Restore original firmware - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Restore original firmware

• 3 Replies
Restore original firmware
« on: 22 / August / 2016, 12:01:41 »
Advertisements
i have an canon  power-shot Elph 160 for some reason the original firmware seems to be corrupt is there a way to restore the original firmware i dump`t the firmware in the beginning
any help

Offline reyalp

Re: Restore original firmware
« Reply #1 on: 22 / August / 2016, 13:52:27 »
i have an canon  power-shot Elph 160 for some reason the original firmware seems to be corrupt is there a way to restore the original firmware i dump`t the firmware in the beginning
any help
What specific symptoms lead you to believe the original firmware is corrupt? Your options to attempt recovery will depend on what the actual behavior is.

There isn't any standard procedure to reflash the original firmware. We generally tell people it can't be done, although obviously it is possible in principle, and Ant seems to have managed it on an EOS M3.

Note that there is camera specific calibration and parameters in the onboard flash, so flashing an entire dump from a different camera would likely produce undesirable results.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / August / 2016, 17:03:41 »
what i meant to say when i wrote that i  "i dump`t the firmware in the beginning" is that i did it from my camera and the reason why i did it is to be on the safe side that after playing with it and gets corrupt i should have it to restore it and this what i"m trying to do.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 22 / August / 2016, 21:47:17 »
what i meant to say when i wrote that i  "i dump`t the firmware in the beginning" is that i did it from my camera and the reason why i did it is to be on the safe side that after playing with it and gets corrupt i should have it to restore it and this what i"m trying to do.
Again, what specific problem leads to you to believe the original firmware is "corrupt"?

Unless you've done some very specific low level actions (directly calling functions/eventprocs that modify the onboard flash), the chances of this are quite low.  In the entire ~9 year history of CHDK, there are maybe two cases where problems have been plausibly blamed on damage to the main firmware, and a couple more due to problems with flash params.
Don't forget what the H stands for.