Please let me know what I should do to test this.AFAIK, we have never made a definitive list for testing every thing that a porter sets in the sub/<fw> directories. In general, the first firmware version of a new port gets some high level functionality tests - with a bias towards things that are hard to find or have caused problems. Just getting CHDK to load and display menus correctly is a big step all by itself.
Subsequent additions of different firmware versions for any released port get a bit of a free pass. If they appear to work then, based on the original port being good, we mostly assume they are okay until anyone reports otherwise .
So the big things I'd suggest checking are :
There is learning curve here so feel free to post questions. If all else fails - RTFM. And tell us how you did - if the 1.01b build passes the above list of tests without crashing then we will release it for distribution in the autobuild.
- RAW/DNG images - take some shot with DNG enabled and assure yourself that the DNG images actually look like uncorrected versions of the related JPG
- USB remote - enable this and just use a regular USB cable plugged into a spared charger or computer port to trigger it and assure it's working
- exposure overrides in the Enhanced Photo Operations menu - set both Tv, Sv, & Av and make sure the resulting image change appropriately when you change the values
- set a long exposure time (30 seconds) and then see if dark frame subtraction control works ( if not, it will take 60 seconds to complete a 30 second exposure)
- try out the edge overlay, historgram, and zebra functions and make sure they seem to work (i.e. usable images on the camera's LCD)
- try running some scripts - there are four simple ones included with the CHDK installation file and hundreds more online at places like this
- play with anything else that tweaks your interest
Thanks, I will test these out and get back to you.
Here's what I have so far.
RAW/DNG - I'm not noticing much difference between RAW and JPEG in Photoshop - is it possible that this camera's profile is in Photoshop, and it converts the RAW image automatically?
USB remote - can't get the computer to recognize the camera when it's connected. I may have to get an actual USB remote and test with that.
Histograms look OK.
Zebra - can't get this to display.
Edge overlay looks OK.
Color change is fine.
The text reader doesn't recognize carriage returns. I converted the user manual to text, and it looked OK on my computer, but when viewed with the camera, it's a solid block of text with no returns at the end of each line. Whatever code my text viewer is using to indicate this, the camera isn't recognizing it.
When I change settings in Play (so the menu doesn't blink), if the lens retracts, pressing the shutter doesn't reactivate it. I have to turn the camera on and off to use the new settings.
Still need to get to the exposure overrides, dark frame subtraction, and long exposure times - I haven't been able to get these to work but this may be due to other settings in the Canon menu.