How to STOP script via USB remote? - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

How to STOP script via USB remote?

• 37 Replies

Offline Paco

Re: How to STOP script via USB remote?
« Reply #20 on: 26 / June / 2016, 22:28:00 »
Advertisements

This issue has been corrected in CHDK 1.5, hidden files should no longer appear there, unless you enable a new option in CHDK menu.

I installed v1.4.1 and, sure enough, the hidden files are visible in the CHDK menu.

Now, can you explain why I need to use an 'on/off' sequence to start the old and new version of your script, and just an 'on' to stop the old version but an 'on/off' to stop the new version? Thanks.

« Reply #21 on: 26 / June / 2016, 22:46:03 »
Now, can you explain why I need to use an 'on/off' sequence to start the old and new version of your script, and just an 'on' to stop the old version but an 'on/off' to stop the new version? Thanks.
I'm not sure if you are asking more than one question here?

For now I will assume that you are not asking why you need to use an 'on/off' sequence to start the old and new version of your script?  You just want to know why you need in on/off vs an on to stop the old version?

The old version of the script would pause shooting when it sensed the USB go to +5V.  However, the script would not actually exit until you released the +5 from the USB connector. And if the camera was busy, the script could miss the assertion of the +5V if it was not maintained long enough.  You mentioned this issue in one of your earlier posts.

The new version of the script pauses when it sees a complete off/on/off sequence. This was done using a CHDK Lua function call that returns the length of the most recent pulse.  Doing so means that if the camera is busy you will not miss a short off/on/off pulse from the USB remote switch.

Trade off.  A guarantee of not missing a USB remote signal vs the need to press and release the switch in order to halt shooting.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Paco

« Reply #22 on: 26 / June / 2016, 22:51:56 »
OK. And why does start-up require 'on/off' for both? Is there a way to have it start as soon as the switch goes on and then stop when the switch is off?

« Reply #23 on: 26 / June / 2016, 22:53:51 »
Is there a way to have it start as soon as the switch goes on and then stop when the switch is off?
Probably. I'll take a look tomorrow - it's late here now.

Offline Paco

« Reply #24 on: 26 / June / 2016, 23:00:24 »
OK. Sure. Thanks for all your help.

« Reply #25 on: 26 / June / 2016, 23:03:42 »
OK. Sure. Thanks for all your help.
Try this - I can't test it tonight but it should work if the USB remote code will launch the script when the remote goes active (rather than off/on/off) - that's the part I can't test.

Offline Paco

« Reply #26 on: 27 / June / 2016, 00:34:08 »
I tried it but it starts with an 'on/off' and takes one shot and finishes.

« Reply #27 on: 27 / June / 2016, 07:39:59 »
I tried it but it starts with an 'on/off' and takes one shot and finishes.
Yea - I sort of expected that might happen.  Changing it would require a custom build of CHDK.   Not hard to do but you'd be stuck with maintaining your own version.

Or maybe you could change your workflow?  Launch a script "normally" from CHDK <ALT> mode by pressing the shutter button, and then use  the remote to shoot continuously when pressed,  idle when not pressed?
« Last Edit: 27 / June / 2016, 08:15:00 by waterwingz »

Offline Paco

« Reply #28 on: 27 / June / 2016, 13:43:25 »
That's what I do now but it requires 'on/off' to start and to stop. So that is normal?

« Reply #29 on: 27 / June / 2016, 16:50:35 »
That's what I do now but it requires 'on/off' to start and to stop. So that is normal?
I guess it's"normal" because that's what I coded it to do, thinking (based on your first post) that you wanted to actually start the script by pressing the remote button.  I'll post a version tonight that does what I described in my previous post