CHDK not working with SX150 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

CHDK not working with SX150

• 6 Replies

Offline Doug

CHDK not working with SX150
« on: 06 / February / 2017, 20:03:28 »
Advertisements
Okay, I'm new to CHDK. I have a Canon SK150IS. I went through the process if installing the proper version of CHDK on my SD card, put the card in the camera. The instructions say to turn on the camera with the PLAY button, then search the menus for for the Firmware Update tab and press that. Fine...except I've searched the menus far and wide, and I've found everything except a firmware update. It simply isn't there!!

What have I done wrong??

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDK not working with SX150
« Reply #1 on: 06 / February / 2017, 20:32:42 »
Try using STICK to install CHDK on the card.

« Reply #2 on: 06 / February / 2017, 20:58:16 »
You didn't give much details about how you actually put CHDK on the card.  What instructions did you follow ? (link please).  What type of computer do you have? Using a Mac can need some tricks depending on what you tried to do. 

If you look at the root folder on the SD card, is there a file called ps.fi2 ?

Complete documentation of all known methods of installing CHDK is here :  CHDK WIkia : Prepare your SD card.  However, the STICK method that srsa_4c mentioned is pretty much always the easiest and most reliable choice.

« Last Edit: 06 / February / 2017, 21:21:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Doug

« Reply #3 on: 07 / February / 2017, 00:33:03 »
Okay I'm running Win 7 on a modern 64bit PC machine. It's fast with good memory. The SD card is a 16gig Scandisk (works great with the camera). I downloaded the stable version for this camera from the CHDK website (the only one in the list for it) and zipped it straight to the SD cards root folder. Yes, ps.fl2 is on it. I put the card in the camera and followed the CHDK website directions to load it, which were to start the camera only with PLAY. Then to go into the menu and search for FIRM UPGRADE and hit that. But there is no FIRM UPGRADE anywhere in the menu that I could find, not in any of the three menu tabs.

Next, I also tried srsa_4c's idea of using STICK to (redo) the SD card. Well, I have Java, but STICK simply wouldn't open at all.

The first idea above did put CHDK on the card, but I couldn't find FIRM UPGRADE.
 ??? ?

Offline Doug

« Reply #4 on: 07 / February / 2017, 00:53:49 »
WHOOPS!! I put the card back in the camera, hit PLAY and then hit the up arrow and walla! The CHDK logo came up!! So...it works. Now, I use this camera mostly for shooting 720p videos. How can I determine, and use, the new functions for video? I didn't see anything new in the menus.

Even with the CHDK logo coming up, is it possible it is still not loading?

« Reply #5 on: 07 / February / 2017, 01:06:28 »
WHOOPS!! I put the card back in the camera, hit PLAY and then hit the up arrow and walla! The CHDK logo came up!! So...it works. Now, I use this camera mostly for shooting 720p videos. How can I determine, and use, the new functions for video? I didn't see anything new in the menus.
CHDK does not add anything to the Canon menus.  It has it's own menu system - including a Video option menu.  You have to press the <ALT> key for your camera,  and then the MENU button to get the CHDK menu up.  For the SX150, I believe the PLAYBACK button acts as the  default CHDK <ALT> button (you can changed it in the CHDK menu).  Press it quickly to enter <ALT>.   Press and hold a bit longer for the original Canon functionality.

You might be dissappointed in what CHDK adds to video.  It can't convert your camera to 1080p or increase frame rates.   You might want to take a look at this : CHDK Manual : Video Parameters
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2017, 01:09:12 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Doug

« Reply #6 on: 07 / February / 2017, 01:15:15 »
EDITED (see end)
Yea, I came around to the same conclusion: that I have to find the non-existent ALT button. You seem to think that the PLAY button becomes the ALT button once CHDK is loaded. Okay, I'll try that.

No, I'm not looking for a magic 1080p increase, but any increase in quality would be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help here. I'll let you know if the play button becomes the alt button!

New question; once I set up the CHDK menu, how do I get the camera back into shooting mode? [the lens is in and the screen has a stuck image on it] If I try to turn off the alt key (play key) nothing happens. If I try to turn the camera on with the on/off button, it shuts down and I have to do it all again.

Hummm...a lot to learn!
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2017, 01:26:36 by Doug »