CHDK permanently disabled on S100? <SOLVED - INVALID> - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

CHDK permanently disabled on S100? <SOLVED - INVALID>

• 8 Replies
« on: 12 / May / 2017, 16:30:59 »
Advertisements
This is a bit of a puzzle, but what appears to have happened is that a lua script or a botched card prep procedure has disabled CHDK on two different Canon S100's.   ...apologies for a way-too-long post!

Both S100's are running firmware 102a.   I used STICK on a late 2012 iMac running OS X 10.12.4 and Java 1.8.0_131 to install CHDK 1.4.1.

I successfully prepped a 32GB SANDISK flash card and used both the MDFB2013.lua motion detection script and msl's Extended Video R2 script. (Script 3 at: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts).   Both worked well.

I wanted to do an very long extended video so I tried prepping a 64GB Sandisk card.  That's when the strangeness set in.

Two different cards failed at EJECT stage in STICK.     A snippet from the end of log file:

CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/uartrtst.lua -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/uartrtst.lua
CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/ubtest.bas -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/ubtest.bas
CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/vidtest.lua -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/vidtest.lua
CHDK/SYMBOLS -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SYMBOLS
CHDK/SYMBOLS/icon_10.rbf -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SYMBOLS/icon_10.rbf
CHDK/SYMBOLS/icon_16.rbf -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/SYMBOLS/icon_16.rbf
CHDK/syscurves.CVF -> /Volumes/CHDK64GB/./CHDK/syscurves.CVF'
   return code was 0
Card is prepared

Ejecting card  - please wait ...
Command 'hdiutil eject /dev/disk0' = '"disk0" unmounted.'
   return code was 1

The cards appeared to be normal so I tried one of them in a camera. (Bad idea probably).  The camera booted, but it came up in PLAYBACK mode.  There appears to be no way to switch a camera started in playback mode to camera mode.

I tried loading CHDK using the firmware update method (perhaps the fatal mistake?), with the same results, the camera comes up in PLAYBACK mode, and is stuck there.

Unlocking the card results in the camera operating normally.

I moved my Stick installation to the trash, emptied the trash and restarted the machine. I then downloaded and reinstalled STICK.   After using Disk Utility to format the card first as MacOS Extended and then as FAT32, I did a low-level format of the card in the camera, and only then used STICK to prep the card.  It finished normally, including a normal eject.

That card behaved exactly the same way as it did earlier.   I tried a second 64GB card with the same results.

I (wrongly) thought the problem might be with the size of the card.  I prepped a 32GB card.  It behaved the same way.

Now the really strange part.  I rummaged through my collection of flash cards and found a 4GB card from 2013 containing CHDK 1.2.0-3354.   It behaves exactly the same way.  It starts the camera in PLAYBACK mode, and there's no apparent way to switch to camera mode.

I tried downloading the official Canon 102a firmware for the S100, but the in-camera firmware updater won't overwrite the the firmware with the same version.

So bottom line, I'm left with two S100's that work fine except they can't boot CHDK!   Any suggestions?

Anyone know a way to switch a camera that was started in PLAYBACK mode into camera mode?

« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2017, 17:45:31 by RAMilewski »

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK permanently disabled on S100?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / May / 2017, 17:10:16 »
Have you tried holding the power button a little longer to start in record mode, or half press the shutter after it boots?

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: CHDK permanently disabled on S100?
« Reply #2 on: 12 / May / 2017, 17:44:20 »
OK. That's deeply embarrassing!!  :o

Both of those worked!   Many thanks!

Re: CHDK permanently disabled on S100? <SOLVED - INVALID>
« Reply #3 on: 12 / May / 2017, 17:50:06 »
Changed the title to add <SOLVED - INVALID>

...maybe that should be "The guy who wrote this (me) is an IDIOT".

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 12 / May / 2017, 21:11:21 »
Changed the title to add <SOLVED - INVALID>

...maybe that should be "The guy who wrote this (me) is an IDIOT".
Don't be hard on yourself, you followed the right troubleshooting steps by trying different cards and versions, and wrote an excellent problem report :D

This is actually a fairly of common source of confusion, it should probably be highlighted in the FAQ and CHDK Users manual.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 15 / May / 2017, 15:35:50 »
Many thanks for the kind words reyalp, but I've been debugging software since the 8080 was a hot new processor.  ...and analog circuits before then.  Getting stumped by an overloaded control is pretty bad. :-[

...not bad enough to keep me from doing it all again though!  :D

« Reply #6 on: 15 / May / 2017, 19:16:43 »
Many thanks for the kind words reyalp, but I've been debugging software since the 8080 was a hot new processor.  ...and analog circuits before then.  Getting stumped by an overloaded control is pretty bad. :-[
Blame the CHDK documentation.  Everyone else does.   :-X
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #7 on: 16 / May / 2017, 14:02:29 »
Can't do that's waterwingz, it's a Wiki!   Any time and effort spent complaining about it is better used helping to improve it.

« Reply #8 on: 16 / May / 2017, 15:16:30 »
Can't do that's waterwingz, it's a Wiki!   Any time and effort spent complaining about it is better used helping to improve it.
Thanks for that! 4,226  and counting.
« Last Edit: 16 / May / 2017, 15:18:24 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16