Canon SX260HS accurate geo-tagging - page 4 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

Canon SX260HS accurate geo-tagging

• 34 Replies
Re: Canon SX260HS accurate geo-tagging
« Reply #30 on: 19 / January / 2017, 19:46:26 »
Advertisements
I'd still like to ask whether there were any experiments using different values for the second argument of set_led.
To answer your question - no.  But I don't recall a suggestion we try that?

When LED control is implemented with the LEDDrive fw function, the second parameter can be used to set various blinking patterns (when its value is other than 0 or 1). Perhaps it's working differently on this camera.
Open to suggestions here.  We could iterate the low integer possibilities.

But it seems to be related to how busy the camera is at the time? That too should be possible to test with some different scripts.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #31 on: 19 / January / 2017, 20:13:17 »
I'd still like to ask whether there were any experiments using different values for the second argument of set_led.
To answer your question - no.  But I don't recall a suggestion we try that?
Normally, 1 should make the LED switch on and stay on (until the firmware doesn't do something with that LED, like using it for AF assist light). This behaviour is also not documented on the scripting page (it's camera dependent anyway, not all ports use LEDDrive).

Open to suggestions here.  We could iterate the low integer possibilities.

But it seems to be related to how busy the camera is at the time?
Blinking is done by software (a fw task named LEDCon). But, I wouldn't expect that task to have difficulties on this cam when it works normally on other cams.

« Reply #32 on: 20 / January / 2017, 08:20:47 »
But it seems to be related to how busy the camera is at the time?
Blinking is done by software (a fw task named LEDCon). But, I wouldn't expect that task to have difficulties on this cam when it works normally on other cams.
Earlier in this thread, I sent gio_kap a simple script to repeatedly blink the camera's LEDs. He tells me that the result using the focus assist LED is very stable and consistent.  So it seems unlikely that the unstable operation seen with kap_uav.lua is related to the second parameter, which IIRC controlled brightness on some older PowerShots?

edit 1 : I'll automate the test version of the script to take 10 shots at each of the settings from 1 to 8.  It also occurs to me that the USB timing in the script runs with USB set to 1 mSec (via the high precision timing mechanism) so a test version that runs on a 10 mSec tic might be worthwhile (even though it works fine on other camera).

edit 2 : the precision timing mechanism is only enabled in pixhawk or gentwire USB mode - gio_kap was not using those mode.
« Last Edit: 20 / January / 2017, 21:21:26 by waterwingz »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #33 on: 21 / January / 2017, 08:54:16 »
Earlier in this thread, I sent gio_kap a simple script to repeatedly blink the camera's LEDs. He tells me that the result using the focus assist LED is very stable and consistent.
I have no idea then.
the second parameter, which IIRC controlled brightness on some older PowerShots?
Looked up 2 random old ports (a610, s2is):
The a610 port controls LEDs directly by GPIO and ignores the brightness argument in camera_set_led(). The s2is port uses an older fw function that supports brightness setting (probably only effective on some of the LEDs), but doesn't support blinking patterns either.
The set_led script command doesn't currently support a brightness parameter, not sure if it ever did.

« Reply #34 on: 21 / January / 2017, 11:13:56 »
I have no idea then.
Tried a small upgrade to the blinker script by adding the shooting sequence with delays between each step (script attached). It's very stable with the LED's on my G10 - except for the focus assist lamp.  That LED turns off as soon a  press("shoot_full_only") executes in the script.

Which pretty much explains what gio_kap was seeing on his SX260hs.

I had suggested that gio_kap try using something other than the focus assist lamp in his testing, but the SX260hs has only one other indicator lamp and it blinks during shooting under Canon control so that option was not available.  Thus we did not discover this earlier.

the second parameter, which IIRC controlled brightness on some older PowerShots?
The set_led script command doesn't currently support a brightness parameter, not sure if it ever did.
While I was updating the wiki documentation for set_led() to include information about the "blink" options via the second parameter, I looked at several implementations in my camera's lib.c files and realized the third parameter is ignored.  I just assumed it was used in older cams per the existing documentation.