Ken Rockwell Zoom

• 5 Replies

Offline Ant

Ken Rockwell Zoom
« on: 03 / July / 2016, 17:44:00 »
Advertisements
Like in Magic Lantern.
QuickReview:
This feature allows you to zoom in as soon as you take the picture (without having to press PLAY).

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Ken Rockwell Zoom
« Reply #1 on: 04 / July / 2016, 11:32:37 »
Can you explain - in detail - how it works?

Offline Ant

« Reply #2 on: 04 / July / 2016, 14:18:59 »
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269.msg109593#msg109593

Image Review
QuickReview default: just like in standard firmware.
CanonMnu:Hold→PLAY: if you set Image Review: Hold in Canon menu, it will go to PLAY mode instead. This allows you to zoom in as soon as you take the picture (without having to press PLAY). Credits goto Ken Rockwell for suggesting this.

Quick Zoom Faster zoom in PLAY mode, for checking critical focus:
OFF
ON - zooms faster than Canon firmware.
SinglePress → 100%: a single press of Zoom In will zoom all the way in (to 100%) - on center point. Next press will zoom out (full screen image).
Full zoom on AF point: similar, but it will zoom on currently selected autofocus point.
Full zoom on last position: similar, but it will remember the last position of the zoom box.

I don't now how it works in Canon's PowerShot cameras...
In my EOS M3 this feature has already been implemented by Canon, but it works every time.   
My suggestion is go to "Image Review" and "Full zoom on AF point" if I pressed "Zoom In" button instantly after picture was taken.
« Last Edit: 04 / July / 2016, 14:20:34 by Ant »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 04 / July / 2016, 15:10:02 »
Image Review
if you set Image Review: Hold in Canon menu, it will go to PLAY mode instead. This allows you to zoom in as soon as you take the picture (without having to press PLAY).
On compacts, when Image review (called 'Review' in the English menu) is set to 'Hold', it's already possible to zoom in & out without switching to playback mode (after taking a picture). Does this work differently on the M3?

Quick Zoom Faster zoom in PLAY mode, for checking critical focus:
OFF
ON - zooms faster than Canon firmware.
This isn't trivial to implement. We'd have to track the state of the zoom buttons and issue multiple press/unpress events while they are being held down. We'd also have to watch out that the hack is not affecting interaction with other parts of the Canon UI.
SinglePress → 100%: a single press of Zoom In will zoom all the way in (to 100%) - on center point. Next press will zoom out (full screen image).
Could be doable, I guess.
When the image is zoomed in, pressing MENU restores 100% view on compacts. Is this different on M3?

Full zoom on AF point: similar, but it will zoom on currently selected autofocus point.
Full zoom on last position: similar, but it will remember the last position of the zoom box.
No idea (how to determine the AF point?). Zooming to a certain part of an image (other than the center) could be difficult when using keypress events. These features would require research.

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: 04 / July / 2016, 16:18:43 »
On compacts, when Image review (called 'Review' in the English menu) is set to 'Hold', it's already possible to zoom in & out without switching to playback mode (after taking a picture). Does this work differently on the M3?
No. But on my EOS450D, when Image review is set to 'Hold', pressing to  "Zoom In" button causes another function (AF point selection).

When the image is zoomed in, pressing MENU restores 100% view on compacts. Is this different on M3?
No.

I suggest to go to Image review(when it shitched off in Canon menu) with maximal zoom(better to AF point) by single pressing of "Zoom In" button.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 05 / July / 2016, 20:32:23 »
I have made a small experiment. It's not what you describe, just a simple demo.
Only tried it on one camera (a3200).
It may not work on the M3, because that cam may not react to the "PressTeleButton" / "UnpressTeleButton" events (in that case, one would have to find the correct button events, by name and get the corresponding  ID). It also needs a correctly found 'recreview_hold' firmware variable.
What the patch does: when 'Review' is set to 'Hold', it zooms into the preview picture after the shot. Not very useful as it is.
Code: [Select]
Index: core/shooting.c
===================================================================
--- core/shooting.c (revision 4656)
+++ core/shooting.c (working copy)
@@ -1534,6 +1534,25 @@
     update_screen_dimensions();
 #endif

+    static int recreviewhold_prev = 0;
+    static int rrcounter = 0;
+    if (recreview_hold && !recreviewhold_prev)
+    {
+        rrcounter = 3;
+    }
+    if (rrcounter>0)
+    {
+        rrcounter--;
+        if (rrcounter==0)
+        {
+            PostLogicalEventToUI(0x854,1); // "PressTeleButton"
+            PostLogicalEventToUI(0x855,1); // "UnpressTeleButton"
+            PostLogicalEventToUI(0x854,1); // "PressTeleButton"
+            PostLogicalEventToUI(0x855,1); // "UnpressTeleButton"
+        }
+    }
+    recreviewhold_prev = recreview_hold;
+
     get_property_case(PROPCASE_SHOOTING_MODE, &t, 4);
 #ifdef CAM_MASK_VID_REC_ACTIVE
     mode |= shooting_mode_canon2chdk(t & (~CAM_MASK_VID_REC_ACTIVE));
For the feature you're talking about, I'd restrict it to only work in image review mode (which you get when 'Review' is set to 'Hold', after the shot). We are referring to that mode as "recreview_hold", based on the firmware variable's name.
Now, the difficulties:
- CHDK doesn't currently support disconnecting/reconnecting selected buttons from/to the Canon user interface. We'd have to handle the "zoom in" button specially during "recreview_hold" - there's no existing code that does that.
- The AF point related stuff is completely unknown. Note that the M3 has on-sensor phase detect pixels - no other Powershot has that feature.