Update Firmware on a SD1100 IS with firmware vs. 1.0.0.0 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Update Firmware on a SD1100 IS with firmware vs. 1.0.0.0

• 4 Replies
Update Firmware on a SD1100 IS with firmware vs. 1.0.0.0
« on: 10 / January / 2017, 15:04:18 »
Advertisements
I have read all the helpful articles on updating to CHDK and they look very simple and straightforward. However, after completing the first steps it appears my firmware isn't within scope, since only the 100A, 100B and 100C are listed. I have checked Canon support and it says there are no firmware updates available for my camera. Is it possible there is a firmware hack on this site? I have the CameraView software for the Mac, and it indicates it can perform a firmware update. I also have access to the SD drive on my PC, and could do it manually from there.

I have a number of other point and shoot cameras but I would like to update this one as it still has a viewfinder, which has been discontinued in later models. Please advise. Thanks!!

Re: Update Firmware on a SD1100 IS with firmware vs. 1.0.0.0
« Reply #1 on: 10 / January / 2017, 15:18:04 »
I have read all the helpful articles on updating to CHDK and they look very simple and straightforward. However, after completing the first steps it appears my firmware isn't within scope, since only the 100A, 100B and 100C are listed. I have checked Canon support and it says there are no firmware updates available for my camera. Is it possible there is a firmware hack on this site? I have the CameraView software for the Mac, and it indicates it can perform a firmware update. I also have access to the SD drive on my PC, and could do it manually from there.

I have a number of other point and shoot cameras but I would like to update this one as it still has a viewfinder, which has been discontinued in later models. Please advise. Thanks!!

Your firmware version number is not 1.0.0.0 - that's not a valid firmware version number.  See the Note: section at the end of this CHDK wiki article :  How can I get the original firmware version number of my camera

It's quite likely that your firmware is actually supported.  But be aware that CHDK does not update or change the camera firmware in any way - it loads to camera RAM and "goes away" each time you turn the camera off.

I'd suggest you read some of this link :  Prepare your SD Card and then use the STICK utility linked here and at the top of that page to do all the hard work for you.

And you just want to check your firmware version, use the Automatic Camera Identifier and Downloader (ACID) utility.
« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2017, 15:20:46 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 10 / January / 2017, 15:31:16 »
Thanks I will follow your links. I performed the ver.req test and was surprised to see it did bring up the same number, as that number is not listed anywhere on the websites. Also my camera does not have a firmware setting in the display anywhere, and I checked the manual as well. Could it be a very very early incarnation of this camera? It seems odd. However, in checking the canon site I found a utility for importing the files and that does have a firmware update setting. Unfortunately its on the Mac, and I don't see any CHDK software that is compatible with the Mac, so I will need to figure out how to install it from the PC, and I am not sure how to do that since the instructions refer to a "Firmware update" setting on the camera.
TIA for your help.

« Reply #3 on: 10 / January / 2017, 15:58:59 »
I performed the ver.req test and was surprised to see it did bring up the same number, as that number is not listed anywhere on the websites.
From the article I linked :
Note: your camera's firmware version is NOT 1.0.0.0 or 1.0.1.0 ! It's a number that looks similar to this example: 1.01e. If you get a number like 1.0.1.0, then you did not do it properly and probably the ver.req or vers.req file in the root directory of the inserted SD-card is missing. Create that file or move/copy it to the card and try again !

Newer cameras also support a "vers.req" file in the same way. Note that it is called "vers.req" and not just "ver.req". That extra S in the filename allows you to even see the total number of shots that have been taken with your camera (taken movies are not counted) with the same keys pressed multiple times. For further info see this forum thread

In cameras that support vers.req, ver.req may no longer work, and all you'll get when you press [SET]+[DISP] will be the time clock. If this happens, you need to create "vers.req" instead of "ver.req" on your SD card (or create both to be sure). Then pressing [SET]+[DISP] will get you the version information instead of the time clock.
Most newer cameras (e.g. the G9 and the G10) support both, vers.req and ver.req; having one or another on the SD card will provide you with two independent sets of data after you press [SET]+[DISP]. Having both files on the card at the same time will make camera act as if there is only vers.req file present.

You can try to follow all of that or just use the ACID utility like I suggested?

Also my camera does not have a firmware setting in the display anywhere, and I checked the manual as well.
You will only see a "Firmware Update" menu item if you have a valid firmware update file (or CHDK hacked equivalent) in the top level folder of your SD card and if you start the camera using the "Playback" button rather than the On/Off button.

Again,  this all explained in the article I linked about preparing your SD card.

Could it be a very very early incarnation of this camera?
Almost certainly not.

However, in checking the canon site I found a utility for importing the files and that does have a firmware update setting. Unfortunately its on the Mac, and I don't see any CHDK software that is compatible with the Mac, so I will need to figure out how to install it from the PC, and I am not sure how to do that since the instructions refer to a "Firmware update" setting on the camera.
You are wasting your time trying to update the firmware on your camera.  You don't even know what your actual firmware version is yet - you have not followed the instructions I posted.  Sorry - I guess it's your time to feel free to waste but if you slow down and get the details right things will be a lot easier for you.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 10 / January / 2017, 17:29:16 »
I'm not sure why you got snarky--I had already completed the first two steps, I found I have firmware 100C--thank you for that. I also downloaded the other software "Stick" and upgraded my java to the SDK to run it. I will follow up by running the rest of the software on the PC, as i don't have a card reader for the Mac. Based on your response, I will try to figure it out for myself. Sorry if you feel imposed upon.