmunder/super-tele-macro.wmv soon.
(I hope windows media video will suffice, i don't have any converter on this computer.)

Great find!!! :lol Amazing video!
This proofs that Barney is right and it also works at least for the A620. Hopefully the devs will put an eye on this feature since it works for more than one cam.

BTW: Don't break your cam!

« Reply #5 on: 03 / March / 2008, 09:04:27 »
I was going to do that...but after after the sounds you mention....I won't :P it's only one week old and I won't torture her that way  :D
--
Alejandro

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #6 on: 03 / March / 2008, 19:20:46 »
i think it's not too good ideea to use the hardware outside the safe limits...
i managed a few times to get my A630 lesnse's locked, when i was writing zoom/focus script for video... i'm happy, that nothing happened... i also noticed that sometimes i got a super tele macro mode, but it's out of normal range... so i don't really recommend, until somebody disassambles every camera model and verifies that everything goes fine...

finally i made a very safe-to-use script :D

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #7 on: 14 / March / 2008, 05:14:01 »
when I zoom out to 1x the camera by default does for a moment almost focus on the dust in the lens without causing problems so focusing closer than 1 cm from the lens I think would be possible.
hasn't anybody tried this mode in tiny steps?

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #8 on: 14 / March / 2008, 10:02:09 »
@a710is I didn't notice that so far, which mode did you use?

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #9 on: 14 / March / 2008, 10:06:50 »
I think it happens in any mode. you know that when it's zooming it loses focus and as it reaches 1x I can see small out of focus circles from the dust. but only for a moment cause then it regains focus of what's infront of it.