really annoying video ads - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

really annoying video ads

• 8 Replies

Offline reyalp

really annoying video ads
« on: 09 / March / 2017, 02:20:40 »
Advertisements
I've been getting ads which auto-play video and audio, and mess up scrolling in firefox. They link to balanceus dot org ?utm_source=Clearstream&utm_medium=Balance30&utm_campaign=ABAMoms2017
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: really annoying video ads
« Reply #1 on: 09 / March / 2017, 07:45:19 »
Hi,

Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware that adsense allowed that, I've reported it in and will see what's their response.

In any case, if it get's too troublesome, I recommend using uBlock.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2017, 14:40:06 »
Hi,

Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware that adsense allowed that, I've reported it in and will see what's their response.

In any case, if it get's too troublesome, I recommend using uBlock.
Thanks. I know I could block them, but I'd rather not subject users who want help with CHDK to them.

edit:
I'm now getting similar ads that go to www dot atomicblonde dot com
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2017, 15:42:18 by reyalp »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 08 / April / 2017, 15:18:11 »
The auto play video ads seem to be from the turn.com network.

If there's a way to blacklist this provider, that would nice.

Again, I know I can personally block them, but I'd rather the primary support resource for the community not be infested with the such annoying garbage.

« Reply #4 on: 08 / April / 2017, 19:40:55 »
The auto play video ads seem to be from the turn.com network.

If there's a way to blacklist this provider, that would nice.

Again, I know I can personally block them, but I'd rather the primary support resource for the community not be infested with the such annoying garbage.

Hi, are the ads flash-based? You might want to consider somehting like this as a workaround:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashstopper/

Frankly, I have been working on the migration of the forum from SMF to a new platform, hopefully to make it more usable across platforms. SMF is still one of the best [or "less worst"] traditional forum platforms out there but it is very ancient tech. I can't say when will this migration happen, but as it will definitely have some caveats, it won't be happening in a short period of time; I will bring to discussion prior to doing anything. 

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 08 / April / 2017, 20:28:57 »
Hi, are the ads flash-based? You might want to consider somehting like this as a workaround:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashstopper/
html5,  I already keep flash click-to-activate, but again...
I posted hoping there was some way you could opt out of running the ads from the offending provider. If not, that's OK.

« Reply #6 on: 09 / April / 2017, 03:35:49 »
I posted hoping there was some way you could opt out of running the ads from the offending provider. If not, that's OK.

That's the first thing I tried to find back when this thread was initiated, and I couldn't find a way so far.

In any case, do those appear in any of the ad placement locations, or on specific ones?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 09 / April / 2017, 14:58:36 »
That's the first thing I tried to find back when this thread was initiated, and I couldn't find a way so far.

In any case, do those appear in any of the ad placement locations, or on specific ones?
Top and bottom, see attached.

Clicking on the "ad choices" icon gives
Turn delivered this ad based on non personally identifiable data (non-PII) about this device gathered through various data sources, including information derived from websites visited and apps used. Turn encourages everyone to review privacy policies associated with websites they visit and apps they use. To modify your preferences for receiving ads from Turn or to review our privacy policy, please follow the links below.
Set Your Ad Preferences | Turn Privacy Policy | Industry Resources: EU | US

« Reply #8 on: 13 / May / 2017, 10:56:41 »
I think I've found a way ofhow to disable this ad type delivery, please allow for some time and check if those keep reappearing.

Cheers