A little more help needed with SX150. - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A little more help needed with SX150.

• 4 Replies

Offline Doug

« on: 07 / February / 2017, 17:22:10 »
Advertisements
Yesterday folks here on the board helped me get CHDK installed on my SD card and installed in Canon SX150 camera. Very nice! I do this by turning the camera on with PLAY (my ALT button), then going to MENU and finding FIRM UPDATE, hitting okay on that and the CHDK image comes up. Then I hit PLAY again and the Default Script shows in the bottom left corner. Then if I hit MENU, the CHDK features menu comes up. Here I can make my choices........cool...

....but that's it! There doesn't seem to be any way to get the camera back into shooting mode. The lens is still closed because it's in PLAY mode and the screen is locked on an image. The only way to shoot is to turn PLAY mode off and start over, but then I loose CHDK.

Oddly, I have a pro video background, but not with these little cameras. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

« Reply #1 on: 07 / February / 2017, 17:48:15 »
You don't lose CHDK when you leave ALT mode.   It'd still there in their background.  And if you select shooting overrides, like changes to video settings, it will apply those when you start recording. 

When you exit CHDK into play mode, half press the shutter button to go into shooting mode.

Edit: at some point you are probably going to want to configure your SD card so that CHDK autoloads at start up.  Going through the whole Firmware Update sequence each time gets tiring.
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2017, 17:52:00 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Doug

Re: A little more help needed with SX150.
« Reply #2 on: 07 / February / 2017, 17:58:50 »
Okay, after exiting the CHDK menu, I tried half pressing the shutter button as you suggested. I got a message on the bottom left of the screen that said: STARTED...FINISHED, but it stayed in PLAY mode. I've tried this numerous times, doesn't work.
 ??
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2017, 18:36:53 by Doug »

« Reply #3 on: 07 / February / 2017, 20:16:08 »
Okay, after exiting the CHDK menu, I tried half pressing the shutter button as you suggested. I got a message on the bottom left of the screen that said: STARTED...FINISHED, but it stayed in PLAY mode. I've tried this numerous times, doesn't work.
You exited the CHDK menu .. but were still in CHDK <ALT> mode. 

In <ALT> mode you can :
  • press the MENU key to bring up the CHDK menus
  • full press the shutter button to start the currently selected script
  • trigger some hard to understand keyboard shortcuts that should never have been added to CHDK in the first place
  • press the <ALT> key again to leave <ALT> mode and return to normal Canon processing

Try option 4 ?  Notice that the red <ALT> icon in the bottom center of your LCD disappears?  That tells you that you are back in regular Canon mode.
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2017, 20:20:10 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Doug

« Reply #4 on: 08 / February / 2017, 00:08:30 »
Okay, I got it all working. Someone here said that I might be disappointed with the video improvements. They were right. After trying a number of settings, video improvement was only barely noticeable. I do realize that CHDK is mainly for still images, so for video I think I'll be looking for a 1080p camera (at least). Thanks to waterwingz and all others how helped!!