• 7 Replies

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Some MD pics I have never shown here
« on: 05 / September / 2016, 13:37:15 »
Advertisements
Hej,
You prolly remember my MD bird pictures, but I also caught some lightnings and some ice cube, which I think I have have never shown here. I seldom come here now since my good old A540 has its small battery (the one keeping the clock) dead after ten years and my SX10 IS is disappointing for motion dtection (because it's big).

I now onw a pentax K500 and I wish I had something great like CHDK to use scripts and such but that'll likely never happen.

Enough talking, some pics :

I was so happy since the first shot came out so great, but then the ice cube melted and the drops made the script trigger... then I broke the glass because it's not so easy to let the ice cube fall in the middle of the glass and the glass was already a bit broken... but I was creative that day anyway.

I think it's not that great, the lightning itself has no "branch", but anyway it always feels great t ocatch one.

This one is much better, a great lightning but it couldn't turn on the street lamp anyway...

Well I had a thread with my MD birds shots, I think you can still see them there. My first pics had dry bread on it, which I discovered too late can kill the little birds... After some time I changed my setup to make it look more natural.

So thank you CHDK and guys, supports the internet of the old days, that is don't use fessebouc, gogole and such, both cannnibalizing the old internet.
« Last Edit: 27 / November / 2021, 04:38:26 by yvesson »

Offline reyalp

Re: Some MD pics I have never shown here
« Reply #1 on: 05 / September / 2016, 13:42:49 »
Nice  :D
I seldom come here now since my good old A540 has its small battery (the one keeping the clock) dead after ten years
I just recently had to replace the one on my a540 (and strangely, the one on my much newer sx160 too...)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / September / 2016, 23:25:51 »
Nice pictures! I think that if I had maybe ten such shots over my lifetime I'd be happy.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #3 on: 06 / September / 2016, 01:56:06 »

Yes, nice pictures.
I’m wondering about the lightning pictures with MD.
I read in some other threads, that the reaction time of MD is not fast enough for lightning...
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 06 / September / 2016, 02:35:47 »
I read in some other threads, that the reaction time of MD is not fast enough for lightning...
In my experience, a decent number of shots contain strikes, even when the storm isn't very active. So regardless of whether it "should" work, the end result is you get some shots of lightning. You also gets some shots without, but it's hard to say what fraction are due to MD being too slow vs responding to the sky lighting up from strikes that are not in view.
You might get similar results with an intervalometer, but you'd have a lot more shots to sort through.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #5 on: 06 / September / 2016, 11:45:08 »
Hej,
From my experience, it can detect every lightning, except if it's not ready because two are too close from each others. If was explained when it was introduced, there is a pre-flash that you don't see but it triggers the camera. What I can't guarantee is that the lightning is well in the frame and that you have a nice storm at night when you are ready, often it's in day time, which sucks, or the storm wakes you up and you stay in your bed. :þ
« Last Edit: 06 / September / 2016, 11:46:53 by yvesson »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 06 / September / 2016, 16:29:35 »
What I can't guarantee is that the lightning is well in the frame and that you have a nice storm at night when you are ready, often it's in day time, which sucks, or the storm wakes you up and you stay in your bed. :þ
MD can catch lightning quite well during the day, unlike the traditional approach of leaving the shutter open for a long time.

(bad shoot through a window screen)
https://goo.gl/photos/anBPsb8C9Ebk5Xxp8

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #7 on: 07 / September / 2016, 07:00:51 »
Hej,
Yes but the shoots are not nice during the day, thats' what I meant.