SD1200IS no raw folder or raw files - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

SD1200IS no raw folder or raw files

• 17 Replies
« on: 27 / August / 2016, 14:48:10 »
Advertisements
Firmware update 100B full no longer capturing raw images or creating raw folder. I just downloaded 100B again; deleted all old files; re-formatted 4GB; loaded chdk w/firmware option; default settings using save raw/dng out format; raw ops/ext .CR2; raw folder A/RAW.

Seems camera now drops chdk upon turning it on. I may have to resort to a long re-format on PC versus quick mode? Is there a way to tell is camera is in chdk mode when it is on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tks in advance.......

Offline reyalp

Re: SD1200IS no raw folder or raw files
« Reply #1 on: 27 / August / 2016, 15:48:24 »
Firmware update 100B full no longer capturing raw images or creating raw folder. I just downloaded 100B again; deleted all old files; re-formatted 4GB; loaded chdk w/firmware option; default settings using save raw/dng out format; raw ops/ext .CR2; raw folder A/RAW.

Seems camera now drops chdk upon turning it on. I may have to resort to a long re-format on PC versus quick mode? Is there a way to tell is camera is in chdk mode when it is on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The "firmware update" option only loads CHDK once. To have CHDK autostart, you need to use "make card bootable".

With a 4gb card on an old camera like this, you need to make sure the card is formatted FAT16 using your PC. If you format it in camera or with default settings on a PC, it will be formatted FAT32, which the camera cannot boot from.

You do not need to use a low level or "full" format, quick is fine.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 27 / August / 2016, 16:38:46 »
Tried format in FAT (FAT16??) with no change -- still no raw folder or raw files.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 27 / August / 2016, 17:07:42 »
Tried format in FAT (FAT16??) with no change -- still no raw folder or raw files.
It must specifically be FAT16. If you do a default format, it will end up FAT32.

Do you see a CHDK splash screen when the camera starts?

« Reply #4 on: 27 / August / 2016, 18:33:41 »
You will probably find this process a lot easier if you use the STICK utility to setup your SD card.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #5 on: 27 / August / 2016, 19:15:41 »
No diff between FAT/FAT32 re no raw folder or raw files. There was no chdk splash screen when I turned camera "ON" although there was the usual splash screen when chdk was loaded (firmware update) and all the menus were avail in alt. My most recent attempt at resolution was to do a complete wipe of the partition -- without any change in status.

HELP!!!!

Must clarify. I had been taking chdk raw images that were populating the raw folder. Problem I believe started when I used a USB3 card reader to load raw files to PC. But at the same time I had a PC OS failure which may or not have anything to do with the chdk issue. I returned the USB3 reader and am now using a USB2. Seems camera is somehow blocking (???) the chdk "script" once it is turned on.

« Reply #6 on: 27 / August / 2016, 19:19:39 »
You did note reyalp's comment that if you are using the "firmware update" method then you need to use the Canon firmware update menu item each time you restart your camera?

It seems extremely unlikely that using a USB3 card reader has anything to do with this.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #7 on: 27 / August / 2016, 19:29:43 »
You will probably find this process a lot easier if you use the STICK utility to setup your SD card.

Can U elaborate why STICK is less prone to errors than manually? I was able to load/install/operate camera in chdk mode in no time following the chdk prep SD card instructions. I think something else happened when I used a USB3 reader (no names pls). But I don't have the expertise to drive thru all the potential iterations since then -- my priorities were to 1st resolve my OS crash due to ATAPI errors. 2nd chdk but I had no clue and still don't as to why camera loads chdk but drops it when it is turned on.
EOF

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 27 / August / 2016, 19:32:25 »
No diff between FAT/FAT32 re no raw folder or raw files.  There was no chdk splash screen when I turned camera "ON" although there was the usual splash screen when chdk was loaded (firmware update) and all the menus were avail in alt.
As I explained before, loading with "firm update" only runs CHDK once, it does not permanently enable CHDK on your camera.

If you do not see the CHDK splash screen, CHDK is not running at all, so no CHDK features will be available. If you switched to record mode after doing firm update, you will presumably be able to shoot raw until you power the camera off. If this is not the case, then you have some other problem.

If you want CHDK to start automatically, you need to make the card bootable. For your camera, this requires
1) Card formatted FAT16. IIRC, under windows, formatting a 4gb card FAT16 requires using the command line and specifying a 64k sector size.
2) Card lock set
3) Canon proprietary boot flag be set, for example using the CHDK "make card bootable" option or the Stick tool.

None of this should have anything to do with using USB3 or what you did with the OS on your PC.

edit:
Stick should handle #1 as well.
« Last Edit: 27 / August / 2016, 19:36:04 by reyalp »

« Reply #9 on: 27 / August / 2016, 19:42:41 »
You did note reyalp's comment that if you are using the "firmware update" method then you need to use the Canon firmware update menu item each time you restart your camera?

It seems extremely unlikely that using a USB3 card reader has anything to do with this.

Just fishing on the USB3 matter. Yes -- am aware the firmware method requires update before camera is turned on. I can say that when I first tried chdk I was seeing the alt menu flashing on/off while camera was "ON" and had no problems optaining raw images. Camera appears to block script??