Help - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Help

• 5 Replies
Help
« on: 18 / October / 2016, 10:55:08 »
Advertisements
For a photo project I need a camera with characteristics similar to those of the powershot s100.
I have dificulties in chosing because know little about cameras.
Can anyone give me a suggestion of a not expensive camera?
Thank you.

A. Valente

Offline reyalp

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: 18 / October / 2016, 16:03:43 »
For a photo project I need a camera with characteristics similar to those of the powershot s100.
I have dificulties in chosing because know little about cameras.
Can anyone give me a suggestion of a not expensive camera?
Thank you.
Are you looking for a camera to use with CHDK, or just looking for a camera in general?

For CHDK, the most recent supported camera in this class is the s110. All of these cameras are out of production, but you might find something in the s90 - s110 range used or refurbished.

More recent Canon cameras in this class (compact enthusiast P&S) are the s120 and maybe g9x, but neither is currently supported by CHDK.

If you don't care about CHDK compatibility, you might be better off looking at general photography enthusiast sites like dpreview or asking in their forums.

If you give more details about the kind of project, we might be able to give other recommendations.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 18 / October / 2016, 16:35:23 »
Hello Reyalp
Thank you for your comments.
I am looking for a camera to use with CHDK, more precisely to allow me to take photos using time lapse.
My goal it to obtain a series of photographs to compose 360º views.
A friend of mine uses CHDK to do the job quickçy and without having to presss the camera botton for every one of the 72 photos necessary. It also allows to avoid all unwanted movements of the camera during the process.
I know that I could get one used, but it is not for personal use so a receipt is necessary.
I only referred the Powershot S100 to give an ideia of the overall characteristics of the camera that my friend uses.
I have checked the list of cameras for which CHDK is available, but my ignorance about camera characteristics was the reason to my help request.

Based on these additional details, have you any suggestion?

« Reply #3 on: 18 / October / 2016, 18:26:55 »
Hard to go wrong with this deal. One of the most recent cameras supported by CHDK - likely to be quite adequate for your application.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-elph-160-black-refurbished

Just don't wait too long - inventory on that refurb site changes daily.  You might even get an S100 (or S90/S95/S110) if you wait long enough and keep checking.  That's where I got my S100.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 19 / October / 2016, 01:31:53 »
I only referred the Powershot S100 to give an ideia of the overall characteristics of the camera that my friend uses.
I have checked the list of cameras for which CHDK is available, but my ignorance about camera characteristics was the reason to my help request.

If you are in the US and don't specifically need a higher-end camera like the S series, waterwingz recommendation is a good one.

If you aren't in the US, any of the relatively recent ixus/elph supported by CHDK are pretty similar. You can use http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/P-ID_(Table) to see a list of cameras by release date but beware not all cameras there are ported. Click through to the cameras wiki page or check if the autobuild pages if you aren't sure.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 19 / October / 2016, 04:53:09 »
Hello
Thanking you both for your help.
You solved my problem.
In Portugal the model is IXUS 160, and I already found were to buy one.
Tanks.